ISP's using hidden cacheing devices but DENY they exist.

threegee

I am now on my second Wireless ISP in a year. The first started giving major problems with various things becoming very slow and I proved they were cacheing on their network but when questioned they denied it. Several months of this back and forth complaining I eventually got one of their sales guys to admit they were cacheing content.

Numerous other problems saw me cancel my service with them and move onto Wireless ISP number 2.

Prior to signing on with them I questioned them about ghost cacheing in their network and they explicitly said no they don't do that. Well lo and behold look what showed up yesterday while opening a page on Github. Clear and evident proof they are both lying and possibly many other ISP's too. Why not charge people full price for data services and save yourself millions of Rands serving micro-cached content.

Anyone working on Github should look at this in horror, nothing to do with Github should ever pass near or through any type of cacheing system.

github-cached.jpg

El Presidente

Expert Member
It makes complete sense to cache content on ISP level. If you and 200 other people watch the same Youtube video, why should the ISP request the same video 200 times, when it can just request the video once and serve it locally to the other 199 people?

Bandwidth is very expensive in South Africa, I doubt you'll get an ISP that does not implement some form of caching.

Why they lied to you about it I don't know, but I can almost guarantee you all ISPs implement caching. It makes complete sense from a business perspective. Less bandwidth to buy.

Mr Scratch

Expert Member

Genuinely spooked that you think any ISP in the world doesn't make use of caching.

threegee

But why do they all deny it, for what possible reason?

Why do they cache things that are explicitly told NOT to be cached?

I have proof of this happening ie. Not following the explicit instructions from a web server of what can or cannot be cached? Moreover these caches do NOT speed certain things up at all they actually as you can see get overburdened because they are possibly poorly set up and managed.

Additionally their "smart" cacheing seriously affects loading of Google Adsense ads and hence page loading times. ie. anything that people say "don't cache" gets slowed down so horribly it might as well just be cached then.

Last edited:

threegee

How do you cache https?

You don't :D what troubles me is how things that are actually uncacheable are so doggone slow, 20 mb link and some things feel like I am on 1Mb adsl. It's like their caches see what cannot be cached and then it goes through some other obscure route, for want of explaining it better it's like half a web site is served from a cache and the other "non-cacheable" stuff served from an entirely different route. Eish I dunno, frustrating paying good money for services and ending up with nonsense time after time.

threegee

Isn't cacheing actually going against saying a connection is unlimited, unshaped, unthrottled? Is it not a form of shaping traffic?

Pienats

You don't :D what troubles me is how things that are actually uncacheable are so doggone slow, 20 mb link and some things feel like I am on 1Mb adsl. It's like their caches see what cannot be cached and then it goes through some other obscure route, for want of explaining it better it's like half a web site is served from a cache and the other "non-cacheable" stuff served from an entirely different route. Eish I dunno, frustrating paying good money for services and ending up with nonsense time after time.

You mean, like, the actual internet across the oceans and not the cached one in the data center? :p

threegee

You mean, like, the actual internet across the oceans and not the cached one in the data center? :p

:crylaugh: yip that internet. It appears their cacheing systems (or logic behind it) causes slowdowns of everything I do on a daily basis and what's worse is I never had any of these problems a year ago when I had a connection 1/4 of what I have now.

This nonsense all started in about Jan/Feb this year. Not saying cacheing only started this year January/Feb, bad poorly configured messed up cacheing and ****ty routing.

threegee

"waiting for syndication.twitter.com ................... :sick:" every single web page using that takes forever to load (sic) are the geniuses running our local internet actually trying to unsuccessfully cache stuff off twitter ?