LLU battle - Neotel prevails in first round

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Interesting, so in summary, Neotel can access Telkom exchanges? But at what cost and who determines that cost? Or is there provision for that already?

skimread

Executive Member
Telkom can't moan.
There was a ministerial directive for LLU to be completed Nov this year that was announced way back in 2007.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
What bothers me is that ICASA should have been regulating this in the first place. Why did it have to take a complaint from Neotel to get anything out of them?

Mouse

Expert Member
What bothers me is that ICASA should have been regulating this in the first place. Why did it have to take a complaint from Neotel to get anything out of them?
Neofail had to go help ICASA pull its head out of its arse first.

skimread

Executive Member
ICASA’s Complaints and Compliance Committee rebukes regulator over LLU delays and silence
Is this an article mistake if not then it reads ICASA CCC rebukes ICASA. :confused:

MickeyD

RIP
TBH this is no surprise if you followed the LLU hearings w.r.t. facilities leasing. The outcome was pretty predictable.

Just like the pending response...

zamicro

Expert Member
OK. So after many years we now have a verdict, which will be challenged and by the time it is heard, we will already have some form of LLU.

FNfal

Executive Member
OK. So after many years we now have a verdict, which will be challenged and by the time it is heard, we will already have some form of LLU.
I believe you are correct except no one from the ISPs have agreed to what form of bitstreaming will be used and who will pay for what Equipment and how it will terminate, to many questions on LLU still to be answered

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
well its inevitable: the Facilities Leasing Regulations apply, LLU regulation process should be about facilitating the process such that it doesn't become a high yield exchange tiff. Neotel has every reason to demand access to exchanges where they can make easy money.

extremist

Is this an article mistake if not then it reads ICASA CCC rebukes ICASA. :confused:
Strange but true.

ICASA's Complaints and Compliance Committee told ICASA it needs to get the LLU regulations in place as they should have been finished with them on 1 November 2011 already.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Ok, so ICASA or a committee thereof has made some logical noise.
But there was no imposition upon Telkom. Just that they're in agreement with the complaint.
So still treading water then?

pjjdp

Expert Member
Let's start another committee to oversee the complaints committee. Maybe LLU will happen in July. :)

With all the committees, why is the unemployment so high? LOL

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
"According to ICASA, the committee found that it is proper that the Authority impose “the terms and conditions that are consistent with the law.”"

Excuse my less than firm grip on legal considerations, but what is ICASA saying here?

entrepr

Expert Member
"According to ICASA, the committee found that it is proper that the Authority impose “the terms and conditions that are consistent with the law.”"

Excuse my less than firm grip on legal considerations, but what is ICASA saying here?
Seems like they are saying that the Facilities regulations do actually exist and therefore need to be enforced as they are. One cannot say that because a law or regulation is due to be changed soon, parties should wait for the change before acting.

That's my take on it anyway.

What's not clear is exactly what action now needs to be taken by Telkom and Neotel. I guess the action is take the Facilities regulations and implement them as they are in the case of LLU.

BTW - I think this is a great move by an ICASA body.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
While this is a welcome ruling, I doubt it will change anything tbh.... plus I'm not all that ecstatic about Neotottie trying to provide Wired services... I don't think the company is actually up to it for a residential market.