Internet Explorer is no longer king

cerebus

Honorary Master
Finally. And Edge is never going to gain that kind of traction. Microsoft stupidly killed off the only good thing about its browser - the name recognition.

Ecco

Executive Member
People are waking up and taking the time to install a proper browser

Jola

Honorary Master
Chrome has been quite poor of late, starting to switch to Edge.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Finally. And Edge is never going to gain that kind of traction. Microsoft stupidly killed off the only good thing about its browser - the name recognition.
:confused: the name recognition means sweet blow buggerall if people have crap associations with it.

The problem with Edge is MS launched a Beta product (even flogging it to enterprises with the Nov update of Win10) and it will only grow up in July when they release the Anniversary update but by that time Chrome will have Material Design and a app store with 1 million Android apps.

The browser is just one more thing Google revolutionized / is revolutionizing.

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
Long live the king, the king is possibly dead.

Long live the king, the king is possibly dead.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Pretty sure MS killed off the IE brand because of how tarnished it is. IE will never be loved. I'm not saying Edge is a great name either though. I quite liked the Spartan name it had before it was Edge.

Chrome has been quite poor of late, starting to switch to Edge.
I would avoid Edge until it is updated later this year to include extension support. Give Firefox a try. I left Firefox for Chrome years ago when it was slow and prone to crashes, and tried Firefox again early last year. I stayed with it ever since - it's by far my favourite browser atm.

diegoa

Expert Member
Edge would take some of the share of Internet Explorer.

Edge for me still seems in beta and horribly buggy. The spent more time implementing a stupid Web Note feature for it (not sure how many even use it) than actually developing the rest of the browser.....

Don't get me started on the new Ink feature for Windows 10 now they are now punting as major feature for next major update. :mad:

Microsoft priorities are screwed.

Both browsers still rank poorly with regards to HTML 5 support!

Last edited:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Edge would take some of the share of Internet Explorer.

Edge for me still seems in beta and horribly buggy. The spent more time implementing a stupid Web Note feature for it (not sure how many even use it) than actually developing the rest of the browser.....

Don't get me started on the new Ink feature for Windows 10 now they are now punting as major feature for next major update. :mad:

Microsoft priorities are screwed.

Both browsers still rank poorly with regards to HTML 5 support!
Yeah it was always weird to me. I use Evernote, which is the best in the game. Not only does Edge not support Evernote because it has no extensions, but it doesn't even support LastPass. So I don't have access to my passwords in that browser.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
In Edge and IE you can't highlight half a word, it snaps to the whole word, super annoying.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Double post deleted. Even the best browser has its failz...

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
IE is losing to Chrome only because Microsoft is killing IE on XP. You can't access Microsoft Web site from IE8 anymore.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
IE is losing to Chrome only because Microsoft is killing IE on XP. You can't access Microsoft Web site from IE8 anymore.
MS are actually pushing Edge ..... and it works brilliantly. I have almost migrated completely over the Edge, and do not miss the so-called benefits of "Chrome" at all ......

Chrome is only on my PC for emergencies. till waiting for such an emergency .......

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
MS are actually pushing Edge ..... and it works brilliantly. I have almost migrated completely over the Edge, and do not miss the so-called benefits of "Chrome" at all ......

Chrome is only on my PC for emergencies. till waiting for such an emergency .......
'So-called' benefits?

I rely extensively on my Firefox add-ons:
- LastPass has all my passwords.
- Evernote Clipper converts pages I want to save into a magazine format and saves them in my Evernote.
- Adblock Plus keeps ugly ads at bay, stops tracking and protects from malware.
- WhatsApp has a great browser add-on. You just press the button and your chat window pops out.
- Flashgot allows any http download to be sent to a download manager. Also monitors videos so that you can download them.
- Wiki 2 makes all Wikipedia articles look way, way better.
- etc. etc.

Your needs may be different to mine, but the vast number of add-ons/extensions out there make it possible for anyone to customise their browser to their liking.

entrepr

Expert Member
I don't like IE but no fan of Chrome either - kills the computer's resources as you open tabs