Jailbroken PS3

KYLEROX

i have a jailbroken ps3 and i want to know if i can sell it or is it illegal to sell it or put an ad for it

thapedict

Its illegal to jailbreak it. Its also illegal to sell anything illegal. So there you have it ... :whistling:

thapedict

But lets ignore the law and just imagine all that I said is a myth. How much is it going for?

azbob

Honorary Master
Restore it back to official firmware and let the buyer jailbreak it if he'd like.

roligov

Offer it as a PS3 for sale and state "it's jailbreakable". Then discuss with buyer if he want's it as is or would prefer you to restore it.

azbob

Honorary Master
i got a few invite me on whatsapp we can talk xxxxxxxxxx

I already have one. Was just wondering. It's probably not wise to publicly advertise it with "games"

Last edited by a moderator:

azbob

Honorary Master

I don't know what the laws in SA are regarding this but in some places that could be considered illegal. Unless the person owns the original disc perhaps.

Wait, by "games" I means games on the PS3 HDD.

Batista

Executive Member
You are overly concerned about it, just advertise and sell.If you have a firmware version that is highly sought after you can sell the ps3 for alot more than even a brand new ps3.

KYLEROX

You are overly concerned about it, just advertise and sell.If you have a firmware version that is highly sought after you can sell the ps3 for alot more than even a brand new ps3.
about how much?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Technically it's illegal to sell it, more so with games loaded illegally.

In reality nobody is going to do anything about it.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Which law would this be?

Copyright contravention law.

You are modifying/reverse-engineering copyrighted material (as in the firmware) owned by Sony and also breaching their terms and conditions of sale.

But I guess it also depends on who is doing it and if it's already been done where it qualifies or not.

In SA there is no piracy law as such, but there is a counterfeiting law which is normally what they nail the guys for making copies with.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Copyright contravention law.

You are modifying/reverse-engineering copyrighted material (as in the firmware) owned by Sony and also breaching their terms and conditions of sale.
We don't have a DMCA in South Africa. Breaching their terms and conditions of sale? So the sale becomes void? Are they going to give you a refund?

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
In SA there is no piracy law as such, but there is a counterfeiting law which is normally what they nail the guys for making copies with.
Yes, I have heard of this, but for distributing (selling?) copies, not making copies.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
We don't have a DMCA in South Africa. Breaching their terms and conditions of sale? So the sale becomes void? Are they going to give you a refund?

Yeah like I say it's technically illegal but it never goes anywhere.

Yes, I have heard of this, but for distributing (selling?) copies, not making copies.

Generally it's one of those things that as long as you don't print the discs so they look like the originals then it's fine.

In this case if it's sitting on a hard drive you can't really argue that, so again nothing will come of it.