MacBook Pro - oleophobic coating coming off

surfs-up

Expert Member
I have a 13 month old 15 " MBP retina...paid a fortune for it, about R 34 000.00. Well I notice that the oleophobic coating is getting the blotches/stains which cannot come off.

I have googled it, and I see there are massive problems with this - it became called "staingate" and Apple eventually offered free display replacements in the USA.

Has anyone had this problem, and have you had any luck getting the Core group to replace your screen for free ?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Took mine to the local iStore last year. Took about a week , mostly because it had to be sent to jnb, but they replaced the screen without any fuss.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

surfs-up

Expert Member
Thanks for the info Bwana.

Mine has got it all around the edges. Not really that noticeable, unless you hold the screen up at an angle to the light. But I would like to get it done before it spreads to the rest of the screen....while it is still under warranty.

Bwana, how is your new screen holding up ? how long ago was it replaced, and any signs of the stains on your screen yet ?

Here is mine...yes, not too bad, but I don't want it spreading all over the screen. No amount of cleaning can get rid of it...it is in the coating of the screen

DSC02017.jpg

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Bwana, how is your new screen holding up ? how long ago was it replaced, and any signs of the stains on your screen yet ?
As a matter of fact it's becoming marred again - I have a perfect outline of the trackpad and some keys. Not sure what's going on but seeing as I need to get my keyboard sorted, the "0" key is a tad buggered, I'm going to take it in again and ask for another screen replacement.

Hi

Apple replaces this for you, free of charge. It doesn't matter if your Mac is under warranty or not.

Regards
Kavish

surfs-up

Expert Member
Hi

Apple replaces this for you, free of charge. It doesn't matter if your Mac is under warranty or not.

Regards
Kavish
Correct, but must be done within 3 years from date of purchase. I'm taking mine in next week - I have been putting it off....I hate to be without my MBP for even a day.

Inconvenience - I am going to have to sit at a desk while using my Mac Mini while the MBP is getting fixed. No more lying on the sofa with the MBP. But good that they are taking care of it - I just hope the new one lasts.....this MBP flipping cost me R 34 000.00, and new now is R 45 000.00. The tech told me they don't fit a new display into the lid. Apparently they replace the entire lid with new display screen already Apple factory fitted inside the lid.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Took about a week for mine the first time. Going to wait until I'm in the UK in July to have it done again :eek:

Inn3rs3lf

Expert Member
just rub it off.

Spit and a course cotton, and its gone. For some reason, no glass cleaner, alcohol or the like takes it off. Weird.

It seems to be an ongoing thing, so honestly, just take it off or you will be visiting them every year or so for a replacement.

Rub it off, and then buy a screen protector

surfs-up

Expert Member
just rub it off.

Spit and a course cotton, and its gone. For some reason, no glass cleaner, alcohol or the like takes it off. Weird.

It seems to be an ongoing thing, so honestly, just take it off or you will be visiting them every year or so for a replacement.

Rub it off, and then buy a screen protector
What ? scratch the screen ? If it keeps coming off, why do they bother having that reflective stuff on.
My first two MacBook Pro 15 " laptops about 5 - 7 years ago came with an option - you could either order with the reflective screen, or for a bit more you could get the matt non-reflective screen. I always bought the non reflective version and of course, never had the problem. Then a few years later, they stopped offering the non-reflective screen.

Last edited:

Inn3rs3lf

Expert Member
It doesn't scratch the screen. It literally wipes off with spit and a cloth. Like you clean other screens? Yeah, like that. Except this highly expensive screen cannot stand up to the mighty spit cloth!

surfs-up

Expert Member
Well, I have reached boiling point, and about to do something irrational.

My MacBook Pro, which cost me R 34 000.00 two years ago, started showing signs of the lamination coming off the display.
There was nothing else wrong with my computer - I was using it daily for 8 - 10 hours a day. But I decided I would send it in to get the display replaced under the Apple Inc replacement program.

So I sent it off a week ago. Now I get a Core Group repair bill for R 10 820.01 !!!!!!!!!!! WTF ?

Their invoice shows a logic board and labour in the bill ???

What the hell is going on ? Is this what Core Group do ? make a fictitious repair bill to make more money off us.....after we pay so much for our Apple gear.

Is there a Core Group representative on here ? because I am about to explode out of frustration and resentment for this company

Here is a copy of the email I received from them. What must I do ? go to my lawyers, or go to Apple in California direct and complain about the way Core Group are treating their customers ?

mbp.jpg

surfs-up

Expert Member
yeah the GPU 16 GB is what makes your board so expensive.
I don't have a problem with the logic board !!!! it was fine, I just wanted the display replaced under the 3 year Apple Inc replacement warranty program, because the lamination coating was coming off ???????

Moosedrool

Expert Member
I don't have a problem with the logic board !!!! it was fine, I just wanted the display replaced under the 3 year Apple Inc replacement warranty program, because the coating was coming off ???????
oh sorry I thought that was a different issue you replaced the board for. yeah that is a bit weird.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
How about you just go back to Core Group first and state that you never requested or authorised such a repair, so you're disputing the validity of the invoice. Save the 'going nuclear' option until you have more evidence of wrongdoing.