Importing Chinese phone during lockdown

ALFRED FENG

Bought ONE PLUS 8 from Aliexpress on Jun, R9500 for phone, R600 for cover, R450 delivery, R470 tax, and 105 handling fee.
Works well.

Lord Slayer

It looks more like a Xiaomi issue than a China issue. Shipping from Spain is also not available on any Xiaomi's but other brands are. As a side note, Vodacom has the note 9 and 9 pro available now, my sister just got hers today

ands45

So approximately how much is customs? @ALFRED FENG paid R470 for like $500 but @juggernaut11 paid R1000 for $200. If it's 1k for this $150 phone that I'm hoping to buy, I'd be really annoyed lol. Can someone please tell around how much I would be spending on customs?
It depends, as some places declare different amounts. Also different couriers charge different clearance fees. I bought a phone 360 dollars and paid 750 and my wife bought a phone for 300 dollars and paid just under 1k. Hers was aramex and mine was DHL. Both were declared at lower value, can't remember how much. You can get an easy rough idea of the cost for delivery and customs from Amazon. If ordering somewhere else will prob be less but should give you an idea.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
So approximately how much is customs? @ALFRED FENG paid R470 for like $500 but @juggernaut11 paid R1000 for $200. If it's 1k for this $150 phone that I'm hoping to buy, I'd be really annoyed lol. Can someone please tell around how much I would be spending on customs?
It's not worth the hassle bringing in a lower spec phone, so just go local on something similar.

Or go for the Redmi 9 for a few bob extra but you'll have the piece of mind.

GreenCardigan

It's not worth the hassle bringing in a lower spec phone, so just go local on something similar.

Or go for the Redmi 9 for a few bob extra but you'll have the piece of mind.
I have money in my PayPal account, that's why I chose the other site. And since I'm not an FNB customer, it's been a pain to get it to link to my account, I get an unable to send OTP error at the last part of linking. But thanks so much for looking for a similar priced option and linking to that site, I didn't know about it

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I have money in my PayPal account, that's why I chose the other site. And since I'm not an FNB customer, it's been a pain to get it to link to my account, I get an unable to send OTP error at the last part of linking. But thanks so much for looking for a similar priced option and linking to that site, I didn't know about it
Use FNB account of someone you know (and trust)?

juggernaut11

The "declared" value on the phone was around 200 dollars, but the actual cost of the phone was around $700 at the time. You definitely won't pay 1k on a $150 purchase.