iPad2 Gets Official SA Release Date - 29 April 2011!

Pixual

Expert Member
does any one else think that the smart cover prices are a big rip off? i mean, R500 for a piece of polyurethane and a magnet attached to it seems mighty steep to me.

Anyway, I just bought the Belkin leather iPad folio case from IC for only R300. Much better protection in my opinion, although i think they are talking crap about it being leather. Smells like plastic to me...

Grimspoon

Executive Member
does any one else think that the smart cover prices are a big rip off? i mean, R500 for a piece of polyurethane and a magnet attached to it seems mighty steep to me.

Anyway, I just bought the Belkin leather iPad folio case from IC for only R300. Much better protection in my opinion, although i think they are talking crap about it being leather. Smells like plastic to me...

Yeah I am with you on that. Absolute rip off.

Maelstrom

Managed to get my first iPad 2 swapped out yesterday for a 32GB Wifi Black and so far so good, haven't been able to see any dead pixels yet. Will have a more detailed look once I've set it all up again.

Pixual

Expert Member
As this is my first iPad I can't tell what improvements there are over the last one. Anybody able to say whether this one really is better than the last (cameras aside)?

thewusman

Expert Member
Observations of V2 over V1:

**** it is fast. No two ways about it, dual core processor struts it's stuff. Everything from the response of the onboard keyboard, app switching to loading of webpages. It's noticeably quicker than gen 1.

Screen has slightly better contrast ratios, and appears to have font smoothing. Weird. But for me it's clearer than gen 1.

Smart cover rocks. Easy to flip over, auto screen off and on when removing the cover is great.

Cell C 900mhz UMTS FTW ! Paid R999 for 12 months x 2 gigs, cut it down to micro sim size, popped it into the ipad and presto. Speedtest is faster than my 4meg DSL. Sunninghill has full Cell C signal which is simply amazing - Voda and MTN could learn a thing or 2.

Not revolutionary, but a solid build on an already great product.

Did I say it's fast ?

Elimentals

Honorary Master
The both running almost at the same speed

The browser on 2 is a small bit faster but on every day use you wont know the difference. Some games load a small bit faster but they both play at the same speed. By small we talking milliseconds.

If you do not put the 2 right next to each other, speed-wise you will not know the difference at all.

That aside the iPad 2 will start to pull away when games come out later this year that really push the systems performance, none of those titles exist yet.

Update: YouTube example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jItMFWWDxBQ

Last edited:

Grimspoon

Executive Member
Never had the 1, but ya the 2 is really nice and fast. No complaints in the speed department :)

Pixual

Expert Member
Websurfing. I have also discovered the Pulse app which is really cool. I hardly have to get out of bed anymore. Imagine I had as much money as Howard Hughes?