Huawei P Smart (2019)

Tcyte

I love the AI part, imagine high vision on such a device

Mohil

Hi all.
Which phone would you recommend between this (P-Smart 2019) and the Nokia 7.1? They're in a similar price range on contract from Voda, and I'm quite interested in both. Personally, the 7.1 looks like a better phone overall, but I'm still not convinced by the new Nokias.
Thanks...

Sumen

Expert Member
Hi all.
Which phone would you recommend between this (P-Smart 2019) and the Nokia 7.1? They're in a similar price range on contract from Voda, and I'm quite interested in both. Personally, the 7.1 looks like a better phone overall, but I'm still not convinced by the new Nokias.
Thanks...
Overall you will get similar performance no matter which one you choose, personally I would choose the Nokia, it has a premium build , Gorilla Glass, USB-C, HDR10 display, better camera performance.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Been using the phone for about 3 weeks now.

Overall package for the price --> 9/10.

Battery gets you through the day even on heavy usage --> 5-6 hours screen on time.
Light usage will get you close to two days. 9/10.

Battery management is very aggressive - in my testing I find that even some manually managed apps do not continue to run in the background eg. Internet Speed Meter Lite, which I use to keep track of network speed as well as mobile and wifi usage, tends to close from time to time.

Full specs here: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p_smart_2019-9409.php

Main camera is specified as:
13 MP, f/1.8, PDAF
2 MP, depth sensor

But produced images are software controlled to a maximum of 3264 x 2448 i.e 8MP.

Selfie camera is indeed 16MP.

Security-wise you have both a fingerprint reader on the back and face-unlock using the selfie camera.
Fingerprint reader is superfast and enrolled fingers can be used in any direction to unlock - have not had a single read failure. 10/10.

Face-unlock is less reliable/slower and depends on the angle you are holding the phone as well as ambient light - the screen does glow brighter to cast light on your face, but testing it I found face-unlock is more likely to fail in darker environments. 7/10.

Have not fulled tested the cameras yet. Will update further.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Main camera is specified as:
13 MP, f/1.8, PDAF
2 MP, depth sensor

But produced images are software controlled to a maximum of 3264 x 2448 i.e 8MP.
Strange. There is resolution settings on the top (to access menu swipe left).

What the app "Device Info HW" says on camera (screenshot)? I'd like to compare with my Y6.

PS. do not enable "Beauty", it lowers a sharpnes and a file is much smaller.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Strange. There is resolution settings on the top (to access menu swipe left).

What the app "Device Info HW" says on camera (screenshot)? I'd like to compare with my Y6.

PS. do not enable "Beauty", it lowers a sharpnes and a file is much smaller.
Just explored the camera settings more. The standard photo mode does 8MP.

The following additional modes do do 13MP:
- Pro
- HDR
- Filter
- Stickers
All the above found under the "More" option.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Just explored the camera settings more. The standard photo mode does 8MP.

The following additional modes do do 13MP:
- Pro
- HDR
- Filter
- Stickers
All the above found under the "More" option.
Maybe I should say swipe left and right instead. One brings icons with HDR and filters, the other one brings Settings menu. Resolution selection is in Settings (on my EMUI 8).

Thanks for sreenshots. Dual camera with depth sensor is what what we pay for. When comparing individual rear camera with Y6 2018, it looks almost identical (sensor size, etc.). Difference is only in optics, aperture 1.8 like in flagship phones (2.2 on Y6). Note, the depth camera is colour, not mono. I love these shots from mono camera on previous generation of Huawei phones, but it is personal.

One warning. Camera 2 API is "limited". It is a big step backwards. On Y6 2018 it is full (3) - the latest from Oreo. We should bring it to Huawei as a complain and request a full Camera 2 API.

Mohil

Overall you will get similar performance no matter which one you choose, personally I would choose the Nokia, it has a premium build , Gorilla Glass, USB-C, HDR10 display, better camera performance.
Thanks for your response, Sumen.
I've just noticed that the version of the Nokia 7.1 available from Vodacom comes with 32GB storage and 3GB RAM, compared to the 64GB and 4GB of the P Smart 2019. With this in mind, would you still choose the Nokia over the Huawei?

In addition, are there any other handsets in this price bracket that you would consider, apart from these two?

Sumen

Expert Member
Thanks for your response, Sumen.
I've just noticed that the version of the Nokia 7.1 available from Vodacom comes with 32GB storage and 3GB RAM, compared to the 64GB and 4GB of the P Smart 2019. With this in mind, would you still choose the Nokia over the Huawei?
It's 3GB not 4GB.

Mohil

My mistake, you're correct. The P Smart has 3GB of RAM, not 4.

Would you recommend any other devices in this price bracket that are worthy alternatives to these two?

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Maybe I should say swipe left and right instead. One brings icons with HDR and filters, the other one brings Settings menu. Resolution selection is in Settings (on my EMUI 8).
Swiping does nothing on this phone camera app - you have to click more for the other photo options, and the settings gear for settings.