Hydroponic Gardening DIY

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Below was my original post and things have changed quite a bit. I will try and add some better info for first time growers as well as some info on where things can be purchased.

So I would like to try to do some hydroponic gardening as it doesn't seem too complicated for the most part. Now initially we will probably be trying to grow some herbs etc and may add a few things to that list as time goes on.

We live in a flat so the vertical hydroponic systems are the most appealing due to our space constraints. This system (or similar) is what I will be aiming for first:

[video=youtube;k6HLhZ0U95U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6HLhZ0U95U[/video]

Now for what I'll actually need:
-water pump
-air pump with air stones
-piping & containers
-large bottom container for the water etc
-hydroponic food
-growth medium (perlite/hydroballs)
-pH testing kit or similar
-rockwool cubes (for growing the seeds/or one of the other methods mentioned)

For those in the know...how easy/difficult is it to grow the seeds until they are sufficiently big enough to be put into the hydroponic garden itself (ie. roots have frown out).

Any other comments or tips/things to look out for
guide-to-organic-hydroponic-gardening.jpg

Last edited:

Le^stat

Another way to do this:
Grow light (prefibly High Pressure Sodium)
Coco brick
Perlite
hydroton
Hydro nutrients

Note: with regards to your current setup...
Make sure your reservoir water temp stays below 80F or you will get root rot.
Environment control is very important, consider adding a fan to simulate wind, will strengthen the stems.

You will need the following:
PH pen with calibration fluid
TDS(PPM) pen (measures total dissolved salts)

Good luck..this hobby is very rewarding and time consuming.

If you need any equipment i recommend GreenThumbHydroponics.co.za(speak to Andy)

AniV

Expert Member
So, it's a little different, but have you looked into Aquaponics instead of Hydroponics?

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
So, it's a little different, but have you looked into Aquaponics instead of Hydroponics?
Aniv I just done have enough space unfortunately to make it work (wish I did though)

@LeStat-I will be putting it on our little "stoep" outside so I'm hoping there will be enough sun and wind stimulation. The water temp is quite an issue though due to our current temps :/

Schit I keep forgetting to post my setup. Okay, Sunday I promise I'll snap some pics and put them up. Tomorrow is drunk(er) day...

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
For those interested the vertical stacking pots are available from easygrow.co.za. Still trying to get pricing from them. Funny enough today at Hyperama I see they're selling hydroponically grown lettuce with the roots still attached...pretty cool.

Seriously

Honorary Master
For those interested the vertical stacking pots are available from easygrow.co.za. Still trying to get pricing from them. Funny enough today at Hyperama I see they're selling hydroponically grown lettuce with the roots still attached...pretty cool.
Just spoke to Peter. They only open on monday then speak to Madie. He reckons R50-R60 per pot depending on colour. A bit heavy IMHO.

Tel - 011 672 0346

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Just spoke to Peter. They only open on monday then speak to Madie. He reckons R50-R60 per pot depending on colour. A bit heavy IMHO.

Tel - 011 672 0346
Really..? Thanks for the info :)Thats actually pretty decent. Lifestyle in JHB sells them for much more (triple :erm:) and builders warehouse sells similar ones for R179 (Although thy are very nice but not worth that much).

Seriously

Honorary Master
Really..? Thanks for the info :)Thats actually pretty decent. Lifestyle in JHB sells them for much more (triple :erm:) and builders warehouse sells similar ones for R179 (Although thy are very nice but not worth that much).
Hell, thanks. Maybe I will call them on Monday and start. I was looking for something like this.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Hell, thanks. Maybe I will call them on Monday and start. I was looking for something like this.
Yeah if thats the price then I don't mind either. Will be a good way to get things going :)

@LeStat : For curiosity sake how do you go about growing your seedlings...?

Le^stat

Yeah if thats the price then I don't mind either. Will be a good way to get things going :)

@LeStat : For curiosity sake how do you go about growing your seedlings...?
When seeds and clones are concerned I prefer to use rapid rooters(order off amazon) or rockwool.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
So I would like to try to do some hydroponic gardening as it doesn't seem too complicated for the most part. Now initially we will probably be trying to grow some herbs etc and may add a few things to that list as time goes on.

We live in a flat so the vertical hydroponic systems are the most appealing due to our space constraints. This system (or similar) is what I will be aiming for first:

[video=youtube;k6HLhZ0U95U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6HLhZ0U95U[/video]

Now for what I'll actually need:
-water pump
-air pump with air stones
-piping & containers
-large bottom container for the water etc
-hydroponic food
-growth medium (perlite/hydroballs)
-pH testing kit or similar
-rockwool cubes (for growing the seeds/or one of the other methods mentioned)

For those in the know...how easy/difficult is it to grow the seeds until they are sufficiently big enough to be put into the hydroponic garden itself (ie. roots have frown out).

Any other comments or tips/things to look out for
Get one of these if you are serious:
http://www.greenthumbhydroponics.co.za/p3533023/6-in-1-Water-Monitor.aspx

Otherwise you will give up on frustration due to plants dying and you not knowing why.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
When seeds and clones are concerned I prefer to use rapid rooters(order off amazon) or rockwool.
Ok will be trying rockwool. Do you spray them or leave them with some of the solution in the bottom of a tray with a dome for humidity...?

Get one of these if you are serious:
http://www.greenthumbhydroponics.co.za/p3533023/6-in-1-Water-Monitor.aspx

Otherwise you will give up on frustration due to plants dying and you not knowing why.
Thanks will look into it.

Le^stat

Soak the rockwool in water....then squeeze lightly so its not overly drenched. Pop the seed in and place in humidity dome.

Le^stat

I use normal tap water with a PH of 6. But I let is stand for 2 days first just to let some of the chlorine evaporate.