Interesting experiments MyBroadband can do

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Maybe do some gaming latency/packet loss tests using different fibre providers and LTE/RAIN services to test which services are best for international gaming regarding latency?

PrettigeGert

I have been eyeing that one out for quite some time, the 51mm version with built in solar panel :thumbsup:
Currently have a Fenix 5 Sapphire (bought in 2017) and thinking of upgrading to a 6.

One thing on my 5, on a multi day hike I have to take a power bank to charge in the evening if I used the GPS to track the entire day's hike.
Good thing is that a small power bank was good for a few days at least.

Also looking at the solar now for that reason.

So - buy one and let me know what you think, by the weekend would be awesome, thank you.

ADrunkTeddyBear

Another battery test. But instead use rechargeables. Lets see how many cycles its takes for them to get to 80% SOH and 50% SOH. What are their actual SOC's when they are 100% charged etc.

Use brands like Duracell, Energiser, Eneloop (Find out whether their prices are worth it or not), Uniross and some other local brands. A bonus would be the Amazon Basics brand as well (This is what I currently use at home :) )

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Currently have a Fenix 5 Sapphire (bought in 2017) and thinking of upgrading to a 6.

One thing on my 5, on a multi day hike I have to take a power bank to charge in the evening if I used the GPS to track the entire day's hike.

So - buy one and let me know what you think, by the weekend would be awesome, thank you.
Most of my hikes are daily hikes so I don't need multi-day hike option (maybe once or twice a year)
You upgrade and sell me your 5 :D

eg2505

Honorary Master
at long last @Jan and @rpm ask for suggestions after Millions of "sponsored articles"

here is one, saw it been done in the UK, but our market is probably a lot worse,

call up various "support" lines for Cellphones like Apple, Samsung, Huawei and give them a simple problem
(battery dead, not charged) and see how long it takes for them to solve it.

all to answer the question, whose warranty and after sales support is the best?

HunterNW

Honorary Master

I have the 3HR. So when you get the 6 - I'll be watching (!!) the PIF thread.

Tman*

Expert Member
Extensive SAPO test is way overdue.

Letters to and from different locations as the bare minimum. One can also test SAPO's ability to deal with small packages weighing less than 1kg.

Heck, we can also ask members to simply go out and see what SAPO brances are open or closed.

PrettigeGert

Most of my hikes are daily hikes so I don't need multi-day hike option (maybe once or twice a year)
You upgrade and sell me your 5 :D
If I knew what my 5 is worth now I might just do that, bearing in mind that it is 5 years old now.

Quicks

Expert Member
Maybe a follow-up article of cellphone providers and affect in has on battery drain. If I remember correctly Telkom was really bad at this and not sure if they ever fixed the issue. Maybe add some test between LTE & 5G battery drain.

Red Plumstead

Expert Member
I would love to see the results especially with Telkom, with Callmore that calls are free to their own numbers. I get billed every month for calls that I know that were Telkom numbers. Queried it with Telkom gets you nowhere. Even Vodacom and MTN also offered similar deals but do these numbers slip through the system.

Red Plumstead

Expert Member
Test out whether the coronavirus app actually works by doing some testing on a phone with the "infected" tracking number.

I would be willing to be it is highly inconsistent with range as that will vary with manufacturer.
I was one of the first that downloaded that app. Work required it due to my daily hospitals, clinics and various other concentrated places. It has never warned me that I have been in contact, So far I have never been tested either so that might be the reason. Was thinking to enable mine as "infected" and see if it triggers my wife, but decide against it as it might trigger someone in the hospital and then I have to quarantine.

wrinklyo

Find any Chinese made LED torch that has the correct lumens in it's spec sheet. I have a small one, fits in one hand, that has, stamped into the aluminium casing, 188,000 lumens. It should be brighter than the surface of the sun. It's not.
fat torch liar.jpg

Attachments

• fat torch liar.jpg
    fat torch liar.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 6

Johand

Expert Member
This experiment will require a number of volunteers... but it would be great to make a routing map!

Process: Volunteers does traceroutes to different servers around the world (and locally).

We then build a map of which ISP routes in what manner (for which city) and where they have proper CDN's and peering in place! E.g. it would be good to know that if you are in Cape Town on one ISP all traffic is routed via JHB where-as on another ISP peers locally in Cape Town. And to see which ISP's uses which subsea cable systems!

Maybe it can be build into the mobile speedtest app? Traceroute is not such a big deal over Wifi.