Lasik

CathJ

Expert Member
I've just started the process of getting an appointment to be assessed for LASIK... now I'm nervous :eek:

The thing is that I've been wanting this for years, and even went to be assessed 3 or 4 years ago, but couldn't do it then because they didn't have the custom ablation machines (which I need because I have irregular astigmatism). So I should be excited, not nervous... guess I'm nervous in case I'm not suitable.

blunomore

Honorary Master
I am sure it is scary, we only have one pair of eyes and we need them!

To make you feel better, I have an appointment with the gynae next week. I think you're better off than me :)

CathJ

Expert Member
I am sure it is scary, we only have one pair of eyes and we need them!

To make you feel better, I have an appointment with the gynae next week. I think you're better off than me :)

Ooh, yes. Definitely ;)

Dolby

Honorary Master
Sorry for being stupid, but what is LASIK?

They laser your eyes to make them more of a regular shape, so that you no longer need glasses.

The one thing I've heard about that is that it reduces night vision ?

CathJ

Expert Member
They laser your eyes to make them more of a regular shape, so that you no longer need glasses.

The one thing I've heard about that is that it reduces night vision ?

Apparently not with the newer techniques (although with my contacts I get starbursts at night anyway). From Dr Hill's website:

# With the older lasers that only treated a small area of the cornea, night vision was a problem in some patients. What happens is that the pupil enlarges at night and becomes bigger than the treatment area. Light rays then enter the eye through the treated area and also around the edge, causing a "ghost" image and glare. These subside to a large extent over a period of 3 to 6 months. With the newer lasers the treatment area is much larger and these problems are now uncommon.

However, if you require treatment for a large refractive error or if you have large pupils at night you may notice these effects especially in the initial period. We will measure your pupil size in the dark and will give you an indication on whether this could be a problem. In a recent survey we found that almost all patients found their vision to be better or unchanged at night, this is because contact lenses or glasses can also cause these symptoms and are, of course, not needed after laser treatment!

blunomore

Honorary Master
Apparently not with the newer techniques (although with my contacts I get starbursts at night anyway). From Dr Hill's website:

I wonder how they determine if one is suitable. Does your sight have to be quite bad before you qualify, or is that not the issue?

CathJ

Expert Member
I wonder how they determine if one is suitable. Does your sight have to be quite bad before you qualify, or is that not the issue?

There are whole lot of criteria - your eyesight has to be bad enough, but not too bad. Your cornea has to be thick enough. Your vision has to be stable (so if your prescription has changed in the last few years, you're not suitable). Your pupil can't be too big in the dark. You can't have any other eye problems (like keratoconus). And probably a bunch of other things that I don't know about.

flarkit

Executive Member
Had it done in '03 and I'm ecstatic with the result. Only wish I could've afforded it 5 years earlier!

blunomore

Honorary Master
There are whole lot of criteria - your eyesight has to be bad enough, but not too bad. Your cornea has to be thick enough. Your vision has to be stable (so if your prescription has changed in the last few years, you're not suitable). Your pupil can't be too big in the dark. You can't have any other eye problems (like keratoconus). And probably a bunch of other things that I don't know about.

So many issues - I'm surprised anyone qualifies at all :D

EvilDarkElf

Do you have a ballpark estimate of the cost? I know it depends on all kinds of stuff, but is it closer to R3000 or R30 000? Where are you having it done and how did you verify that they are reputable/safe?

Sorry for the barrage of questions; my BF REALLY wants to have it done, but he's suffering from decision paralysis atm and some info could help that. Thanx

Last edited:

CathJ

Expert Member
Do you have a ballpark estimate of the cost? I know it depends on all kinds of stuff, but is it closer to R3000 or R30 000? Where are you having it done and how did you verify that they are reputable/safe?

Sorry for the barrage of questions; my BF REALLY wants to have it done, but he's suffering from decision paralysis atm and some info could help that. Thanx

Take a look at eyelaser.co.za, it's a really good site. Lots of information on there.

The cost for this year was R12800, it's probably going up next year (I'd imagine). It's actually a fixed cost, and covers everything you need after the surgery and consultations etc.

I'm going to Dr Hill, because he's local, and he's got the custom ablation machines (my ophthalmologist doesn't, unfortunately). He's got a good reputation, and has been doing lasik for many years.

CathJ

Expert Member
Had it done in '03 and I'm ecstatic with the result. Only wish I could've afforded it 5 years earlier!

Always good to hear of people who're happy with it :) It was actually reading a blog post from a guy who had it done and said how amazing and life changing it was that got me to start looking around again (I was crushed when I couldn't have it done before).

I really think it will make a huge difference to me.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Had it done last year Decmeber- but my eyesite was quite bad, -5.5 :eek:
Anyway what they don't tell you is that if your eye site is quite bad, you will need to go for another "minor" re op.

I went for Zyoptix- better than lasik, and its better for night driving. Also about R2000 more per an eye.

Eyesite has gone slightly downhill again, but still don't need specs. Got an appointment today with Farouk Moosa (Durban).

Its only 5 minutes of panic, when he actually makes a slit and pulls up the flap on your eye. You can actually smell the laser burning thou :/
After, you wear face gear for a day to protect your eyes, They usually encourage you to sleep. You'll see a change in your eyesite almost immediatly after your op, thou your eyesite will only be "perfect" at the end of the day- its like getting a new life really :)
You just need to put drops couple times a day after- anti inflammatory and anti bacterial.
Needless to say, its a very bad idea to rub your eyes for the first couple days lol.
Thou the face gear on the first day renders you incapable to do so :)

Hope my 2 cents helped lol

CathJ

Expert Member
Had it done last year Decmeber- but my eyesite was quite bad, -5.5 :eek:
Anyway what they don't tell you is that if your eye site is quite bad, you will need to go for another "minor" re op.

I went for Zyoptix- better than lasik, and its better for night driving. Also about R2000 more per an eye.

Eyesite has gone slightly downhill again, but still don't need specs. Got an appointment today with Farouk Moosa (Durban).

Its only 5 minutes of panic, when he actually makes a slit and pulls up the flap on your eye. You can actually smell the laser burning thou :/
After, you wear face gear for a day to protect your eyes, They usually encourage you to sleep. You'll see a change in your eyesite almost immediatly after your op, thou your eyesite will only be "perfect" at the end of the day- its like getting a new life really :)
You just need to put drops couple times a day after- anti inflammatory and anti bacterial.
Needless to say, its a very bad idea to rub your eyes for the first couple days lol.
Thou the face gear on the first day renders you incapable to do so :)

Hope my 2 cents helped lol

Haven't heard of Zyoptix, but googling it it sounds like custom ablation.