iPad2 Gets Official SA Release Date - 29 April 2011!

fxit_man

Executive Member

The iPad2 has finally gotten a South African release date - And it's much sooner than most of us would expect... This Friday, the 29th April 2011 , the iPad2 will be released in a number of countries including South Africa!

South Africa will join countries Hong Kong, India, Israel, Korea, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Turkey and UAE for an April 29 2011 release date, and Japan with an April 28 release date.

Official Apple Press Release:

“CUPERTINO, California—April 27, 2011—Apple® today announced that iPad® 2, the second-generation of its breakthrough post-PC device, will arrive in Japan on Thursday, April 28 and Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and eight additional countries on Friday, April 29. iPad 2 will be available at Apple retail stores at 9 a.m. local time, select Apple Authorized Resellers, and online through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com) beginning at 1 a.m. Additionally, iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in China beginning Friday, May 6.

iPad 2 features an entirely new design that is 33 percent thinner and up to 15 percent lighter than the original iPad, while maintaining the same stunning 9.7-inch LED-backlit LCD screen. iPad 2 features Apple’s new dual-core A5 processor for blazing fast performance and stunning graphics and now includes two cameras, a front-facing VGA camera for FaceTime® and Photo Booth®, and a rear-facing camera that captures 720p HD video, bringing the innovative FaceTime feature to iPad users for the first time. Though it is thinner, lighter, faster and packed with new features, iPad 2 still delivers up to 10 hours of battery life* that users have come to expect.

Pricing & Availability
iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in Japan on April 28 and Hong Kong, India, Israel, Korea, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Turkey and UAE on April 29 for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model and $699 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in China on May 6, and further international availability will be announced at a later date.

iMovie® and GarageBand® for iPad apps are available for $4.99 (US) each from the App Store℠ on iPad or www.itunes.com/appstore. The Smart Cover is available in a range of colors in vibrant polyurethane for $39 (US) or rich leather for $69 (US).

*Battery life depends on device settings, usage and other factors. Actual results vary.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced iPad 2 which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.”

http://iphoneza.co.za/2011/04/27/ipad2-gets-official-south-africa-release-date-friday-29th-april/

Last edited:

Madhawk

Honorary Master
3 Threads of the iPad being released on Friday.

Good to see that SA wasn't left behind this year...good stuff!

fxit_man

Executive Member
3 Threads of the iPad being released on Friday.

Good to see that SA wasn't left behind this year...good stuff!
Well not really :D

One was pricing with no release date.
The other was an old thread which I posted in bumping it up.
And this is the only thread mentioning a release date!

But yeah, very good to see that we are not getting left behind!

Will there be midnight launches anywhere?

According to the press release,

iPad 2 will be available at Apple retail stores at 9 a.m. local time, select Apple Authorized Resellers, and online through the Apple Store® (http://www.apple.com) beginning at 1 a.m.

Now I don't know about the 9am time considering local iStores aren't official Apple Retail stores..

I will keep you guys informed of anything I hear.

Madhawk

Honorary Master
This thread was created first...with release date...So lets make this the "official" iPad 2 release date thread.

So who's buying one and which model?

fxit_man

Executive Member
This thread was created first...with release date...So lets make this the "official" iPad 2 release date thread.

So who's buying one and which model?

:D Good idea.

Thankfully I already have the 64GB 3G+Wifi iPad 2. Black with a black leather smart cover, and HDMI adapter. :) Picked it up from the UK (stock was VERY tight there)

Also interested in who else is getting one/planning on getting one

iWish

32GB wi-fi + 3G, black model for me. Wanted to buy one in June when on holiday in the USA but why wait considering the competitive prices from Core. Will do some accessory shopping in June though.

Anony-mousse

Expert Member
32GB wi-fi + 3G, black model for me. Wanted to buy one in June when on holiday in the USA but why wait considering the competitive prices from Core. Will do some accessory shopping in June though.

Considering I will be moving to Europe in July and can have 15GB mobile internet for 30 euros I will still go for the 3G one as well. It makes things easier I suppose. I can only go next week though, not Friday ;-(

TYR

Actually still happy with my iPad 1 64gb+3g, but I built a headrest mount for it so that baby could watch movies while we drove down to Ballito, ... Now she won't get in the car again unless the iPad is there, so I guess I'm gonna have to give it to my wife ... Ah well, good enough reason to get myself a new ver 2 ... Will Go for 64gb+3g again.

Is the new smart cover worth getting? Poly or leather?

fxit_man

Executive Member
Actually still happy with my iPad 1 64gb+3g, but I built a headrest mount for it so that baby could watch movies while we drove down to Ballito, ... Now she won't get in the car again unless the iPad is there, so I guess I'm gonna have to give it to my wife ... Ah well, good enough reason to get myself a new ver 2 ... Will Go for 64gb+3g again.

Is the new smart cover worth getting? Poly or leather?

Haha brilliant justification!

The smart cover is cool...I would say a must...One but though - it leaves the back unprotected. I have the black leather one and it looks nice :)

I would say a Smart Cover + Some sort of back protector (like invisible shield) would be great! http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-ipad-2-3g-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

There's some pics of mine here - http://iphoneza.co.za/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2758#p2758. I haven't got a protector yet

Last edited:

Grimspoon

Executive Member
16GB Wifi for me!!!

Going to get mine tomorrow assuming they will have stock and there are no stampedes! :D

Stev

i'll be at incredible connection cresta tomorrow to get mine (hopefully depending on the stock). 32 gig wifi will work fine for me. will use personal hotspot on my iphone.