LG vs. Philips Home Theater??

soldierboi

I cant make my mind up on these two home theater sets:
LG HT964TZ & Philips HTS3568DW.

LG: Pros: Looks great, Good sound quality, 1080p Upscaling
Cons: 1 HDMI input, abit more expensive
(R5000 - R6000)

Philips: Pros: Looks good, wireless rear speakers (with receiver incl), ipod dock incl, upscaling, good price
Cons: Receiver quality (uncertain?), Big specs-under delivery(potential),
(R3000 - R4000)

If you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

gnomez

Please *DONT* go for the LG ! I've had a Sony, LG and now a Phillips home theater system, and the Phillips is by far the best.

imo the phillips is better quality (far better) and the lg is an entry level, value for money brand.

soldierboi

Having spoke to the guy at Stax, he says "its the Boss (LG)", which I know is salesman speech. I was also leaning towards the Philips, but worried about the wireless receivers. Are the Phillips wireless speakers and receiver any good?

Thanks!

sdd

Expert Member
Having spoke to the guy at Stax, he says "its the Boss (LG)", which I know is salesman speech. I was also leaning towards the Philips, but worried about the wireless receivers. Are the Phillips wireless speakers and receiver any good?

Thanks!

Go for the Philips. My only concern is the dvd tray ... it feels a bit flimsy.

If you are an true audiophile the wireless setup is not that great ... but for dvd watching - it is great.

howardb

Expert Member
+1 for the Philips - my LG DVD recorder has gone through 5 optical drives since new, and I've replaced it with a Samsung now - I'd stay away from LG and go for the Philips... you can't go wrong with Philips!

RanzB

Honorary Master
I've got an LG system. I'm happy with it, but had to replace the optical in once. It worked fine after that, and was under warranty.

soldierboi

Much Appreciated guys! I have thought it through and I will get the Philips. My mind said it too so now you guys just confirmed it. Shot-a-lot!!

Cats Digital

Philips make awesome sound systems. Sony as well ... but depends on the price range. I personally had a Samsung which gave in just after warranty expired ... and now have an old demo Sony which blows me away every time.
Have heard the Philips being demoed in the shop though and its also quite wow.

Save up, go for Bose ... I wet my pants every time someone demo's it :p

titeroper

Bose is overpriced, acoustically challenged, and just plain horrible to listen to for any period of time without suffering from hearing fatigue.

Goto Digital Experience in 4ways, grab a Yamaha av receiver and 5.1 speaker package for R7,500 and it will crush your HTIB options, as well as any Bose.