iPhone not working on Vodacom netowork.

Nivea

Howzit guys,

I bought an iPhone ( it’s originally from America ) from a guy I know and for some reason it won't work on Vodacoms network , in the settings it states the phone is not locked to any network but also says the phone is not allowed on Vodacoms network. The guy said it works on Cell C network and MTN. Is there a way I can get it working on the Vodacom network?

The network came on and worked for a little bit , got 3 bars on 4G , then it stopped again.

He said I can get my money back tomorrow if I don't come right but I really like the phone. I'd appreciate any help on this, thanks.

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I know phones in America are often network locked, but seeing that it works on Cell C and MTN I am a bit stumped as to why it would not work on Vodacom. Perhaps update your carrier settings?

chrisc

Executive Member
Under Settings, Mobile Data on the bottom screen is Network Selection

Mine is set to Automatic and you can turn this on and off

Kav33r

I know phones in America are often network locked, but seeing that it works on Cell C and MTN I am a bit stumped as to why it would not work on Vodacom. Perhaps update your carrier settings?
My cousin recently bought one and turns out it was locked to AT&T USA.
Have not found a way to unlock/bypass this since. Phone is lying in my drawer and I use it with my drone now and then.

I hope you come right OP.

mak2000

Expert Member
Howzit guys,

I bought an iPhone ( it’s originally from America ) from a guy I know and for some reason it won't work on Vodacoms network , in the settings it states the phone is not locked to any network but also says the phone is not allowed on Vodacoms network. The guy said it works on Cell C network and MTN. Is there a way I can get it working on the Vodacom network?

The network came on and worked for a little bit , got 3 bars on 4G , then it stopped again.

He said I can get my money back tomorrow if I don't come right but I really like the phone. I'd appreciate any help on this, thanks.
Have you tried it on Cellc/MTN yourself? Perhaps try it yourself to confirm- maybe it is network locked.

Nivea

The signal is definitely on and off but it’s quite annoying i’ve decided to return the phone to him and look again :(

Thanks for the help tho guys

Luke7777

Executive Member
Son got his iPhone 11 over there via AT&T, about a year ago. (think they have a 3 month period before it becomes "open") He moved his US number to eSim before coming back and is currently using a VC datasim as physical sim here. No issues..

Just on the AT&T lock thing... we purchased an AT&T mifi when we went over there 3 years ago, with a data bundle. It's quite a decent mifi , so he brought it back with him. I unlocked it on the AT&T portal and it's now working fine here

Last edited:

Van87

If it really worked for a little while, it should work...

But otherwise, I'd say it's probably a CDMA version, and not a GSM version...

Therefore again, depending which carrier version it is overseas, will depend if it can in fact work, or not...

All our networks are GSM locally, while in America there are 2 types of networks...GSM and CDMA.

Correct me if I'm wrong here @Ockie

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
If it really worked for a little while, it should work...

But otherwise, I'd say it's probably a CDMA version, and not a GSM version...

Therefore again, depending which carrier version it is overseas, will depend if it can in fact work, or not...

All our networks are GSM locally, while in America there are 2 types of networks...GSM and CDMA.

Correct me if I'm wrong here @Ockie
That is correct.

Zimstyles

If it worked for a while then stopped, is not possible that the phone was listed as lost/stolen and subsequently blacklisted from the network?
Which iPhone is it?