Ideal reliable first car

sjg2797

Hi guys
I'll be starting my first job in a year's time. I'll be an article clerk so I'll need a reliable vehicle. BUDGET is 140k max. I want to have a look around at different second hand models and wanted to know which vehicles are ideal from a reliability and serviceability stand point. I know polo's would be a common suggestion but I'm worried about the cost of maintenance since my current polo seems to cost an arm and a leg anytime anything breaks.

Last edited:

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I’ve got a 2011 Nissan Micra which has been solid and is cheap to run. ABS, 6 airbags, CD player, decent engine and decent fuel economy.

Would recommend as a first car. Also not a hijack risk at all.

jouda

Expert Member
Hi guys
I'll be starting my first job in a year's time. I'll be an article clerk so I'll need a reliable vehicle. I want to have a look around at different second hand models and wanted to know which vehicles are ideal from a reliability and serviceability stand point. I know polo's would be a common suggestion but I'm worried about the cost of maintenance since my current polo seems to cost an arm and a leg anytime anything breaks.
I recentlt bought a VW UP as a runaround. So far so good. Getring 18KM/L. Go drive one, better value than the Polo IMHO

Sumen

Expert Member
Hi guys
I'll be starting my first job in a year's time. I'll be an article clerk so I'll need a reliable vehicle. I want to have a look around at different second hand models and wanted to know which vehicles are ideal from a reliability and serviceability stand point. I know polo's would be a common suggestion but I'm worried about the cost of maintenance since my current polo seems to cost an arm and a leg anytime anything breaks.
Budget?

Nicholas Lisse

I’ve got a 2011 Nissan Micra which has been solid and is cheap to run. ABS, 6 airbags, CD player, decent engine and decent fuel economy.

Would recommend as a first car. Also not a hijack risk at all.
Have the 1.5 dci Micra, services are a bit expensive but you win at the fuel pumps. Awesome little thing.

Get the 1.2. It will tick all the boxes.

Craig

Honorary Master
toyota corolla, its just does not die.
Common fallacy. I had a 160i GLE runx shape corrola. Was expensive to service and engine died at just over 200k km. Sold it as is.

OP, what is you budget?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
OP you need to supply a budget, otherwise we can recommend thousands of cars.

How is this your first car though if you currently have a Polo? And why don't you just keep it? Why is it expensive, do you take it to the dealership for maintenance? Do you service it correctly on schedule or only when you feel it needs it?

kripstoe

Expert Member
How is this your first car though if you currently have a Polo? And why don't you just keep it? Why is it expensive, do you take it to the dealership for maintenance? Do you service it correctly on schedule or only when you feel it needs it?
Also like to know this, since Polos should not be expensive to maintain. Would still be cheaper than forking out money to buy another car.

Stefan.dl

Polo can be very expensive to maintain when things go wrong even if you don't take it to a dealer.

GlassMirror

Expert Member
Get a 2012-2015 Ford Figo, solid cars and not too expensive to service. Parts are also common for it, not hijack risk like a Polo

Craig

Honorary Master
Our 6r polo had cheap services, cheap and easy to find parts. I know the 9n Facelift model was a bit of a btch. Maybe that's the one he has.