Losing my patience with Ubuntu...

Merlin

Expert Member
Ola,

I installed Ubuntu on a virtual machine a while back with the intention of testing it out for use as my primary OS.

I'd like to ultimately move away from Windows as much as possible. Options are always good.

It seems fairly widely acknowledged that Ubuntu is the best option for absolute Linux beginners.

Fair enough, it looks like an OS.

The constant nags for a password when I want to do anything are @#$%ing annoying, but I can get past that...

Where does a newbie go to learn how to do anything other than click on what's available?

Is what you find in the software centre the only available software for Ubuntu?

How does one install software?

What are the necessary basic Linux commands?

For example, I battled my rear end off to install Firefox 4.0 until I came across a website detailing the install procedure. I would never have figured that out.

Is there an easy and comprehensive guide available somewhere that you would specifically recommend?

Thanks.

Merlin

Expert Member
Thanks chaps.

I found myself on some or other bit of the Ubuntu 'site via Google the other day, but I don't think it's where I was supposed to be. Hehe. I'll check out the forums...

Brilliant jimo. Much appreciated.

Did you go back to Windows, tun@?

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Ola,

I installed Ubuntu on a virtual machine a while back with the intention of testing it out for use as my primary OS.

I'd like to ultimately move away from Windows as much as possible. Options are always good.

It seems fairly widely acknowledged that Ubuntu is the best option for absolute Linux beginners.

Fair enough, it looks like an OS.

The constant nags for a password when I want to do anything are @#$%ing annoying, but I can get past that...

Darn security....

Where does a newbie go to learn how to do anything other than click on what's available?
Google?

Is what you find in the software centre the only available software for Ubuntu?
Theres more stuff in Synaptic (under administration)

How does one install software?
You tick "install"

What are the necessary basic Linux commands?

You dont need to use the commands to install software, but if you want to install software from cli heres how to: http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/12/concise-apt-get-dpkg-primer-for-new.html ...

For example, I battled my rear end off to install Firefox 4.0 until I came across a website detailing the install procedure. I would never have figured that out.
I know of no one who knows how to do everything in an new OS the first time they use it, dont worry, it`ll come to you.

Is there an easy and comprehensive guide available somewhere that you would specifically recommend?

Thanks.

https://help.ubuntu.com/

When I first learnt linux I also couldnt give up Windows like Tun@, now that I have experience I cant give up Linux.

Odracir

Expert Member
Why isn't Ubuntu as straight foward as Windows to install and use?

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Why isn't Ubuntu as straight foward as Windows to install and use?

Its easier. Really.. how hard is it to click "next" ?

If a person has never used windows or linux and you introduce them to both, its easier for them to pick up linux than windows. Once you are programmed to windows its much harder. My mom in her late 50`s can use Ubuntu easily and she knows almost nothing about computers. Old people love Ubuntu, its simpler for them.

walter_l

If a person has never used windows or linux and you introduce them to both, its easier for them to pick up linux than windows. Once you are programmed to windows its much harder. My mom in her late 50`s can use Ubuntu easily and she knows almost nothing about computers. Old people love Ubuntu, its simpler for them.

Well said and very true. Linux (especially Ubuntu) isn't harder, it's just different.

Also, the Ubuntu ZA local community is very helpful. Try the mailing list or IRC channel.

Merlin

Expert Member
Thanks for the info' everyone.

I'll defo check out the local 'site - bonus.

I didn't expect to know everything right off of the bat, but having to go to Google to find out that you need to open a terminal and type up a list of unknown 'sudo' commands in order to install Firefox was somewhat bewildering.

Big Al, I'm not in my 30s, but the last time I >properly< used DOS was more than likely a decade ago. At the moment, something with a GUI is an OS to me. ;)

TheMightyP

Ola,

No, I don't think so. It takes time to learn how to work with linux. It's not easy going from windows to linux. Almost all issues have been previously encountered though and can be googled. You just have to deal with them one by one. And, at some point, you have to decide if it's feasible for you to use linux as your primary os - it depends very much on your own needs and use case.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Couple of things:
  • The experience differs between Virtual machine & real box
  • Password prompts should get less once you've set everything up. There are also a few quick & dirty hacks to get around it...not good security wise though
  • Google how to enable the other repositories. I was kinda overwhelmed w/ the amount of stuff there is after doing that.:eek: That should also fix your firefox issue.
  • Install guake....its a terminal that drops down kinda like the console in quake & is bound to a keyboard shortcut. Very convenient.

Everything gets easier with time. Only thing that made me move back to windows was dual-booting for games which is a pain.

Merlin

Expert Member
No, I don't think so. It takes time to learn how to work with linux. It's not easy going from windows to linux. Almost all issues have been previously encountered though and can be googled. You just have to deal with them one by one. And, at some point, you have to decide if it's feasible for you to use linux as your primary os - it depends very much on your own needs and use case.

I begrudgingly gave up my beloved W2K for XP. I miss W2K...

Vista sucks the goonies.

...and I am certainly not a fan of 7 - I don't like how it does things, how it looks, feels, etc.

Windows is on a time limit with me.

I won't go Mac' because it's overpriced and I despise their attitude towards the use of DRM.

'nix it is. I am aware of the impending learning curve, but I also think I need to make a concerted effort.

It will be the primary - but when and how is the Q. ;)

Merlin

Expert Member
Thanks for the tips!

I don't play many games these days, so it's not a critical point for me...

I see that there is a virtual machine app' in Ubuntu though...

froot

Honorary Master
I see that there is a virtual machine app' in Ubuntu though...

Yes there is, Virtualbox. your best bet to install Virtualbox is to go to their website and download the one they have there (and follow the easy installation procedure). It's a tad better than what you get in the default Ubuntu repositories (last I checked). From there on you can have Windows in a VM for the little 'dows programs you just can't do without.

Odracir

Expert Member

OK, that is your experience and opinion.
Is Ubuntu Games friendly?

froot

Honorary Master

I have to agree with w1z4rd..... I've had less trouble teaching people to use Ubuntu than Windows when they know nothing other than point and click.

Ubuntu, like any other distro, is only as "games friendly" as the games allow. A fair number of games have been ported to Linux and can be played. In other cases you have to resort to WINE (Windows Emulator) or Crossover (useful for MSOffice too). In the last cases, such as Steam, you've got a problem. Steam have decided not to create a Linux port :(

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
If the game has a linux client (like HoN that I play), then yes, its crap easy. Easier than the windows install to install. If its not a linux game, then the game may be difficult to install depending on the game. I play WoW and HoN fine on both windows and linux. My hon is faster in linux than it is in windows.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
I have to agree with w1z4rd..... I've had less trouble teaching people to use Ubuntu than Windows when they know nothing other than point and click.

Ubuntu, like any other distro, is only as "games friendly" as the games allow. A fair number of games have been ported to Linux and can be played. In other cases you have to resort to WINE (Windows Emulator) or Crossover (useful for MSOffice too). In the last cases, such as Steam, you've got a problem. Steam have decided not to create a Linux port :(

I read they were working on a linux client (seems not), but steam works on wine afaik.

Last edited:

Tun@

Expert Member
Crossover - as i like to stick with outlook07 pst files - won't work with gmail(after trying to get it to work)
VMware - what a nightmare to get installed - would'nt recognise the kernel version or something - got it to install eventually but alot of searching for how(1-2 days).
Virtual box - much easier
After 6 months i thought Ubuntu was ok but recently blew that partition off my HDD & don't miss it.
Was an interesting journey but i find windows better,or less hassle i should say.