Huawei P Smart (2019)

Tcyte

My mistake, you're correct. The P Smart has 3GB of RAM, not 4.

Would you recommend any other devices in this price bracket that are worthy alternatives to these two?
I would still go for the Psmart, it has a better chipset, better display, better battery and comes with android Pie and EMUI 9

Mohil

I would still go for the Psmart, it has a better chipset, better display, better battery and comes with android Pie and EMUI 9
The new Nokia phones use Android One, which is almost stock Android with little to no bloatware. Android Pie has already been rolled out for these handsets. The battery is a concern to me though, but in general, everything else about the 7.1 appeals to me more than the P Smart.
Thanks for your input.

powermzii

Expert Member
Do the local ones have NFC? Thinking about getting one but probably need to go see one instore

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Overall you will get similar performance no matter which one you choose, personally I would choose the Nokia, it has a premium build , Gorilla Glass, USB-C, HDR10 display, better camera performance.
Lets throw the Honor 8x into the ring... Ur thoughtz?

Sumen

Expert Member
Lets throw the Honor 8x into the ring... Ur thoughtz?
He/she said they will be taking out a contract, so that automatically rules out the 8x but if they were on prepaid i would have recommended it if the Nokia 7.1 hadn't come down in price.

Overall the Nokia 7.1 is a much more complete phone, it doesn't miss out on any features like fast charging, NFC and DRM L1 including the other features I mentioned above.

And chipset is not too far off from the Kirin 710.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Got the P Smart 2019 for a little time, here are some pics of it next to the Mate 20 Pro.

The Notch on the PSmart is so small it kind of makes the smaller display of the PSmart look bigger

Tcyte

It's really surprising how these entry level devices are getting nicer designs like flagships

AirWolf

Honorary Master
It's really surprising how these entry level devices are getting nicer designs like flagships

The most expensive components are the higher end processors and camera system - so you could technically have the exact same body with lower spec internals at a significantly lower cost to a flagship.

Park@82

Honorary Master
The most expensive components are the higher end processors and camera system - so you could technically have the exact same body with lower spec internals at a significantly lower cost to a flagship.
The Psmart has a plastic back tough as far as I can tell.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Got the January Security Patch today. Overall this phone is pretty good, the UI is fast and fluid, the screen is bright enough for most conditions and the battery life is holding up well.

Have to say it is refreshing to have a a Physical Fingerprint Scanner that is so ridiculously fast, the phone also comes with Facial Recognition but is not as robust as the Mate 20 Pro's far more advanced implementation.

Will post a more thorough review this weekend. I am very happy with it though, for what it is worth, it's a lot of bang for the money.

With that said do not expect to Multitask endlessly as you would with a P20 Pro or Mate 20 Pro, the P Smart 2019 has 3GB RAM, which is enough to keep some decent apps open e.g. Google Chrome, Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook, Tapatalk and Music, but once you start adding more intense stuff like games such as Asphalt, you will get some apps refreshing, also if you begin adding bigger windows in Chrome which in itself can be a resource hog, it may be best to find a more efficient web browser if you are guilty of opening endless browser windows.

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Got the January Security Patch today. Overall this phone is pretty good, the UI is fast and fluid, the screen is bright enough for most conditions and the battery life is holding up well.

Will post a more thorough review this weekend. I am very happy with it though, for what it is worth, it's a lot of bang for the money.

With that said do not expect to Multitask endlessly as you would with a P20 Pro or Mate 20 Pro, the P Smart 2019 has 3GB RAM, which is enough to keep some decent apps open e.g. Google Chrome, Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook, Tapatalk and Music, but once you start adding more intense stuff like games such as Asphalt, you will get some apps refreshing, also if you begin adding bigger windows in Chrome which in itself can be a resource hog, it may be best to find a more efficient web browser if you are guilty of opening endless browser windows.
That's just how Emui works. You need to turn off battery optimization for apps you care about.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
That's just how Emui works. You need to turn off battery optimization for apps you care about.
Yes, I have done that already, however there is only so much you can do when you have apps like Google Chrome or a game like Asphalt running.

The phone handles regular multitasking with ease, it's when you try to use it like a top end beast that things get a bit wonky.

If I wasn't such a phone nerd and was just an average user, the P Smart would be awesome, the battery life alone just puts a smile on my face, you take the thing out your pocket at 5PM and it's still well above 50%, absolutely fantastic.