Medical aid

Akasha

Executive Member
I'm not sure if the same kind of situation has been posted before, so I'm just gonna post about mine.

I need medical aid. I'm 21, smoker, slightly overweight, no children, no dependents.

I earn almost 4k a month so I'm looking for something that's not gonna be R600-R900 a month.

One last thing, I'm like 80% certain a spider bit me so I'd like to go to a doctor without having to pay him before I die.

Any advice about medical aid stuffs would be much appreciated!

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
At R600-R900 you aren't going to get a medical aid with day to day benefits so you might as well just go to the doctor and get it over with.

You are firmly in hospital plan territory and considering your financial situation an insurance policy sounds like a better idea.

Akasha

Executive Member
I need the hospital plan and doctor visits. Discovery wants me to pay only R1617... without even knowing all my stuff. So that's a nope

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
I need the hospital plan and doctor visits. Discovery wants me to pay only R1617... without even knowing all my stuff. So that's a nope

That is a medical aid... your details have no bearing on your contribution per month. Everybody pays the same regardless of age or health condition.

Pitbull

Verboten
You're 21 :D

Have a hospital plan for emergencies only. Why pay R 1000's just to be able to see a Dr or get medication. You can do that still and pay for it about 4 times a year and still save more than you would have paid for Medical aid.

Akasha

Executive Member
Thanks guys! Gotta sort out with HR first if they're keeping me or letting me go after the 3 months probation... which I still haven't signed anything for..

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
oops i see you dont want something so exp

then sadly i doubt you can get medical aid

Zakaria.k

Some of the medial aid scheme offer plans whereby you pay based on your salary, but you have to use their network. I think Discovery's one is called KeyCare or Key something. A few years ago when I was your age and earing a salary similar to your I was on Liberty's offering which cost me a few hundred Rand a month. It did its job for the few year that I was on it. My doctor was part of their network so they paid for that, they paid for most of my glasses (I had to pay for the tint) but I never needed to use the hospital benefit.

Tman*

Expert Member
+1 For Keycare.

With your current salary you will fall into the lowest bracket, meaning your premium will be the lowest they offer.

Plus they offer unlimited doctor visits within your network, PLUS basic dental & optometry benefits.

Lastly, if you want to join the gym in the future, you can also get Vitality with Keycare, thus saving 80% on Gym fees

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master

Have a hospital plan for emergencies only. Why pay R 1000's just to be able to see a Dr or get medication. You can do that still and pay for it about 4 times a year and still save more than you would have paid for Medical aid.

Sage advice.

Put aside R100 a month for doctors. Sometimes a doc will prescribe drugs - other times a few brandys will sort the problem.

The cost is that emergency hospital vist.

Garson007

Honorary Master
Eh? You fall comfortably into keycare territory. Access will cost you R538 a month.

Akasha

Executive Member
Thanks for the advice all. Will look at KeyCare once I find out if I'll still earn a salary next month or not :p

proxilin

One last thing, I'm like 80% certain a spider bit me so I'd like to go to a doctor without having to pay him before I die.

Medical aids usually have waiting periods when you join if you haven't been a member of a medical aid previously, usually 3 months, UNLESS you join via a company's medical aid (e.g. if you join Discovery through them). But if you join on your own accord the 3 months is likely to apply. During the waiting period the medical aid will only cover you in an emergency I think. So it's no use joining now to go to the doctor now, so make sure.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

I've found that in most cases the price difference between a hospital plan and medical aid is the MSA you pay which is virtually the same as paying for those visits yourself.

You aren't really better or worse off, but with MSA you at least don't get surprises.