iBurst 1Mb Wireless crap speeds... [SOLVED - MTU]

|3ash3r

I really want to cancel this crap right now with ridiculously slow speeds experienced across every app that uses the connection.
Speedtest result

So, is this what you call a 1Mb connection? :mad: :wtf:

|3ash3r

I really want to cancel this crap right now with ridiculously slow speeds experienced across every app that uses the connection.
Speedtest result

So, is this what you call a 1Mb connection? :mad: :wtf:

And if you think that test was bad and couldn't get any worse, here is a test taken straight after a restart of the PC with nothing (absolutely nothing) else downloading. Now, you tell me :wtf:

Fiza

speedtests.JPG damn. this is what i get on my 1Mb iburst connection, and this is without an external antenna

|3ash3r

View attachment 36086 damn. this is what i get on my 1Mb iburst connection, and this is without an external antenna

That's crazy speed at 4 to 5 times faster than mine! Do you also have the USB Only modem? If so, then that is unacceptable from iBurst to have such a vast difference in speeds on the same connection and the same modem!

zloc

Iburst is crap. I have 100% signal with a antenna and some days the speed is so crap. At a stage last year i could not even go onto a site. When i called about whats going on they ask if i have signal -.-'.

i mean wtf how can it work one day and the next its so slow ><

I really want to move to a other ISP

|3ash3r

And if you think that test was bad and couldn't get any worse, here is a test taken straight after a restart of the PC with nothing (absolutely nothing) else downloading. Now, you tell me :wtf:

So just a quick wrap up. Using the new modem, I get the following:
Test 1
Test 2

And the old modem:
Test 3

Furthermore, using
ping www.google.co.za -t
to see the different pings on the new and old modems, I was getting between 600ms and 1500ms pings on the new modem and between 50ms and 200ms on the old modem (big difference) with both modems having between 0.5% and 3.00% frame error rate during the ping. After playing DotA 2 on the old modem, I could play the entire game on a ping less than 300ms but then the connection dropped and I could not connect again (some error about "The remote connection cannot be completed" or some rubbish to that affect). Using the new modem on DotA 2 for the past 2 weeks, I have not gotten a ping below 900ms to UK West servers.

So, can I now pay 18% of my bill?

|3ash3r

Iburst is crap. I have 100% signal with a antenna and some days the speed is so crap. At a stage last year i could not even go onto a site. When i called about whats going on they ask if i have signal -.-'.

i mean wtf how can it work one day and the next its so slow ><

I really want to move to a other ISP

Definitely. I've been looking on AfriHost for some deals and they seem to be the best in terms of price atm. However, I don't know of anyone who is with AfriHost (most of my mates are on WebAfrica or MWeb) but I have considered the 1Mbps and 2Mbps ADSL bundles which seem to be solid connections and seems to be definitely better than this Wireless 1Mbps crap from iBurst.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
2447934687.png

Faster than 59% of ZA? Is that a joke?

Edit, why dont you switch to ADSL?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Must be a joke!

I'm thinking of switching seeing as though AfriHost has a R297 bundle for a 1Mbps ADSL line. Even the 2Mbps at R497 is fine. Only thing is, which modem can I get?

I've seen this: D-Link 24Mbps Down / 1Mbps Up

I think what you mean to say is 2Mbps and not 24, also a 2Meg line does not have 1Meg upload...it is 512KB/s

And here is a good router

|3ash3r

I think what you mean to say is 2Mbps and not 24, also a 2Meg line does not have 1Meg upload...it is 512KB/s

And here is a good router

Thanks Rickster. Must be a typo on comx-computers' website (it says 24Mbps downstream?)

Certainly am considering a switch to ADSL!

|3ash3r

Quick update to this, I fiddled around with MTU settings and found a good number that was giving me 0.5Mbps down, 0.2Mbps up and 86ms ping. I'm at work atm, so I will test it again tonight to see what happens.

Over-Dose

I would also be part of the group that has no confidence in iBurst. Have been in an area that has had "Fair" signal, but was kept hoping that one day things will become better, due to iBurst explaining that they are always putting up new towers for signal. So signal should get better over time. The connection (without any external hardware) was fine up until 2 to 3 years down the line, out of the blue it started degrading in signal quality. I had to add a panel outside, which improved things for a few months, but then things went back to "worse". I then went and sourced an omni antennae, which improved performance slightly, but not that much.

Ended up deciding to stop with the irate phone calls to people at technical support, and just quit the service. Have been on ADSL for over a year now, and have not regretted a single day with fixed line.

iBurst have great data pricing, but their wireless service in some areas, is not worth the effort it would take to get any assistance.

I say leave them. Your money is better off elsewhere.