Local Usage

.Matthew

Hi

I was just wondering if I play TF2 on SAIX, does it use local or international bandwidth?
I use Telkoms DO 3 plan.

Thanks

Last edited:

davemc

Executive Member
.Matthew, your terminology is wrong.

You get Blended and Local-Only.

If you are using an account with Blended bandwidth available, then you are using Blended bandwidth.
If you are using a Local-Only account, then you are using local bandwidth.

A Blended Account becomes a Local-Only account once all it's Blended capacity is used up.

Sheepbot

Yes, saix servers are local, but I thought steam needed international cap so it can authenticate with their servers? Can anyone confirm?

.Matthew

.Matthew, your terminology is wrong.

You get Blended and Local-Only.

If you are using an account with Blended bandwidth available, then you are using Blended bandwidth.
If you are using a Local-Only account, then you are using local bandwidth.

A Blended Account becomes a Local-Only account once all it's Blended capacity is used up.
So how can i stop using the Blended bandwidth and use the local only, which is never used?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
So how can i stop using the Blended bandwidth and use the local only, which is never used?
You can't. You either have to use up your blended bandwidth first (get capped), or buy an account that is local only.

Or you can set up and use RouteSentry which will allow you to use both an international account and a local account and keep them separate.

But yes... that IP looks local to me.

.Matthew

Hmmmmm, all this stuff is a bit confusing, what I think I will do is wait for the 3GB customers to get to get 5GB next month. That should be enough for games :D

Lightscribe

Banned
I can use anything from 50k to 1,5meg/s in a MMOG called Secondlife, depending on the amount I want to throttle the speed, in the Secondlife client/UI preferences.

To see the upload and download speeds of the game, on your line, simply click the two small pc icons, in the taskbar, bottom right of your screen, for your Local area connection window to pop up during the game.

For download speed, you will get an effective 10% of your line speed, so for a 384k line, 39k/s at best. Upload is again always about 10 to 15% of your download speed, about 4-5k/s at best.

39k for 1 minute is 2.34megs

39k for 1 hour is 140.4megs

39k for one 24 hour day is 3369.6megs

39k for 1 week is 23587.2megs

39k for one 31 day month is 104457.6megs

Upload bandwidth usage is about 8-10 times less, but both upload and download chews up your total bandwidth.

Th3NaRRoW

BF2 will use about 40mb an Hour with bf2142 using about 50mb. This will increase and decrease with the amount of time you spend using ingame voip.

Approximate usage of TF2 is ~15kb/s.
So about 50-60mb's an hour. If you play alot it adds up.

pietmuis

You need international bandwidth to connect to your steam account before you can start the game, so if you have local only you will not be able to authenticate to steam.