iBurst USB Modem falls apart (again)

donn_edwards

I thought I would post a photo of my second iBurst USB modem as a warning to others:

iBurst+Modem.jpg

The previous USB modem fell apart in exactly the same way, when I was on month 18 of my 2 year contract.

It is also shown on my blog post about the subject.

I can't understand how iBurst can only offer a 1-year warranty for the device, yet they spread the cost of the modem out over 2 years on contract. I'm sure that's illegal.

If anyone would like the iBurst antenna just PM me to collect it for free. I live near Cresta, Joburg. And good luck with your iBurst bandwidth. My 3G modem from MTN is much quicker, and it hasn't fallen apart even after 28 months.

creeper

Executive Member
PM me. I have one lying around at home that I need to get rid of. Aerial is missing.

Just_Ice

Executive Member
3 and a half years later and mine is still great...
I dont know how yours is in that condition..

donn_edwards

3 and a half years later and mine is still great...
I don't know how yours is in that condition..

Regular daily use. Every morning I pack up my laptop, put the modem in its little plastic case and take it to work. At the end of the day I unplug it and repeat the procedure. The USB connector is not very secure, and it works itself loose and starts flopping around. I have even tried to preserve its life by using a USB extender cord. The marks on the modem are from sticky tape used to try to hold everything together after the joint gave out.

The Acer laptop has lasted perfectly well. I was forced to buy it because the modem wouldn't work with my previous (slow) PC, even though there is nothing in the documentation about this. I'm careful with my stuff.

Its just a bad design, requiring such a fragile joint to take all the weight of the modem.

Mental-Tree

I have a 4 year old usb modem which I also lug around with me every day in my laptop bag. It is still in perfect condition. This seems like a PEBCAC issue to me

Lupus

Honorary Master
Regular daily use. Every morning I pack up my laptop, put the modem in its little plastic case and take it to work. At the end of the day I unplug it and repeat the procedure. The USB connector is not very secure, and it works itself loose and starts flopping around. I have even tried to preserve its life by using a USB extender cord. The marks on the modem are from sticky tape used to try to hold everything together after the joint gave out.

The Acer laptop has lasted perfectly well. I was forced to buy it because the modem wouldn't work with my previous (slow) PC, even though there is nothing in the documentation about this. I'm careful with my stuff.

Its just a bad design, requiring such a fragile joint to take all the weight of the modem.

But the modem also comes with a little stand so you plug it in and use the stand?

donn_edwards

But the modem also comes with a little stand so you plug it in and use the stand?

No stand supplied with either modem. Just a cap thingy that protects the USB connector when it isn't plugged in. No instructions or box supplied with the original modem either.

Perhaps you could post a picture of the modem with the stand in use? I could not find a manual for the modem, only this picture:
USBNewVersion.jpg

minion

sjo that looks man handled! haha! rough. mine still looks perfect after 2 years. dont carry it around though, its just plug into my desktop with antenna. iburst still sucks though, not renewing my contract, can't take these slow speeds anymore.

Lupus

Honorary Master
No stand supplied with either modem. Just a cap thingy that protects the USB connector when it isn't plugged in. No instructions or box supplied with the original modem either.

Perhaps you could post a picture of the modem with the stand in use? I could not find a manual for the modem, only this picture:
View attachment 74787

Well it's with my wife right now, but when I got the usb modem it came with everything in a box manual and a disk