iOS 14 and WatchOS 7 released.

Dave

Honorary Master
Apple released iOS 14 and watchOS 7 were released by Apple tonight.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
iPhone and iPad Pro updated, now just letting the Watch update.

Nice to finally have Widgets on the Home Screen. I was getting a little annoyed with App Library but I see it’s very contextualised, I really like it now.
57957b83c09cdf99e94beb9e796f0ca0.png

Is it just me or the phone is noticeably more snappy? Like there is definitely a bump Transition speed and performance.

ebendl

Expert Member
Is it just me or the phone is noticeably more snappy? Like there is definitely a bump Transition speed and performance.

What phone are you running?

Early YouTube videos say older phones (1st gen SE, 6S, 7) should hold off from upgrading for now due to some slower performance (games for example seems to load around 5 seconds longer on 14).

I'm on an 11 and the wife on a 2nd gen SE, but haven't updated yet. Will give it a couple more days.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
What phone are you running?

Early YouTube videos say older phones (1st gen SE, 6S, 7) should hold off from upgrading for now due to some slower performance (games for example seems to load around 5 seconds longer on 14).

I'm on an 11 and the wife on a 2nd gen SE, but haven't updated yet. Will give it a couple more days.

I’m on an 11 Pro Max.

Yeah I can imagine for the much older devices this update may be quite heavy.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I've just started looking at the updates now, but any way to get a percentage onto that battery widget?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
iPhone and iPad Pro updated, now just letting the Watch update.

Nice to finally have Widgets on the Home Screen. I was getting a little annoyed with App Library but I see it’s very contextualised, I really like it now.
Getting transition speeds right is an art, needs to be long enough to feel more premium, but fast enough that you don't wait.
Samsung used to have super slow animations, changing it in settings used to make the phone feel way more snappy.
Same thing for iOS actually, I remember adjusting it with jailbreaks, then they allowed one to set it via reduced motion.

greg0205

Honorary Master
I’mma just add, the spatial audio update for AirPods is quite something.

tehtorq

I find the UX a little confusing. There are too many ways to show apps now. I'm not really sure what the point of the left-most screen is. You can swipe down to search and can add widgets to other screens now, so it seems redundant. Also, the App Library screen might be more useful if it went straight to the list view.

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer
The second option does have percentages.

View attachment 914817

Cool, never knew there was a second or more options. I see now by clicking on the Battery widget there are more than one option. As I said, I'd just started looking and if everyone would stop phoning and emailing me at work for an hour I might get a better look at things :p

Dave

Honorary Master
Cool, never knew there was a second or more options. I see now by clicking on the Battery widget there are more than one option. As I said, I'd just started looking and if everyone would stop phoning and emailing me at work for an hour I might get a better look at things :p

/phones Spizz every 5 minutes for the next 2 hours

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Getting transition speeds right is an art, needs to be long enough to feel more premium, but fast enough that you don't wait.
Samsung used to have super slow animations, changing it in settings used to make the phone feel way more snappy.
Same thing for iOS actually, I remember adjusting it with jailbreaks, then they allowed one to set it via reduced motion.

This is very true! I think they just got the balance in this update.
Yes I remember in all my Androids going straight to enable Developer Mode and bringing down all transitions to .5x lol

Dave

Honorary Master
Good to see you can change default apps now, Outlook Express has been updated to have the option to use as default.

C9A8A8D1-9D01-4A7B-951E-0E4D428CFD7B.jpeg

sand_man

Honorary Master
This is very true! I think they just got the balance in this update.
Yes I remember in all my Androids going straight to enable Developer Mode and bringing down all transitions to .5x lol
I still use Speed intensifier on my jailbroken iPad Pro... Makes a world of difference!

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
Updated my iPad Pro 11-inch last night, noticed the home screen became blurred and only the Dock was visible. Had to read Apple's documentation on how to "Restart your iPad". Fun times ahead.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Updated my iPad Pro 11-inch last night, noticed the home screen became blurred and only the Dock was visible. Had to read Apple's documentation on how to "Restart your iPad". Fun times ahead.
Woah, that is odd, my iPad Pro 11” updated just fine, busy typing this on it right now with ios 14. Did restarting help sort out the issue on yours?