MacBook Pro - oleophobic coating coming off

krycor

Honorary Master
Curious about turn around time as we have about 2x work machines that should be done..

goslowjoe

Dropped off my mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro to have the screen replaced on 30 July and had no issues. But at the same time I asked them to look at the battery, swelling up after only 201 cycles. Yikes, six grand to replace the battery as well as the top casing. But this unit is my daily driver and it simply has to work wherever it travels with me.

Will post the turnaround time once I get back the unit.
Update: Received my MacBook Pro yesterday, 19 August. I was not in much of a hurry but Core also indicated they were waiting for parts after I booked it in. It turns out that with a battery replacement some other component is replaced as well. Unit feels brand new and not having to look at the marks on the screen is a bonus.

Ajbadenhorst

Hello guys, I need to take in my mid 2014 15 as well, as stain gate had started showing up after three years in the middle of my display.

How is the replacement screens holding up? Did any of you guys had to re-replace your screen (is that even possible?)

And then lastly what can one do to minimise staingate in the future? I've been think of just getting rid of the coating in the future, but doesn't that make everything reflect awfully from the display when you're anywhere there is light?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Hello guys, I need to take in my mid 2014 15 as well, as stain gate had started showing up after three years in the middle of my display.

How is the replacement screens holding up? Did any of you guys had to re-replace your screen (is that even possible?)

And then lastly what can one do to minimise staingate in the future? I've been think of just getting rid of the coating in the future, but doesn't that make everything reflect awfully from the display when you're anywhere there is light?
I did. The first one got a bit marred so I took it in and they replaced it without question. Truth be told I think it was more something I did, rather than proper staingate.

How would you safely remove the coating without damaging your screen even more?

goslowjoe

After what happened the first time, I am now super sensitive - I cannot afford to have it happen again. I now make sure that no fingers or anything will go near the screen. No cleaning cloth except the little black one that came with the Mac. Like bwana said, maybe there was something I did that could have contributed but I don't think I started it. But after a Windows-based notebook that I had no problems with the screen for six years, getting a problem on the Mac within 18 months was a slight disappointment. But now, and especially after the Mojave update, this is simply an awesome screen to look at and a pleasure to work with.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I place a sheet of A4 over the keys when I carry it in my bag now - they were the biggest culprit for my screens.

airborne

Executive Member
The damage was probably from oils(skin, food etc) that sat on the coating and reacted with it. Regular wiping it down with a damp(completely squeezed out) microfiber cloth is all that's needed.

leachieboy

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to make sure everyone knew about this but apple never announced that they fixed these displays at no cost but if anyone has a 2014 or newer MacBook with an issue where the antireflective coating is coming off (Just google staingate and you will know if its the issue) Apple is still covering these units under this plan. I booked mine in last week 5 business days later they had replaced the entire top cover at no cost.

If anyone is experiencing this issue I'd strongly advise taking you macs in ASAP before they stop the cover for them.

Inn3rs3lf

Expert Member
What iStore did you take yours to? Did they give you any grief? I have the issue, but seriously weary as it is my only access to emails and formulas that I use for my company.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What iStore did you take yours to? Did they give you any grief? I have the issue, but seriously weary as it is my only access to emails and formulas that I use for my company.
It's worth getting it done, but you'll be without your machine for a week or so.

Inn3rs3lf

Expert Member
It's worth getting it done, but you'll be without your machine for a week or so.
Do they require any sort of receipts that you know of? I have a 2015 Pro, but no proof of purchase.

Fury05

Expert Member
Thread necro, sorry.

Does anyone know if this program is still running. I think this issue is starting to develop on my macbook pro. Bought it from an ex colleague a while back (early 2015 model). The stains are minor for now but it is clearly going to get worse. Do I just show up at the istore with the Macbook?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Thread necro, sorry.

Does anyone know if this program is still running. I think this issue is starting to develop on my macbook pro. Bought it from an ex colleague a while back (early 2015 model). The stains are minor for now but it is clearly going to get worse. Do I just show up at the istore with the Macbook?
It's four years from date of purchase.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Probably - have you checked when the device was first purchased?

Fury05

Expert Member
Probably - have you checked when the device was first purchased?
How would I do that? The colleague I bought it from no longer works with me and I don't have a contact number. I have the box, but no actual receipt. The serial number seems to show a manufactured date of 01-09-2017.

shanezn

Expert Member
How would I do that? The colleague I bought it from no longer works with me and I don't have a contact number. I have the box, but no actual receipt. The serial number seems to show a manufactured date of 01-09-2017.
Take it in to an iStore. They will verify it for you.

Fury05

Expert Member
Take it in to an iStore. They will verify it for you.
I did this yesterday. They refuse to do anything without a receipt. I tried explaining that I bought it from someone but they were not even remotely interested.