Laptop Purchase

LeeAlexa12

I'm in the market to buy my first laptop for everyday use as a university student. I'm currently struggling to decide between the Lenovo IdeaPad S130-IGM Celeron N4000 11.6 HD Notebook OR the Mecer Xpression 14" Atom Notebook - Intel Atom x5-Z8350, 32GB SSD, 2GB RAM, Windows 10.

I need something light and easy to carry but also something that isn't going to be slow in processing. Any ideas on which would be a better fit?

Crowley

Executive Member
I'm in the market to buy my first laptop for everyday use as a university student. I'm currently struggling to decide between the Lenovo IdeaPad S130-IGM Celeron N4000 11.6 HD Notebook OR the Mecer Xpression 14" Atom Notebook - Intel Atom x5-Z8350, 32GB SSD, 2GB RAM, Windows 10.

I need something light and easy to carry but also something that isn't going to be slow in processing. Any ideas on which would be a better fit?
What is your budget? Celeron > Atom but pretty much everything else is better than the two of them.

sajunky

Honorary Master
None of them. These are obsolete Atoms, sluggish, esspecially in graphics. It should be at least Atoms Goldmont based like Celerons N3350/N3450 or Pentium N4200. Or a newer Goldmont Plus range Celeron N4000/N4100 or Pentium N4500 with HDMI 2.0.
See in a similar thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/looking-to-replace-a-hp-530-laptop.1005816/

You didn't mention what kind of work you do, but if this kind of performance is not sufficient, you should consider Celerons or Pentium CPUs which are stripped down versions of mainstream I-series, but it is difficult to find in a small package. For a lightweight and even more power - ultrabooks with i3/5/7, prices 10k+.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

Without us knowing your budget, you may as well ask "how long is a piece of string".

But as other posters already said, both the options you mention, will be useless to you since you want
something that isn't going to be slow in processing.
Those laptops are what I would call glorified calculators.

So give us an idea of your budget and we can help. Also will you need any Office applications? These are NOT free and will be additional cost.

If you don't need Outlook as an email client, a Student & Teacher version of Microsoft Office 365 may be a good option.

MSI South Africa

Company Representative
Company Rep

Hi LeeAlexa12

You may want to consider MSI PS42. It's a 14" screen in 13.3" chassis, full aluminum chassis. If you're in Gauteng I'd suggest Evetech at https://www.evetech.co.za/msi-prest...sional-laptop-deal/laptops-for-sale/9639.aspx

If you're in the Western Cape then go to any of the Computer Mania store, they should be bale to help you.

Light - 1.19Kgs
Easy to Carry - 14"
Not slow in processing - At least Core i5-8250U processor

Hope this helps :)

Kind regards,
MSI Notebook Team.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
14" screen in 13.3" chassis
View attachment 618414 Thin bezel (larger screen) will resolve the issue :)
I don't even know where to begin or how to respond to that....apart from saying that it really doesn't work like that.

There are differences between actual and viewable screen size, and that is influenced by the bezel size.

You cannot have a14" screen inside a 13.3" chassis, unless the edges of the screen actually overlap when the lid is closed.

Also, from the link you supplied:

MSI.JPG

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Dell also makes noises like that for the XPS laptops- basically they mean the bezels are so thin that it looks like a 13.3" notebook when it's closed but open it up and hey presto you have a 14" screen.

It's annoying, agreed, but it's marketing speak.

Incidentally I answered a similar question on laptops just the other day:

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/laptop-purchasing-advice.1005508/#post-22893178
It's not annoying, as much it is like saying "We have put 5l of water into a 2l bucket".

It is just blatantly wrong.

You can say there is a 14" screen inside a 14" chassis, but the bezel is so small you have a 13.8" viewable screen.

In all my years in IT I have NEVER seen a vendor say they have a 14" screen inside a 13" chassis...it is so obviously ridiculous and would sound incredibly stupid.

It's not annoying, as much it is like saying "We have put 5l of water into a 2l bucket".

It is just blatantly wrong.

You can say there is a 14" screen inside a 14" chassis, but the bezel is so small you have a 13.8" viewable screen.

In all my years in IT I have NEVER seen a vendor say they have a 14" screen inside a 13" chassis...it is so obviously ridiculous and would sound incredibly stupid.
I don't disagree with you but it's marketing speak... You've just got to see through the BS to understand what they really mean.

I have an old 13.3" notebook (and by that I mean the actual screen size) which is only slightly smaller than my circa-2014 14" notebook, which has about the same footprint as a colleague's new 15" ultrabook. So with each of these the physical chassis is more or less similar size, but the actual useable screen is substantially bigger.