IS News Server down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahhh how i love cached files on the server :) 25mins for a movie, dats wat im talking about ;)
 
What happens when an article expires and I'm busy downloading that article?
 
What happens when an article expires and I'm busy downloading that article?
If your provider allows for you you can post a request for the missing article.
 
Funny thing I found now The news servers are swopping IP's like crazy. Currently I've see three news servers on the same IP:

ping news.is.co.za

Pinging newz.isnet.net [196.26.208.126] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=599ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=699ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=458ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=211ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 196.26.208.126:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 211ms, Maximum = 699ms, Average = 491ms

ping news.gam.co.za

Pinging newz.isnet.net [196.26.208.126] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=127ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=227ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=340ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 196.26.208.126:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 97ms, Maximum = 340ms, Average = 197ms

ping news.isdsl.net

Pinging news.isdsl.net [196.26.208.126] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=701ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=692ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=581ms TTL=56
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 196.26.208.126:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 581ms, Maximum = 701ms, Average = 658ms

What is going on here IS?
 
Yes it seems they have decided to play a little game of let's change the IP's.

My results:
>ping news.is.co.za

Pinging newz.isnet.net [196.35.123.198] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 196.35.123.198: bytes=32 time=84ms TTL=55
Reply from 196.35.123.198: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=55
Reply from 196.35.123.198: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=55
Reply from 196.35.123.198: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 196.35.123.198:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 72ms, Maximum = 97ms, Average = 86ms

>ping news.isdsl.net

Pinging news.isdsl.net [196.26.208.126] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=286ms TTL=57
Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=483ms TTL=57
Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=565ms TTL=57
Reply from 196.26.208.126: bytes=32 time=321ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 196.26.208.126:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 286ms, Maximum = 565ms, Average = 413ms

>ping newz.isnet.net

Pinging newz.isnet.net [196.35.123.198] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 196.35.123.198: bytes=32 time=451ms TTL=55
Reply from 196.35.123.198: bytes=32 time=505ms TTL=55
Reply from 196.35.123.198: bytes=32 time=842ms TTL=55
Reply from 196.35.123.198: bytes=32 time=417ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 196.35.123.198:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 417ms, Maximum = 842ms, Average = 553ms

Although it seems that news.is.co.za is just pointing to newz.isnet.net I've found in the last couple of hour that news.is.co.za switches from the news.isdsl.net IP to newz.isnet.net IP. It's very strange but as soon as I only used news.isdsl.net and newz.isnet.net it all seemed to work alot better!

Perhaps they switch servers with news.is.co.za based upon the load or if one of the other servers are down...
 
Last edited:
Perhaps they switch servers with news.is.co.za based upon the load or if one of the other servers are down...

That does make sense. Maybe when one of the news servers falls over then they use the other server's IP as a pointer.
 
Funny thing. Everything seems to be back to normal now. How is that for working overtime over at IS!
 
Yes mine also seems working again but I also changed my two news servers to newz.isnet.net and news.isdsl.net

I'll monitor the IP's the next few days and see if the IP of those two addresses stay the same and also if news.is.co.za changes IP.
 
Last edited:
I'm doing pretty much the same. Pinging every now and then. Still seems stable.
 
Nope they switched it again:

>ping newz.isnet.net

Pinging newz.isnet.net [196.26.208.126] with 32 bytes of data:

>ping news.isdsl.net

Pinging news.isdsl.net [196.26.208.126] with 32 bytes of data:

>ping news.is.co.za

Pinging newz.isnet.net [196.26.208.126] with 32 bytes of data:

I've just decided to use IP addresses instead of using the name address (ie. news.is.co.za) because it seems I can only connect 4 concurrent connections to a single news server and if they're all pointing to the same server (IP Wise) then I'm out of luck...
 
Last edited:
I've just decided to use IP addresses instead of using the name address (ie. news.is.co.za) because it seems I can only connect 4 concurrent connections to a single news server and if they're all pointing to the same server (IP Wise) then I'm out of luck...

I did the same thing this morning when I did a DNS lookup and found news.is.co.za pointing to two IPs.
I'm still only getting 3KB/sec on 8 connections :mad:
 
Using the IP's has boosted my speed to almost my line Max, seems to be a lot better!
 
explain to me how to get an ip address and use it in grabit


newz.isnet.net

is this a new news server?

news.isdsl.net

news.is.co.za

there are 3 now?
 
Last edited:
Enter 196.35.123.198 and 196.26.208.126 as your two servers instead of the names. For some reason it isn't making much difference for me though, the speeds are still crap.
 
explain to me how to get an ip address and use it in grabit

Do a DNS lookup.


newz.isnet.net
is this a new news server?

No, it's the same as news.is.co.za it's just a different host name.
news.is.co.za = newz.isnet.net

news.is.co.za. 365 IN CNAME newz.isnet.net.
newz.isnet.net. 595 IN A 196.35.123.198
newz.isnet.net. 595 IN A 196.26.208.126
news.isdsl.net. 49 IN A 196.26.208.126

As you can see there are only two news server IPs.
Plug those two IPs in instead of the host names.
IS can then swap the DNS entries around as much as they like and it won't affect you (unless they change the IPs).
 
I doubt they would change the IP addresses of the servers and I also think they swap the IP's around to try and load balance the news-servers to avoid the situation a few months back were the news-servers were completely unusable.
My speeds are back down to avg. 20kb's (on 384 line) but at least I'm running 8 parallel threads now which seems to keep it more stable in terms of average download speed.
 
I doubt they would change the IP addresses of the servers and I also think they swap the IP's around to try and load balance the news-servers to avoid the situation a few months back were the news-servers were completely unusable.
My speeds are back down to avg. 20kb's (on 384 line) but at least I'm running 8 parallel threads now which seems to keep it more stable in terms of average download speed.

Same here but weird stuff is still going on with regards to non-cached files.
My news client tries to download a file and the news server returns nothing so it keeps skipping over the files and gets a little bit here and a little bit there.
It wasn't like this before but I can live with the 15 to 20 KB/sec and will just keep fiddling with the queues.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X