Mesh Networks Worth it?

InternetSwag

Expert Member
I don't have a big house, but I can't get signal in my bedroom. Router is in my pc room. I've had no luck with range extenders tbh and I linked 2x to my router they just so inconsistent.

But I'm wondering if a mesh Networks overkill for my needs?

Aren't they for like double story houses?

I do have two routers but 1x is a lte router not sure if I can link it to my fiber

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
I got a pair of low end TP Link Decos (E4's I think) that were on special as the coverage in my home office was not good. Works really well. No issues with Teams calls since then

Speedster

Honorary Master
You might want to have a glance through these threads:

InternetSwag

Expert Member
I got a pair of low end TP Link Decos (E4's I think) that were on special as the coverage in my home office was not good. Works really well. No issues with Teams calls since then

What about this? The TP link is 10/100? Does that mean my upload is throttled? If over 10?

InvisibleJim

Expert Member

What about this? The TP link is 10/100? Does that mean my upload is throttled? If over 10?
Only if you plug it into a 10meg Ethernet port. But it will be limited to 100meg if you plug it into a gig port.

Saba'a

Executive Member
I don't have a big house, but I can't get signal in my bedroom. Router is in my pc room. I've had no luck with range extenders tbh and I linked 2x to my router they just so inconsistent.

But I'm wondering if a mesh Networks overkill for my needs?

Aren't they for like double story houses?

I do have two routers but 1x is a lte router not sure if I can link it to my fiber
Why not simply use an Access Point via network cable.

greg0205

Honorary Master

Those E4s have 100mbps ports. No throttling at all, but your internet connection is limited to a 100meg line. If you have a faster internet connection you'd need the M4s which have gigabit ports.

karnuffel

Expert Member
Definitely worth it. I had an Airties mesh network and recently moved over to a TP-Link Deco. Its still early days but so far Im super happy.

check on Amazon, you will find it cheaper :)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Those E4s have 100mbps ports. No throttling at all, but your internet connection is limited to a 100meg line. If you have a faster internet connection you'd need the M4s which have gigabit ports.

Is the WAN port also 100Mb only?

Otherwise this shouldn’t be an issue while wireless.

Erohann

Grabbed Google WiFi
Everything just works. Been down the range extender route and comparatively that was just broken.

If you need an Ethernet out at Mesh unit, go Google WiFi
If you don't need an Ethernet out at Mesh unit, go Nest WiFi (more expensive, newer)
If you are going to be fiddling with port forwarding, DNS stuff, traffic manager, routing stuff and idk what else, do some more research if Google WiFi will cover what you want. It can do some of the above, but its not the same as a browser managed router - it is configured off a smartphone app

_kabal_

Expert Member
Super happy with my Tenda Nova 2-unit mesh. Covers all my house and outside - typical 3 bedroom house built in the 80’s in northern suburbs, not massive, not small.

was also great when I got a desktop and didn’t need to run a cable as I just plugged directly into the unit that is in my office.

tried a router in “AP” mode and it didn’t work great, there was no seemless transition.