Is renaming geographical areas important?

Is renaming geographical areas important?

• Yes

Votes: 38 7.9%
  • No

Votes: 416 86.7%
  • Other

Votes: 26 5.4%

• Total voters

terencej

Expert Member
Yes, these towns are not worth the old names anymore. Rather give them new names with the state most towns are in these days. Should rather give it a shithole numbering system to indicate how far down the drain ANC have been pushing it.

terencej

Expert Member
We have no money to create jobs but we have money to rename towns.....that logic though

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Reading how the government spends their budget renaming cities while the radio announced that the education budget has been axed for the next three years really makes one think...

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
As many have stated, the money could be better used in a thousand different ways.

FNfal

Executive Member
All the BS of renaming every thing causes people to get lost in their own cities .
Besides the money involved , a place you have known for say thirty years gets renamed causes confusion and chaos .
Total utter BS .
I can understand sensitive issue renaming but not just for the sake of renaming .

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Name changes have always been a thing throughout history, all over the world.

probably the most famous one being

Lygos >> Byzantium >> Augusta Antonia >> Alma Roma >> Constantinople >> Istanbul

It's just a historic reality

6spdmanual

Expert Member
I know it’s upsetting for many, but I honestly and genuinely don’t care. People will be all up in arms for a day or two, but we will end up calling it PE as always. Other than Ekhuruleni, Polokwane, and a few provinces, which big geographical name changes have stuck with us? I refer to Bloemfontein as Bloemfontein and not Mangaung, Pretoria as Pretoria and not Tshwane, Durban as Durban and not Ethekwini. I know some of these examples are municipalities and not cities, but still. I just see it as “Oh, okay. Anyway...”.

saor

Honorary Master
I know it’s upsetting for many
I think mostly because there's so much else that needs real attention to fix things, that this renaming just feels like the government further spitting on the country whilst pretending it's muti. You'll find that most people when they get home don't really care what their town or airport is called, and in fact probably even support a change to local languages. But that support can only come after the real work has been done, not before.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
I think mostly because there's so much else that needs real attention to fix things, that this renaming just feels like the government further spitting on the country whilst pretending it's muti. You'll find that most people when they get home don't really care what their town or airport is called, and in fact probably even support a change to local languages. But that support can only come after the real work has been done, not before.
That’s a good observation. I looked at this renaming thing in isolation, rather than in the way you pointed it out. I get it then. But I still do feel as though some of the reaction is a tad over the top. I’ll still be calling it PE though.

Cereal_Killer

Forging

^^^^

Wasting Money we don't have on crap we don't need, So we can loot and criminal more - ANC