Microsoft Edge

lowriderza

Heh?

It’s only been available for a few weeks so I’m not sure how you could be trying it “ every few weeks”.
I edited my post as I was referring to the normal version and not making that clear. Sorry.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I only just discovered accidentally that you can already sync bookmarks between the Chromium version of Edge and the Edge Android app. Ffs this has been the only reason I've stuck with Chrome. :X3:

All you do is go to the settings in the mobile app, select your email address under accounts, select 'Sync to' and then choose the Insider Channels option. After doing that it instantly pulled through all my Chromium Edge bookmarks.

Guess I'm switching full time to Edge then. :cool:

Oh, and for anyone who digs the Google Earth new tab extension (which still works in C.Edge), Edge has its own version built into the browser. In the new tab page settings, choose custom layout with image of the day enabled, most visited sites disabled and the news feed on scroll.

After that, you'll get a random full-screen photograph every time you open a new tab and if you scroll down you get the news. Super nice.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Why fix what ain't broke I say. FF and Chrome do the job perfectly for 99.999% of us.

Unless, that is, you're unique, and very special :cool:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Why fix what ain't broke I say. FF and Chrome do the job perfectly for 99.999% of us.

If you are using MS services you'd rather want Edge than Chrome. Personally I'm thinking of de-Googling myself (although that's a mamoth task).

Arthur

Honorary Master
Personally I'm thinking of de-Googling myself (although that's a mamoth task).
Good luck. It's not gonna be easy.

MTFBWY.

I likewise have to make a momentous mobile migration in the next six months. It's an agonising choice because I strongly dislike both candidates.

Were the useful bits of Android (GMS) not laced with Google's strychnine I'd probably hold my nose and go with Android. But not at the price of my soul.

Which leaves only one other option - a brand and brand-image/persona I really dislike, one I'd be embarrassed to admit using ...

I'm really open to a viable third option, but none is immediately in prospect.

All this is precipitating a major existential crisis. So serious is the dilemma that I'm even considering abandoning smartphones altogether ... and that appeals to a hidden but strong anti-establishment streak...

---

I'll be cutting over entirely to Chredge when I get back to SA next month. Have been impressed by the Dev version.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
The biggest issue for me is changing my Gmail address everywhere to a custom domain one. After that it should be easy enough to switch between Gsuite and Office 365.

That and I need my YouTubes.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Because Chrome is removing the ability to block ads in the future and in their AMA the Edge devs said that would try workaround that to keep ad blockers working.

Also, if you check the list of stuff stripped out by the Edge devs it's insane how much Google collects on Chrome users. I just trust Microsoft much more than Google.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Because Chrome is removing the ability to block ads in the future and in their AMA the Edge devs said that would try workaround that to keep ad blockers working.

Also, if you check the list of stuff stripped out by the Edge devs it's insane how much Google collects on Chrome users. I just trust Microsoft much more than Google.
I've always known MS collects far,far,far,far more than they admit to. Ergo FB and many/most? other ,large corps.

Either you accept it as a hazard of living on the grid in 2019,limit the collateral damage, take adequate precuations wherever possible without driving yourself insane hiding those photos of your ex gf no one cares about..or get the **** off.
Simple.

kolaval

Expert Member
I've been going through a "try a different browser" phase. Been using Chrome ages and thought it's time for something else.
What problem does it solve though?
This would be my basis for switching.
e.f Spotify to google play purely for the family package.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Google IS the biggest source of bloatwware and malware on the Internet! It ruins many a mobile device, forces unnecessary obsolescence with all of this "stuff" you can't remove or uninstall. Google invades personal privacy to the point where they are becoming completely unwanted.

I've always known MS collects far,far,far,far more than they admit to. Ergo FB and many/most? other ,large corps.

Either you accept it as a hazard of living on the grid in 2019,limit the collateral damage, take adequate precuations wherever possible without driving yourself insane hiding those photos of your ex gf no one cares about..or get the **** off.
Simple.

MS is not far behind, but so far appears to be controllable up to a point.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Simple.
I cannot believe that MS isn't much better than Google though. Google gives you everything for free so that they can data-mine the living crap out of you and sell you to advertisers. Microsoft mostly charges me for the services I use, and Bing advertising is hardly the hellbeast that Google's is.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I've always known MS collects far,far,far,far more than they admit to.
Not nearly the same thing and with very different purposes.

Msft collects anonymous performance and system state data to improve the products. It makes 99% of its money by selling software.

Google combs through everything you do, read, store and send precisely so it can build up as comprehensive a personal profile on you as possible, so it can sell that profile to advertisers. Google makes 95% of its money selling advertising.

Personally, I find the former a more honest business model, and the latter rather creepy.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I cannot believe that MS isn't much better than Google though. Google gives you everything for free so that they can data-mine the living crap out of you and sell you to advertisers. Microsoft mostly charges me for the services I use, and Bing advertising is hardly the hellbeast that Google's is.
Facebook does that. Not Google.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Facebook and Google are both cut from the same cloth.

FB is blatantly obvious in their intent. Google is not. It hides behind its so-called offering of "free services and stuff":. It is not free, we are all being enslaved. We are paying for all this free "stuff" by giving up our own personal "freedom and privacy".

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Come on man. Google is an advertising company. $24.1 billion of Google's $27.77 billion revenue for Q3 2018 was from advertising. (From a quick Google: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/020515/business-google.asp )

There is a very good reason almost all their stuff is free to use. They only care about how many eyeballs they can get looking at adverts. And the more info they have about those eyeballs, the more money they can extract from businesses who want targeted marketing.

Facebook is exactly the same, just much less tactful about it.

ponder

Honorary Master
I only have one small issue with chrome edge,

I need this set to google search, I don't think there is a way though. I've changed it to google in the address bar.

2.PNG

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I only have one small issue with chrome edge,

I need this set to google search, I don't think there is a way though. I've changed it to google in the address bar.

View attachment 676951
Yeah you can only change the address bar search. That search you see there is generated with the homepage I believe so can't be changed.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Edge on iOS ships with an Adblock Plus (Settings -> Content Blockers). Was surprised to see it to be honest.