How to BYPASS Body Corporate

MoozlyBelle

My body corporate has been unable and unwilling to provide our complex with fibre.

It has been two years since I actively started pursuing the notion for the complex to get fibre and they just keep making excuses. The admin of the body corporate has now blocked my emails and I can no longer make contact with her. This issue is affecting my job and I can no longer sit around and wait for them to wake up.

How can I bypass the body corporate and get fibre in my unit?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
My body corporate has been unable and unwilling to provide our complex with fibre.

It has been two years since I actively started pursuing the notion for the complex to get fibre and they just keep making excuses. The admin of the body corporate has now blocked my emails and I can no longer make contact with her. This issue is affecting my job and I can no longer sit around and wait for them to wake up.

sell and buy a full title house

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member

Become a trustee and drive your own agenda.
Thats what I did. Well I still looked after what was good for the complex, but I took on the fibre project and delivered it within my first year.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep

CSOS. The guys are quite helpful. Body Corporate cannot simply ignore you, request an SGM and get a few signatures to force their hand.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep

Or get a trustee to sell, realise how much not having fibre devalued the property and suddenly you have an ally.

MoozlyBelle

Become a trustee and drive your own agenda.
Thats what I did. Well I still looked after what was good for the complex, but I took on the fibre project and delivered it within my first year.
They have secret meetings that no one knows about and if you aren't aware of the location you cannot become a trustee. My neighbour was a trustee for 8 years and they just had a secret meeting and voted him off because he was unable to attend once. Even the AGM they will send out a notice saying that the AGM is cancelled the day before and then they still have it somewhere else and just send us the minutes. I have tried almost everything to get on the board.

MoozlyBelle

Or get a trustee to sell, realise how much not having fibre devalued the property and suddenly you have an ally.
No one can sell or rent because the entire Parklands has fibre except for our complex. Even having more people on my side is not swaying the body corporate to do their job.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
No one can sell or rent because the entire Parklands has fibre except for our complex. Even having more people on my side is not swaying the body corporate to do their job.
The SGM comprises of all other general meetings held in the scheme that is not an AGM. A SGM may be called by the trustees whenever they think fit, and must be called upon a written request made by owners entitled to 25 percent of the total of the participation quotas of all sections, or by any mortgagee holding mortgage bonds over at least 25 percent in number of the units in the scheme. Should the trustees fail to call such a meeting within 14 days of being so requested, the owners or mortgagee concerned shall be entitled to call the meeting themselves.

A special resolution is passed by at least 75 percent of all the members of a body corporate reckoned in number (by putting up of hands) and all members reckoned in value (by looking at an owners participation quota) of owners present at the meeting or represented by proxy or by a representative of such member at the meeting. It usually involves among other a decision needed for non-luxurious improvements, claims against the developer, changing or cancelling of exclusive use areas, changes to the conduct rules, termination of the managing agents contract, extending of a unit, contributions to the levy fund etc.

Edit: so you can call the meeting yourself and vote on a binding decision that must be adhered to

Polymathic

Honorary Master
They have secret meetings that no one knows about and if you aren't aware of the location you cannot become a trustee. My neighbour was a trustee for 8 years and they just had a secret meeting and voted him off because he was unable to attend once. Even the AGM they will send out a notice saying that the AGM is cancelled the day before and then they still have it somewhere else and just send us the minutes. I have tried almost everything to get on the board.
All I see is excuses

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Wait, only the body corporate can vote a member off - not the trustees (unless its for gross negligence). Meeting locations have to be made known to all body corporate members.

Seriously, take your grievances to CSOS and they'll swiftly sort these guys out. If you have proof of all this then it's extremely illegal and the trustees can be held personally liable.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
They cannot have secret meetings. As per the Act, all meetings SHALL be minuted, and BC members can request the minutes, which the trustees need to maintain "in perpetuity". You may also request an invitation (non-votng) to the trustee meetings, and they cannot reasonably deny it. If any of what you are stating is true, go to CSOS.

RedViking

Nord of the South

I sit with the same problem. Vodacom said I just need permission then they can install straight to my house. So that will be my next move. Fortunately they don't block my emails yet, although they are VERY slow to respond.

Reactions: Yuu

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I sit with the same problem. Vodacom said I just need permission then they can install straight to my house. So that will be my next move. Fortunately they don't block my emails yet, although they are VERY slow to respond.
I am curious, even if you get permission, have you agreed to pay for the trenching on the common property? Or will Vodacom pay for it?

RedViking

Nord of the South
I am curious, even if you get permission, have you agreed to pay for the trenching on the common property? Or will Vodacom pay for it?
I haven't looked at the costs yet. So far I am just trying to make it possible. I am fortunate that my unit is next to the external wall though. So it will come straight form outside into my yard.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I haven't looked at the costs yet. So far I am just trying to make it possible. I am fortunate that my unit is next to the external wall though. So it will come straight form outside into my yard.
OK, makes sense. A pity though, the value of all units in the estate will dwindle (along with your own, even if you do have fiber). They cannot unreasonably deny the request, so what exactly is their objection?