Mac users safe from Shellshock bug

i.got~issues

Expert Member
Shellshock” is a vulnerability in Bash, a piece of software packaged with Mac OS X, which is based on the Unix operating system. The bug does not appear to affect Apple’s iOS, which is used on the iPhone and iPad, or machines running Microsoft Corp’s Windows software.

^^ Uhm... OK. So headline should have said iOS and Windows Users Safer than Mac OSX users...

Let us not bend this out of proportion now...

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
But it also says :

Apple ships its computers so they are “safe by default,” Evans said, which means that they are not vulnerable to remote attacks unless users configure them for “advanced” Unix services.

“We are working to quickly provide a software update for our advanced UNIX users,” he said.

I would venture that there are a few advanced users on this forum

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
But it also says :

Apple ships its computers so they are “safe by default,” Evans said, which means that they are not vulnerable to remote attacks unless users configure them for “advanced” Unix services.

“We are working to quickly provide a software update for our advanced UNIX users,” he said.

I would venture that there are a few advanced users on this forum

Basically what they are saying is out of the box you are fine.

You need to specially enable these things which means if you are that advanced you are probably well aware of this vulnerability already by now.

This is however the case with most installations. Unless you specially opened it up for remote access most people out there will be safe.