StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Further questioned about how HTC will compete with the bonus data many other manufacturers offer, as well as Samsung’s accidental damage from handling warranty, HTC was careful not to compare themselves directly to other manufacturers.
Basically they can't compete, as is evident in how the HTC One M8 launch deal is more expensive on Vodacom, compared to the Samsung S5 or Sony Z2. Unless I am wrong and the One M8 deals on the other networks are much more favourable?

Jan

Drifting in the black
Basically they can't compete, as is evident in how the HTC One M8 launch deal is more expensive on Vodacom, compared to the Samsung S5 or Sony Z2. Unless I am wrong and the One M8 deals on the other networks are much more favourable?
I'm still waiting on confirmation whether Cell C and Telkom will be offering the HTC One M8, but MTN's contract deals followed a similar pattern to Vodacom's: One M8 more expensive than S5 and Z2.

MKFrost

Expert Member
Loved HTC phones, still have my Desire HD here somewhere BUT

I'll never buy another HTC, not after their way of dealing with clients in regards to ROM updates which was promised and then retracted etc... also as I'm not going to buy a phone from a supplier who already pulled out of here when things got difficult. With my luck I will buy one right as the company goes tits up.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Unfortunately Samsung's mission of crushing the competition has been quite successful thus far...

PhireSide

Executive Member
I too loved my Desire S, very solidly built phone but HTC has the worst marketing ever and the phone never really featured. On the plus side, I bought it for R998 in 2012 brand new and sold it the beginning of this year for R1000 so it had a fair innings and held the little value it started with :D

The SW updates were very sparse as well, which is a shame :(

Brawler

Executive Member
M8 is worth the risks with HTC SA. Beautiful device.

The repairs are handled by regenesis and are very good. Only issue is lack of covers etc but that is the price to pay for not being a sheep.

Crowley

Executive Member

The repairs are handled by regenesis and are very good. Only issue is lack of covers etc but that is the price to pay for not being a sheep.
Does it take a phone to make you feel like an unique snowflake? The same as the other six billion unique snowflakes on earth?

HTC screwed up with their updates that never came and their lack of support in SA. I'm all for more competition in the market but what makes you think they will change their spots after another phone launch? Last time they even had a HTC rep on mybb that lasted all of two weeks.

FarligOpptreden

Executive Member

Coming from a One X, sadly Sony got my vote this time around with the Z2. It beats the M8 in all aspects, even looks and build quality.

skimread

Executive Member
Won't fall into the HTC trap again. Since HTC support and Android updates are bad I decided I might as well in future go no-name Chinese brands

Brawler

Executive Member
Coming from a One X, sadly Sony got my vote this time around with the Z2. It beats the M8 in all aspects, even looks and build quality.
Yeah right.
I get that that two factors are highly subjective but I highly doubt you have seen the M8 in real life. Z2 doesn't come close.

What makes the Z2 build quality and looks so great? It's no different to original z and z1, good but not anywhere near m8.

Last edited:

mr_norris

Expert Member

+1 on that.

On the covers issue, I haven't looked for any locally as I ordered one from MobileFun. There is quite a selection. And of course, it comes with a cover in the box :)

HTC screwed up with their updates that never came and their lack of support in SA. I'm all for more competition in the market but what makes you think they will change their spots after another phone launch? Last time they even had a HTC rep on mybb that lasted all of two weeks.
I agree with that. BUT this time around I think they're trying things differently. If you're lucky enough to get one of the EU models, you'll get releases as they come out for the rest of the world. And of course they're committing themselves to release updates for the current models for the next two years. Hell, the M8 (and M7) will get Android L 90 days after google releases the code to them. The only set back would be the local networks.

Spec-wise, I agree with the Z2 and S5 being better. But I think looks and build quality is a matter of opinion. And in my opinion, the M8 outdoes the S5 and Z2 in build and looks.

crack2483

My first HTC was the s710 I think. The slide out kb windows phone. What happened to them because they were sponsoring the sprinboks back in the day. Who was leaf? The distributors?

Anakha56

My only issue with HTC is the freaking slow release times. Samsung can do same month release, HTC can only do after 3 months. If they can get the window closer to their launch then I will be getting HTC again.

Anakha56

Resurrection time! What ever happened to HTC? This article comes up promising big things and ... nothing. I see very little, if any, HTC devices being offered by any providers. I wonder if they even exist locally anymore...