Living with an ulcer

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Comes and goes for me for certain periods of time. Usually it's something I eat that triggers it, spicy food in particular. I normally take a Gaviscon whenever it comes up which helps sooth it.

Had a bad bout a few weeks back where I thought I was dying. Intense cramps and couldn't sit, stand or lie down. Doc prescribed Librax and Bevispas which sorted it out...

The Voice

Honorary Master
No ulcers, but the sheer amount of meds I was on after my heart attacks burnt away the lining in my stomach and duodenum (erosive gastritis and erosive duodenitis). The photos show what look like multiple cigarette burns. Pretty gross, and extremely painful! I eventually almost stopped eating entirely because I associated food with excruciating pain.

nazmo

Expert Member
Yurra...I didn't realise having an ulcer was this serious or bad to live with!

I guess im relatively lucky coming from a bleeding ulcer and having gone 9 years without having to worry about it. but yes. just a few disprins and im back in hospital.

Iceman360

Was on Lansoloc for 15 years without any serious side effects. Had horrible heartburn every day but if I took my meds I was fine.

Went to see and doc and sent me for a scope. He picked up I had a hiatal hernia and my valve keeping the acids in stomach does not work and he recommended a hernia repair and Nissen Fundoplication. Had the same op 3 times as the Nissen fundoplication kept coming loose for various reasons. Last one was was in 2019 and so far so good. Won't go again though.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Yeah went for one of those wonderful procedures hehe although I think they were mainly ruling out an ulcer
so they said it looked all clear
Those who have had it know the horror... others will never understand the horrors we have experienced.

nazmo

Expert Member
Those who have had it know the horror... others will never understand the horrors we have experienced.
I literally thought I was going to die. passed out on the way to the car. it was more the anxiety than anything. caught early you will be fine. but in the past, before antibiotics and PPI, people died.

killerbyte

Expert Member
I literally thought I was going to die. passed out on the way to the car. it was more the anxiety than anything. caught early you will be fine. but in the past, before antibiotics and PPI, people died.
I was more speaking about the scope.
But you aren't wrong... people used to die from ulcers. The pain must have been terrible for them.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Yurra...I didn't realise having an ulcer was this serious or bad to live with!
Pray you never get it. It feels like death itself. If we lived in an age before modern medicine, I would have been tempted to off myself just to end it...

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I had minor ulcers all I had to do was stop loading my hotdogs with picked green chilies and eat some yogurt for a couple weeks. I used to have 3 to 5 chillies per hotdog and used to have 2 to 3 hotdogs a serving.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Do not take any aspirin or ibuprofen they cause ulcers and make it worse.
In fact ulcer patients should never take them again. Most important do not stress as thats the number one cause of ulcers.

You do get anti inflammatories in suppository form as well, for when you really need it. Just saying ;)

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I was more speaking about the scope.
But you aren't wrong... people used to die from ulcers. The pain must have been terrible for them.

I've had the scope 4 times, and it's really not bad at all.
I made an appointment with a surgeon for a suspected hiatal hernia, but because he had a 1 year waiting list, I went for a scope somewhere else to confirm the GP's diagnosis. That was #1.
#2 was with the original surgeon for his diagnosis.
#3 was for the verification that the nissen F op was successful.
#4 was after I had heartburn after a year, and wanted to confirm that it was still in place.

The propofol they used to put me under just gives me nice, deep sleep with some nice dreams for the 15 minutes it lasts.
Once I woke up with one less filling, and usually my throat it a bit sensitive.

As for other topics - I recommend getting the Nissen F if you have a hiatal hernia, and getting it from a VERY experienced surgeon. The worst part of the op was that my heels were sore from laying on the hard operating table.

I was on Trustan 40 for about a year for gastritis, together with Ulsanic, and stopped about 3 months after the surgery. Tustan worked the best of the ones I took. I took it again for about 2 - 3 months the last time I had serious heartburn and was diagnosed with gastritis again.

Before the hiatal hernia diagnosis, I was told to cut out certain foods - grain, caffiene, alcohol, spicy food, and it really helped as well. I think dairy might have been on the list as well.

killerbyte

Expert Member
I made an appointment with a surgeon for a suspected hiatal hernia, but because he had a 1 year waiting list, I went for a scope somewhere else to confirm the GP's diagnosis. That was #1.
#4 was after I had heartburn after a year, and wanted to confirm that it was still in place.

The propofol they used to put me under just gives me nice, deep sleep with some nice dreams for the 15 minutes it lasts.

As for other topics - I recommend getting the Nissen F if you have a hiatal hernia, and getting it from a VERY experienced surgeon. The worst part of the op was that my heels were sore from laying on the hard operating table.

I was on Trustan 40 for about a year for gastritis, together with Ulsanic, and stopped about 3 months after the surgery. Tustan worked the best of the ones I took. I took it again for about 2 - 3 months the last time I had serious heartburn and was diagnosed with gastritis again.

Before the hiatal hernia diagnosis, I was told to cut out certain foods - grain, caffiene, alcohol, spicy food, and it really helped as well. I think dairy might have been on the list as well.
I was awake for my scope. Awake for every second of it.

zubheir

I was advised not to do the surgery as it will come back after a while. I just cleaned up my diet, exercise regularly and take lansoloc as needed. Honestly Ive been coping quite well. Eat smaller meals and eat early for better digestion. I also take vitamin D and B12 as you become deficient from ppi use.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Pray you never get it. It feels like death itself. If we lived in an age before modern medicine, I would have been tempted to off myself just to end it...
Any tried & tested ways on how to avoid it? Lifestyle wise.

grok

Honorary Master
Old boereraat: eat a teaspoon of Zambuk every day.

Dad was about to have part of his stomach removed when his mother in law gave him this advice, no surgery necessary in fact Dr's gast was flabbered.

SG1

I've been taking aspirin daily for years because if headaches. Three weeks back I felt like I was dying. Cramps in my sides which doc said were probably period pains. But then the lower back and side pains hit me. According to him, if I don't throw up blood, it's not an ulcer. I have almost constant nausea, especially before or after eating.

So I've stopped taking the aspirin but would like some suggestions. I bought a bottle of Ulsanic and Mayogel today. I take it about 4 time a day. Is this sufficient?

I do get killer headaches from long work hours and minimal sleep. Apart from Panado, what can I take long term for the headaches (now that I can't take aspirin or ibuprofen), and for the ulcer?

wireddreams

No ulcers, but the sheer amount of meds I was on after my heart attacks burnt away the lining in my stomach and duodenum (erosive gastritis and erosive duodenitis). The photos show what look like multiple cigarette burns. Pretty gross, and extremely painful! I eventually almost stopped eating entirely because I associated food with excruciating pain.
What did you take

The Voice

Honorary Master
I've been taking aspirin daily for years because if headaches. Three weeks back I felt like I was dying. Cramps in my sides which doc said were probably period pains. But then the lower back and side pains hit me. According to him, if I don't throw up blood, it's not an ulcer. I have almost constant nausea, especially before or after eating.

So I've stopped taking the aspirin but would like some suggestions. I bought a bottle of Ulsanic and Mayogel today. I take it about 4 time a day. Is this sufficient?

I do get killer headaches from long work hours and minimal sleep. Apart from Panado, what can I take long term for the headaches (now that I can't take aspirin or ibuprofen), and for the ulcer?
What is your daily water and coffee intake?