MacBook Pro - oleophobic coating coming off

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I place a sheet of A4 over the keys when I carry it in my bag now - they were the biggest culprit for my screens.
Funny that I always used to put a big spectacles cleaner cloth in mine purely to keep the grime from the keyboard off the screen, so this probably would never have happened to me anyway.

shanezn

Expert Member
I did this yesterday. They refuse to do anything without a receipt. I tried explaining that I bought it from someone but they were not even remotely interested.
Try another branch. I never had to produce a receipt. I bought my 2015 MBP from a mate at work that was leaving the country. Screen issue started months after the fact. Took in to iStore at Pavilion Durban and they checked via the serial number that it was eligible for the repair. If all else fails, there's a massive group on Facebook that have resorted to using everything from baby wipes to Listerine mouth wash to completely remove the coating and they've achieved great success. The screen will have a helluva lot more glare (due to there being no AR coating) but at least it won't look terrible.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
I did this yesterday. They refuse to do anything without a receipt. I tried explaining that I bought it from someone but they were not even remotely interested.
This is BS on their part.

I took a friends one in and they asked no questions.
They ran the SN and proceeded to book it in.

airborne

Executive Member
Try another branch. I never had to produce a receipt. I bought my 2015 MBP from a mate at work that was leaving the country. Screen issue started months after the fact. Took in to iStore at Pavilion Durban and they checked via the serial number that it was eligible for the repair. If all else fails, there's a massive group on Facebook that have resorted to using everything from baby wipes to Listerine mouth wash to completely remove the coating and they've achieved great success. The screen will have a helluva lot more glare (due to there being no AR coating) but at least it won't look terrible.

Me 3, you can also phone Core and ask them.

airborne

Executive Member

Me 3, you can also phone Core and ask them.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I wouldn't know where to look for my receipt and I've had mine fixed twice.

Fury05

Expert Member
Update: I booked a session with the technical side and the tech guy already knew what the problem was as soon as I mentioned the screen. So he checked the serial number and booked it in. Seems like you need to find the right person in the PE store before you can get help,

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Update: I booked a session with the technical side and the tech guy already knew what the problem was as soon as I mentioned the screen. So he checked the serial number and booked it in. Seems like you need to find the right person in the PE store before you can get help,
They've never given me any problems, but glad you're sorted.

Now you get to wait.

Fury05

Expert Member
They've never given me any problems, but glad you're sorted.

Now you get to wait.
Maybe just my bad luck. I got an email today to say it's at the service center so hopefully before the end of the week I'll have it back.