Long lasting inverter

cozy35

I just bought a powerstash inverter. Anyone have any experience with this inverter?

Brolloks

No but would be quite interested in what other people are using... contemplating building my own inverter instead of buying the whole shebang

ProAsm

Expert Member
Most inverters are similar and mostly use the same circuitry, the secret is how you treat your batteries.
Never pull them down further than 50% which is 12.05 volts else you create permanent damage.
The same goes for charging the batteries, do not use a Lead Acid charger on a Silver Calcium else you shorten your battery life by as much as 75%

ProAsm

Expert Member
No but would be quite interested in what other people are using... contemplating building my own inverter instead of buying the whole shebang
I was also going to do this, but if it's only for load shedding, then you do not need anything more than a 500 watt job and go find an old UPS (plenty lying around), they work like a dream with some decent batteries.

cozy35

Most inverters are similar and mostly use the same circuitry, the secret is how you treat your batteries.
Never pull them down further than 50% which is 12.05 volts else you create permanent damage.
The same goes for charging the batteries, do not use a Lead Acid charger on a Silver Calcium else you shorten your battery life by as much as 75%
At least someone that knows battery technology. Just to add - I've been through a vigorous battery testing spree for a blog. Two batteries (Silver Calcium) Deep cycles that stand head and shoulders above anything else, the Excis 102 AH and the Deltec 102 AH both with a R.C of 180 mins. The Excis seems more stable but delivers the same discharge performance as the Deltecs. Deltecs are cheaper and preferred by solar system installers. I also tested the Enex X31 battery but they do not run as long as the Excis and Deltec. They are only 100 AH but also a R.C Rating of 180 mins.

Correctly said... one should never discharge more than 50%. This seems to be the figure where the best cycle life vs cost is. Always choose an inverter/charger that manages batteries properly and protects low level to 10.5 V under load or 12.05 open circuit. Over charge protection is also vital to battery health. Normal lead acid battery chargers will break yiur battery within a couple of cycles. Been there done that.

Gnome

Executive Member
Personally after much research I found the following brand to be very solid:
Cotek/Go Power/Samlex/Thor. They are all the same company sold under different brands in various parts of the world

This is the Cotek ST series which is identical to the Cotek SK but with an automatic transfer switch:
1000W
1500W
2500W

Quality is awesome, many reviews online of Samlex SK series (internally identical to ST) which are universally pretty good.

They are expensive but still much cheaper than Victron which IMO is overpriced.

This guy has some reviews on youtube and his knowledge of electronics is pretty epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqAKpiVgst0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjuzNdXqEeA

It is cool to see what he can power with his Samlex SK3000 which was pretty impressive.

Last edited:

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I have a powerstash markII inverter at home. works pretty well
I bet you have it less than a year.

When you see a store selling lead calcium batteries claiming them to be 'deep cycle' yet it clearly warns you ( on battery label) not to discharge it below 50%, this must ring alarm bells.

It's fortunate for these guys that 99% of the market have no knowledge in this department ....

Eddie01

I bet you have it less than a year.

When you see a store selling lead calcium batteries claiming them to be 'deep cycle' yet it clearly warns you ( on battery label) not to discharge it below 50%, this must ring alarm bells.

It's fortunate for these guys that 99% of the market have no knowledge in this department ....
Yip - only a couple of months now...but I've had my Ellies Inverter for over 5years now with exactly the same batts...

muhamedpe

I have tried the powerstar
Ended up ordering a bulk load of 15 various sizes.
What a realible solid & tough inverter.
Ordered 1000w 1500w 2000w 3000w 4000w& 6000w.
Have sold many as hobby.
Setup 8 of them myself.
Have another bulk order on way to SA.