Matric Results 2016

Mila

Honorary Master
It was in the news last week how many subjects will be marked up.

So its "cooked" results again.

Most people failed the ANC just adjust things lower to make everybody look worse.

All those illiterates are in the job market now.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Why is everyone smiling in that pic?
School isn't what it was when I collected my marks lol. Maybe my kids are actually just brighter than I ever was.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master

Most people failed the ANC just adjust things lower to make everybody look worse.

What I want to know is - have everyone's marks been adjusted upwards including those who got 99 and 100%?

Mila

Honorary Master
What I want to know is - have everyone's marks been adjusted upwards including those who got 99 and 100%?

no. If I understand it correctly they adjust those down? So they take from one student and give to a lazy ass.

Either way no. They just adjust upwards the people that failed. Makes their stats look better.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master

They typically force a bell curve distribution on the results, because that is what a healthy set of results should look like.

F-knows why they think magically making it so on paper yields anything except phony metrics that aren't good for anyone.

That aside, forcing the bell curve typically means adjusting the most prevalent/majority score up to a point where it looks ok e.g. if 80% of the scholars have a true 30% average they'd be adjusted to around 50%. Everyone else is adjusted proportionately upwards to the point where your score fits the curve. Haven't seen people ever adjust scores downwards, only upwards, top scorers typically just won't get any boost in score.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
no. If I understand it correctly they adjust those down? So they take from one student and give to a lazy ass.

Either way no. They just adjust upwards the people that failed. Makes their stats look better.

Anything to back this up?

Utterly Confused

Yip! The future doctors and airplane pilots of South Africa. The mind boggles. :mad:

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
looking for the link.

But Look at the post ontop of this.

I had heard this about Maths.
I heard someone say something hairbrained on the news the other day - suggesting that Maths Literacy has become as hard as maths was. I think what they were attempting to say was that pupils are finding maths literacy as hard as they used to find maths in the past.

Mila

Honorary Master
I had heard this about Maths.
I heard someone say something hairbrained on the news the other day - suggesting that Maths Literacy has become as hard as maths was. I think what they were attempting to say was that pupils are finding maths literacy as hard as they used to find maths in the past.

Seems like there are subjects that are maked down.

The department decide the paper was too difficult then they mark it up to compensate and the other way around as well.

I know that if you feel like you did better than your mark you ask for a remark. And almost always it goes up with 10-20%. I think the question is : do they just do it because they are lazy or do they acctually have people marking it. The teachers I know say they acctually remark and learners get better marks because the mark was lowered.

Last edited:

RVQ

Expert Member
Yip! The future doctors and airplane pilots of South Africa. The mind boggles. :mad:

Sad reality is even if these kids get into university they won't cut it and just end up dropping out with a heaving loans under their names. Companies looking to hire or hand out bursaries will probably set the bar at 80-90% minimum scores just to make it into the huge pile...

The ZANC isn't helping these kids by pushing them through but then again the ZANC already failed them by failing to provide them with a decent education in the first place...