Looking for series like ...

seriesnaut

The Wire, Justified, The Blacklist, Blacklist Redemption, Mentalist, True Detective (s), Goliath, Rectify, Breaking Bad, The Night Of, Better call Saul, The Good Wife - legal, cop, drama stuff ... like it more contemporary as it becomes a bit lame when the cops don't even have mobiles (?!). Boston Legal was good as well - stood the test of time but maybe it's just good writing, William Shatner and James Spader. Just finished 'Big Little Lies' - quite nice but not nearly as good - and am watching the Handmaid's Tale - but that is something different (and awaiting GOT of course) Was jsut wondering whether anyone had a recommendation or two? Also watched Shetland - British series ... quite nice too. Open to other series apart from Cop / Legal Drama stuff ...may have missed a couple

MickeyD

RIP
Morse
Endeavour
Inspector George Gently
New Tricks
Prime Suspect
SS-GB
Lewis

seriesnaut

Thanks for those - some I've heard of, some I've tried - see some British ones in there ...

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
So what exactly are you looking for since you're throwing in drama and sci in there as well?

seriesnaut

Hard to say - maybe anything that seems authentic and with a really good storyline and nice actors. Another couple that I watched that were pretty good were 'Slings and Arrows' very well written and acted - nothing to do with Cops or legal - about a Canadian Shakespearian Theatre company - modern day. 'Last Tango in Halifax' - British series about two octogenarians meeting up after decades, falling in love - and how their families fit together etc. Halifax is in Yorkshire - so beautiful. Also modern day. Then the historicals - Downton Abbey, Vikings, The Knick, Boardwalk Empire, Ripper Street - all amazing. Something just works or doesn't - must feel authentic and not keep repeating the same thing week after week!
Am going to to give The Night Manager a try ...

Last edited:

mr_smithh

Hard to say - maybe anything that seems authentic and with a really good storyline and nice actors. Another couple that I watched that were pretty good were 'Slings and Arrows' very well written and acted - nothing to do with Cops or legal - about a Canadian Shakespearian Theatre company - modern day. 'Last Tango in Halifax' - British series about two octogenarians meeting up after decades, falling in love - and how their families fit together etc. Halifax is in Yorkshire - so beautiful. Also modern day. Then the historicals - Downton Abbey, Vikings, The Knick, Boardwalk Empire, Ripper Street - all amazing. Something just works or doesn't - must feel authentic and not keep repeating the same thing week after week!
Am going to to give The Night Manager a try ...
Hope you like it. Since you liked downtown Abbey, you can give 'the crown' a try.

Readsalot

Expert Member
Two series that I loved and that are frequently forgotten/overlooked these days:

Lie To Me (2009) Starring Tim Roth as the irascible Cal Lightman, the world's leading deception expert who studies facial expressions and involuntary body language to expose the truth behind the lies.

Life (2007) Starring Damian Lewis and Sarah Shahi. LAPD detective Charlie Crews has survived 12 years in jail as an innocent cop, was exonerated and released. Rich on his settlement he could retire, but chooses to resume police work - to the dismay of his new partner, Dani Reese.

DanDango

Executive Member
The Wire
Ratings:
9.3/10 IMDb
96% Rotten Tomatoes
9/10 TV.com

Last edited:

DanDango

Executive Member
Sons of Anarchy
Mr. Robot