Invalid Traffic fine - help!

mamabear

Hi All. I have just received a fine in the 'normal' post (not registered) for R200. The fine is for 'license disc not being on the left hand side' (it is, just at the top of the windscreen, not at the bottom) and 'not clearly visible' (it is - totally visible). On principle I have no desire to pay this, it's wrong on so many levels, but wish to avoid any hassle when renewing my drivers and car licenses in the future.

The license is up to date. It was apparently given while I was parked at a shopping centre. I would also like to avoid the hassle of going to court. I'm in the Durban area. I have been through many road checks in the past, and driving for over 20 years and nothing has ever been said about the disc being at the top as opposed to the bottom. Any advice?

MickZA

Executive Member
Assuming you have no other fines outstanding and the fine has only just been issued you can fire off a letter to the Public Prosecutor politely expressing your indignation and there's a good chance you'll get a "slap on the wrist" letter in response and the fine quashed.

The PE Public Prosecutor has decided in my favour in the past in respect of "letter of the law" type tickets issued by over-zealous traffic wardens when my vehicle was parked unattended but don't leave it until the court date act now :)

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
When they say "left hand side" is that drivers side or passenger side?

upup

Executive Member
a Traffic cop is paid to do his job, not to think.
He look at one spot only.

Leave it till you get a person given it to you to sign.

chrisc

Executive Member
Take a picture of the windscreen and go and see the Public Prosecutor. He will cancel it.

If it were me, I would throw the notification in the bin and wait for a summons. Then go and see the PP. There is a 99% chance you won't receive a summons.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
http://www.polity.org.za/polity/govdocs/regulations/1999/roadregs03.html

36. (1) The owner of a motor vehicle shall display a licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc, whichever the case may be, issued in respect of such motor vehicle--

if the motor vehicle is fitted with a transparent windscreen, by affixing it on the LOWER left hand corner in such a manner that the print on the face of the licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc, whichever the case may be, is clearly legible from the outside to a person standing in front or to the left front of such vehicle;

Rosaudio

First Officer
Display of licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc

Reg 36. (1) The owner of a motor vehicle shall display a licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc, whichever the case may be, issued in respect of such motor vehicle—
(a) if the motor vehicle is fitted with a transparent windscreen, by affixing it on the lower left hand corner in such a manner that the print on the face of the licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc, whichever the case may be, is clearly legible from the outside to a person standing in front or to the left front of such vehicle;

You're going to have to pay, R200 isn't much anyway.

chrisc

Executive Member
This is a nitpicking excuse to issue a ticket. Just stand in the street and look at all the unroadworthy cars and lorries driving past, as well as inconsiderate drivers, not stopping at stop streets, going through red lights, etc

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
This is a nitpicking excuse to issue a ticket. Just stand in the street and look at all the unroadworthy cars and lorries driving past, as well as inconsiderate drivers, not stopping at stop streets, going through red lights, etc

The law is pretty clear TBH...

chrisc

Executive Member
Just throw the damn thing away and write posts about real problems - what to have for supper...