ISP Advice

Pufferfish94

I am currently with Nexus ISP on a 2mbps line. There are currently 4 of us using it, mostly for gaming and youtube. I am very happy with Nexus in general but during peak times it becomes unusable for even general browsing.

I will probably have to move up to either a 4 mbps package or a capped one.

I am looking for opinions on which are the best deals in terms of price and throttling/shaping.

MWEBHelp

MWEB Representative
Company Rep
I am currently with Nexus ISP on a 2mbps line. There are currently 4 of us using it, mostly for gaming and youtube. I am very happy with Nexus in general but during peak times it becomes unusable for even general browsing.

I am looking for opinions on which are the best deals in terms of price and throttling/shaping.

Afternoon MitchellHale, why not test with on of our uncapped 4Mbps trial accounts.

Free for 7 days.

Let me know if you are interested.

OCP

Expert Member
I strongly suggest you look at CrystalWeb.

Stay far away from AfriHost (broken network, useless support) and OpenWeb (crooks!)

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

4 people on 2meg?

Definitely up your line.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master

Look at Afrihost, great support, and network is running well for me and many others.

IOPS

I'll add a +1 for Afrihost here.
At least their clients details aren't leaked every few months.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm with Crystal Web and I can't really give them a glowing endorsement atm. Maybe wait a few months and see where they're at then. They don't have a client portal, the website is in desperate need of renovation and the network is having issues for some people. Until this month, no other ISP could touch their network's performance and reliability though, and hopefully things will go back to that.

ISPs I don't recommend:

Afrihost - inconsistent network performance, mostly after 6pm. Sometimes it's really not good.
Mweb - terrible cancellation policy. It's almost criminal.
Web Africa - network quality has gone down the drain and customer support sucks. And same cancellation policy as Mweb.
Openweb - actual crooks. Don't touch them.

ISPs worth considering:

Crystal Web - generally has phenomenal network performance and quality. Best customer support of any ISP.
Axxess - won best ISP in the last ISP awards
Vox - loved by many, but some users are reporting poor network performance. Customer support doesn't seem good.
RSAWeb - recent price cuts. Not great for capped, but uncapped value is good.

Bighit

Expert Member
If you're looking at price alone, then from Bryn's list above, consider Axxess. R499 for 4mb premium uncapped, with line rental (Add 180 analogue rental) which means your total cost comes to R680. The same adsl account standalone is R325.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
I'm with Crystal Web and I can't really give them a glowing endorsement atm. Maybe wait a few months and see where they're at then. They don't have a client portal, the website is in desperate need of renovation and the network is having issues for some people. Until this month, no other ISP could touch their network's performance and reliability though, and hopefully things will go back to that.

ISPs I don't recommend:

Afrihost - inconsistent network performance, mostly after 6pm. Sometimes it's really not good.
Mweb - terrible cancellation policy. It's almost criminal.
Web Africa - network quality has gone down the drain and customer support sucks. And same cancellation policy as Mweb.
Openweb - actual crooks. Don't touch them.

ISPs worth considering:

Crystal Web - generally has phenomenal network performance and quality. Best customer support of any ISP.
Axxess - won best ISP in the last ISP awards
Vox - loved by many, but some users are reporting poor network performance. Customer support doesn't seem good.
RSAWeb - recent price cuts. Not great for capped, but uncapped value is good.
To be fair Bryn, all of the isp's have issues on a regular basis incl Crystal Web. Crystal Web probably has less issues than the others, but ive yet to see a issueless(is that a word) isp.

Pufferfish94

Thanks for all the help guys. I checked up our usage and we average around 70 gigs in a month, so I think a capped option would be the best bet.

Any suggestions on a good isp that isn't going to break the bank where I can get like 80 - 100 gigs a month on 4mbps?

IOPS

Thanks for all the help guys. I checked up our usage and we average around 70 gigs in a month, so I think a capped option would be the best bet.

Any suggestions on a good isp that isn't going to break the bank where I can get like 80 - 100 gigs a month on 4mbps?

There are some pretty good suggestions in this thread.

Bighit

Expert Member
You sound like you want the best price out of the 4 reliable ISP's; it will have to be Axxess then. See their site, make a combo account to get a discount. The rest is up to you.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Crystal Web is uncapped from midnight to 6pm every day, and as far as I can tell they've sorted out the issues they were having for regular capped accounts.

I would recommend you start with CW. If performance isn't what it should be, then try Axxess.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
To be fair Bryn, all of the isp's have issues on a regular basis incl Crystal Web. Crystal Web probably has less issues than the others, but ive yet to see a issueless(is that a word) isp.

Not on a daily basis. CW was 'issueless' for regular DSL users up to the beginning of this month. If the profile issues they then had have been dealt with (and that seems to be the case for me at least), CW is back to being awesome.

Afrihost gave me issues every day after 6. Their network is oversubscribed, and can never touch the performance of a network like CW that doesn't rely on shaping to allocate bandwidth.

Pufferfish94

Sorry to post on an old thread but I have a few more questions.

We are now moving to a complex on Uitsig Road near the Hyper, Durban north.

We are also looking to cancel our DSTV subscription and rather get faster internet and either Showmax / Netflix.

My questions are:
1) Would you guys recommend showmax or netflix?
2) We were thinking about getting our internet through Telkom to make use of their bolt on for showmax, is this a good plan?
3) What is the FUP cap on their 10mbps uncapped line through Telkom?
4) 123Net seem to have some good packages if we have coverage, haven't heard much about them though?
5) About how many gigs do you think we will go through in a month using either netflix or showmax? We are a family of 4 and watch quite a bit of tv.

I hope you guys will be able to answer some of these question, if you need any other information let me know.

Thanks!

MGRobinson

Sorry to post on an old thread but I have a few more questions.

We are now moving to a complex on Uitsig Road near the Hyper, Durban north.

We are also looking to cancel our DSTV subscription and rather get faster internet and either Showmax / Netflix.

My questions are:
1) Would you guys recommend showmax or netflix?
2) We were thinking about getting our internet through Telkom to make use of their bolt on for showmax, is this a good plan?
3) What is the FUP cap on their 10mbps uncapped line through Telkom?
4) 123Net seem to have some good packages if we have coverage, haven't heard much about them though?
5) About how many gigs do you think we will go through in a month using either netflix or showmax? We are a family of 4 and watch quite a bit of tv.

I hope you guys will be able to answer some of these question, if you need any other information let me know.

Thanks!

1. Showmax and Netflix are both good, I have both and they are quite convinient. Netflix supports more devices. I don't have DSTV, if you don't watch sport you should be fine.
2. I can't comment on Telkom as I haven't used them in years, I use Afrihost as my ISP for ADSL and have a capped account that works perfectly for streaming.
3. Can't comment on Telkom as per the above
4. I haven't heard too much about them either
5. Netflix use as per the following link: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87
Showmax as per the following link: https://www.showmax.com/eng/go/bandwidth-calculator

CamiKaze

Honorary Master

I signed up with Afrihost on Friday. Process was simple. Phoned them in the afternoon while at work and when I got home, all I had to do was use my Afrihost account on my router and I was connected.

I went with the 4Mb line 100Gb capped account as all my downloads are scheduled for during "free time".
It's enough data (plus another free 100Gb that you can use anytime) to stream from Kodi and play Dota.

I will test it for the rest of the month.