Internet Solutions explains slow ADSL

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Surely they could have seen the traffic start to clime over time and provision more bandwidth before they reached their capacity.

Or don't IS have a monitoring system in place that they can visually see the current bandwidth traveling through their IPC(s), as well as past history of traffic?

Come on IS, you are not Tier 1 if you can't get this right!

Timber_MG

The explanation doesn't account for the sudden drop in performance. Something doesn't quite add up, but it doesn't matter, IS just shafted a bunch of ISPs real hard.

IS will have known about their IPC utilization, sounds like a case of accountants running the show there?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
These things dont just happen, they get there over time, they would have seen it coming but tried to maximise profit until they had to do something about it.

twicode

Expert Member
IS will have known about their IPC utilization, sounds like a case of accountants running the show there?
The accountants are right. There is no SLA for ADSL so whether we get full, half or quarter speed it has no financial impact on IS.

K

kingrob

Actually surprised, as it's a Japanese company & I can't imagine the Japs being happy with slow internet.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Agree with the above. IS should have seen this coming and upgraded ages ago. One ISP I know upgrades whenever they get to 70% utilization.

Don't know how IS can get to 100% without noticing.

guest2013-1

First time I've seen IS fail so badly at planning. They're usually the ones that make sure they have enough capacity. Someone ****ed up

skusku

No wondering Ive had problems with my speeds. Like last night I emailed my ISP and this morning they reported its running fine. Well last night it wasn't. It does look better now though. Hope this upgrade is quick to get problems out of the way for the future.

saffakanera

Expert Member
First time I've seen IS fail so badly at planning. They're usually the ones that make sure they have enough capacity. Someone ****ed up

haha, yea, nothing will happen to them though. IS is the exactly like Telkom these days.

Timber_MG

The accountants are right. There is no SLA for ADSL so whether we get full, half or quarter speed it has no financial impact on IS.

It might not directly financially prejudice IS, but it surely encourages ISPs to consider alternatives and sets a precedent on which other users of higher tiered connectivity might evaluate IS's ability to identify and communicate material issues to its users.

The poor communication is inexcusable however. The communication Afrihost seems to have been receiving from them casts doubt on IS.

garp

Executive Member
The explanation doesn't account for the sudden drop in performance. Something doesn't quite add up, but it doesn't matter, IS just shafted a bunch of ISPs real hard.

And isn't Afrihost is supposed to be coming off IS and moving to MTN Business about now?

prodigyX

Still sounds dodgy to me. I'm with Afrihost (10mb uncapped) and I havent been affected. Not complaining, but how does a problem like full capacity only affect a percentage of users?

eitai2001

Expert Member
Still sounds dodgy to me. I'm with Afrihost (10mb uncapped) and I havent been affected. Not complaining, but how does a problem like full capacity only affect a percentage of users?

I'm on Afrihost, I've noticed the slow speeds, but only during the day. It wasn't this slow during the day earlier in the month.

theJonster

I am on Axxess and the net has been terrible. Playing international games is impossible. Browsing locally is slow. Really frustrating...

Bern

Expert Member
Actually surprised, as it's a Japanese company & I can't imagine the Japs being happy with slow internet.

How many Japanese citizens are using IS accounts in SA? I think NTT likes money.