ISP Comparisons

skierenw

Banned
Some interesting info in the Link, even though some of the info is not entirely recent.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1re41hY7BJENtbsKXM9AavgaytYFGlIxpZfCMcB8jb1Y/edit#gid=0

I Have been with Mweb for a year (contract) , They have to be the Worst ISP I have ever come across regarding Shaping, Throttling and "Soft Caps" - I was paying for an "Uncapped" Product therefore I expect to get uncapped! Not a soft cap when I reach a certain amount! If I knew that I would of gotten a 5GB Capped account from Telkom with their Soft Caps, Its would be faster then Mweb anyway!

P.S - Never use Mweb as an ISP! Stay Clear. Use Afrihost, Openweb or Axxess

Dubes

Expert Member
Please point out anything that is outdated and I'll update it.

As for not using MWEB, that spreadsheet I created while researching whether to move away from MWEB, for no other reason than I thought I could get better elsewhere. After all that research I not only stayed with MWEB but upgraded from 1mbps to 2mbps uncapped.

Dubes

Expert Member
Oh, and I am yet to experience severe shaping or throttling. I do not use torrents at all though but download from elsewhere and stream movies often. I have not experienced throttling as I know what my soft cap is and keep an eye on it. I like knowing what to expect rather than the "network traffic dependant" shaping of other popular ISPs.

skierenw

Banned
I do agree with you, it is nice to know what the soft cap would be. However, I am currently with Afrihost and what I like is that they will only throttle non-real time protocols (Torrents, News Servers and HTTP Downloads) Everything else is Unshaped. I do download torrents, If and when I get shaped It doesn't really bother me everything appears normal besides Torrents. When I was with Mweb If I reached that "Soft Cap" They would throttle my entire line (browsing, speedtests, emails, torrents etc)

That is why I prefer Afrihost as I can download as much as I want and my real time protocols will remain unaffected. (and the shaping is relatively easy to bypass anyway) LOL