iMessage activation issue

ludi85

Vodacom is useless, and they don't want to admit they have a problem. I have spoken to their call centre numerous times, tried Twitter too, and they want to blame Apple. I did call Apple about a week ago, and my call is still open at third level support with Apple engineering. They did also pull a few logs from my phone to investigate.

My iMessage worked perfectly fine on my 11 Pro, but my activation issues started when I upgraded to my 12 Pro (7 March). From the forum and from what I can see on Twitter, the issue seems to have started sometime in February, and I cannot help to wonder if Vodacom caused the problem with their carrier update (45.1) to enable 5G?

Anyone with Vodacom carrier settings that is still on 45 that also cannot activate iMessage?

Wildalc

Vodacom is useless, and they don't want to admit they have a problem. I have spoken to their call centre numerous times, tried Twitter too, and they want to blame Apple. I did call Apple about a week ago, and my call is still open at third level support with Apple engineering. They did also pull a few logs from my phone to investigate.

My iMessage worked perfectly fine on my 11 Pro, but my activation issues started when I upgraded to my 12 Pro (7 March). From the forum and from what I can see on Twitter, the issue seems to have started sometime in February, and I cannot help to wonder if Vodacom caused the problem with their carrier update (45.1) to enable 5G?
Interesting maybe that is the issue and they don’t know how to fix it yet. I phoned apple last night and the guy I spoke to had come across the issue and said almost immediately that it was a carrier issue. Waiting for the recording of the call and then will check in with Vodacom again

rvanwyk

Expert Member
Ok, so Vodacom passed me on to Apple. I phone them and found out two interesting things. It would be great if anyone here could confirm the same.

I have to mention that I am on the latest 14.5 Beta.

In Settings, clicked on my name and then "Name, Phone Numbers, Email". My number wasn't listed there so I added it. At this point, it made no difference.

We then tried to send just a plain old SMS to another number. Make sure the number and send button is green and not blue and I could not send any SMS to any number. So basically, I cannot send any text messages.

So I'm not sure if it is related to the Beta version or, maybe a Vodacom issue.

Would be great if anyone could confirm on Beta and normal production version of iOS.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Ok, so Vodacom passed me on to Apple. I phone them and found out two interesting things. It would be great if anyone here could confirm the same.

In Settings, clicked on my name and then "Name, Phone Numbers, Email". My number wasn't listed there so I added it. At this point, it made no difference.

We then tried to send just a plain old SMS to another number. Make sure the number and send button is green and not blue and I could not send any SMS to any number. So basically, I cannot send any text messages.

Would be great if anyone could confirm on Beta and normal production version of iOS.

I am also on beta, not gotten today’s one yet, but I’ve been able to send messages all along so far.

Although that poses the question, is anyone else here on the beta, could the beta at least partially be the culprit:

Chinmaya

#Vodacom Support sucks. They wont even give you a case number. Last time I was on call for almost an hour with issue related to international SMS I sent that never reached its destination. They just don't wanna accept that it is a problem. I was charged multiple times for sending international SMS that never reached its destination.

rvanwyk

Expert Member
I am also on beta, not gotten today’s one yet, but I’ve been able to send messages all along so far.

Although that poses the question, is anyone else here on the beta, could the beta at least partially be the culprit:

I am on today's beta but couldn't get iMessage to work on the previous either.

For what it's worth, I have tried with WiFi Calling enabled and disabled, forced to 3G and VoLTE disabled and I am still unable to send just a normal SMS.

I will probably go back to the laest production version tonight and test.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
I am on today's beta but couldn't get iMessage to work on the previous either.

For what it's worth, I have tried with WiFi Calling enabled and disabled, forced to 3G and VoLTE disabled and I am still unable to send just a normal SMS.

I will probably go back to the laest production version tonight and test.

Dof me, I have not gotten the update as I thought pulling my profile would downgrade me, which is didn’t. Let me upgrade and try an sms

Wildalc

I am not on the beta but on the latest normal version. I tried this and I can send normal txt messages no problem. But cannot activate iMessage. That fails.
My number is listed in the “name, phone numbers...etc”

rvanwyk

Expert Member
Ok, so chatted to vodacom, dialed #330*1111# and I can now send SMS's again.

Unfortunately, this has still not sorted out the iMessage issue.

DieBaard

@rvanwyk Just to confirm, I am not on any beta at this stage.

Just tested sending and receiving SMS's with an Android user, works with no issues.

That rules out software issues then.

rvanwyk

Expert Member
@rvanwyk Just to confirm, I am not on any beta at this stage.

Just tested sending and receiving SMS's with an Android user, works with no issues.

That rules out software issues then.
Thanks.

I still think it's an Apple issue. If I send a message to the incorrect number I get a "Not Delivered" message. But the error from the activation message looks like a reply from the Apple server.

Anyway, just my 2c.

piet70

Here is a link to all the carrier bundles hosted by Apple:

Vodafone_za
13.4, BuildVersion 41.2

14.3, BuildVersion 45.1

I cannot see any difference in carrier.plist (between these two versions) so I don't think that's the problem.

However, since you've tried pretty much everything it may be worthwhile to use Carrier Test Mode and load the carrier bundle version 41.2 and then follow the standard iMessage troubleshooting steps and see if it works.

Have just had a call from Vodacom, from someone who actually seems to know what is going on, after I contacted their Head of Internal Audit. Apparently they are very aware of the problem and are actively working on it with Apple in the UK. Everything's comment is correct: there is a routing issue and an Apple server response issue. They have committed to daily feedback to me, which I will share here, as I get it.

I have also STRONGLY suggested that they need to update all of their support teams IMMEDIATELY and also communicate to this and other threads a) that there is a problem, and b) what they are doing to fix it.

Wildalc

Have just had a call from Vodacom, from someone who actually seems to know what is going on, after I contacted their Head of Internal Audit. Apparently they are very aware of the problem and are actively working on it with Apple in the UK. Everything's comment is correct: there is a routing issue and an Apple server response issue. They have committed to daily feedback to me, which I will share here, as I get it.

I have also STRONGLY suggested that they need to update all of their support teams IMMEDIATELY and also communicate to this and other threads a) that there is a problem, and b) what they are doing to fix it.
Awesome! Finally. Thanks! Please keep us updated

ludi85

At last!!! Thank you for the update!

Satho84

Vodacom just sent me the following message:
“Dear Customer. Our engineers have traced and investigated your problem .Our system indicates that the iMessaging and facetime activations are failing due to a configuration/parameter issue on the Apple server directly and not on Vodacom’s side.Your number profile was also checked to be correct on our servers. Kindly log a ticket with Applecare 3rd line support (0800444426 ) for them to investigate further as this now falls outside of Vodacom’s Scope. We apologies for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience.”...

Wildalc

Vodacom just sent me the following message:
“Dear Customer. Our engineers have traced and investigated your problem .Our system indicates that the iMessaging and facetime activations are failing due to a configuration/parameter issue on the Apple server directly and not on Vodacom’s side.Your number profile was also checked to be correct on our servers. Kindly log a ticket with Applecare 3rd line support (0800444426 ) for them to investigate further as this now falls outside of Vodacom’s Scope. We apologies for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience.”...
Round and around we go