Mac Mini 5,3 2012 Server: Has Windows on it--Need to install macOS again

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Hi there, did not know where to post this. Hope it is in the right place.

I got a mac mini 2012 server (Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD+512GB HDD); it has Windows 10 on it; no partition for OS X/macOS--Option key only shows Windows 10 on primary drive (128GB SSD).

I want to install macOS on this machine. I do not have a mac machine that has macOS to use to download macOS from the App store. A few questions:
1. I think it came with OS X Lion server at birth; What macOS is compatible with this mac mini? is there like a hack to get it to run Catalina/or Mojave?
2. Where can I get this macOS ISO to burn bootable USB stick?
3. How do I burn a USB bootable disk using Windows 10 (only machines I have) from the downloaded ISO image (macOS);
4. I can install using USB--not a problem.

Can someone guide me to get this machine boot macOS again?

gfmalan

Expert Member
Good evening,

1) I assume you have the Late 2012 version, so Catalina supported.
2) any person with a Mac can make you one, or iStore.
3) You can use any image writer, but you would need the new image from someone with a Mac.

Do you have someone that can help?

Pho3nix

The Legend
It’s findable on the Internet. Forgot where but I installed mine from an iso online

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Good evening,

1) I assume you have the Late 2012 version, so Catalina supported. Yes it is a late 2012.
2) any person with a Mac can make you one, or iStore. I do not have anyone to ask right now; I have tried iStore, but they were not doing this voluntarily --reason: I have to book the machine in which will cost me.
3) You can use any image writer, but you would need the new image from someone with a Mac. On Windows 10?? I have been using Rufus and belenaEtcher; When I had a MacBook pro 13" with macOS Mojave on I used App with GUI to make USB drive.

Do you have someone that can help? Nope...I need help. I know we can download the ISO from the Apple website--just point me in the right direction...many thanks!

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
I read somewhere Catalina not supported..needed to hack the USB image to load a patch or something??

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Yes I can...and sweet! PM me link.
What can I use to burn ISO on USb while I am in Windows?? Rufus has no macOS as an ISO

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Transmac only sees DMG files, not ISO; trying to make a bootable Catalina USB drive from DMG I downloaded now...the burn process is so slow....I hope it does not bomb out.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member

Follow that article.
Wow, i did not know this at all--so mac machines have a reserve on hardware (but where??) that can be evoked to recover the macOS?? Is it like a hidden "BIOS"??

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Transmac only sees DMG files, not ISO; trying to make a bootable Catalina USB drive from DMG I downloaded now...the burn process is so slow....I hope it does not bomb out.
This did not work for me--Options-boot up did not show the disks on boot up--only Windows disk showing. USB stick I created using Transmac took the whole night to make, and still did not work.

I guess I will have to try the macOS Recovery by Lord Flako

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Wow, i did not know this at all--so mac machines have a reserve on hardware (but where??) that can be evoked to recover the macOS?? Is it like a hidden "BIOS"??
I booted into Internet Recovery mode...the first time, it bombed out..I tried
Shift-Option-cmd-R

Assigned a WiFi connection

It has connected. The grey bar under the globe is moving slowly, and time remaining shown at 12:34..an slowly counting...let us hope this works....

Edit: Time remaining---8:59...09:40...10:28... (oops...I guess I spoke to soon...)

Oh..oh..time remaining..gone up: 15:42...17:42...20:56...24:00

Last edited:

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Did you Try the recovery (Command&R) while starting?
Yes...it booted into Internet Recovery...see above

Time remaining is just going up (I am editing my post with times)

Is the Internet Recovery downloading the whole 8GB DMG image..is that why the progress is getting slower and slower?? or is it just stuck??

Last edited: