Microsoft Edge

Hamster

Resident Rodent
What problem does it solve though?
This would be my basis for switching.
e.f Spotify to google play purely for the family package.
On OSX the media keys don't work in Firefox which is an issue for me who uses YouTube Music etc.

On mobile FF is a dog. My experience on iOS was laggy, it got stuck every now and again etc.

Versus Chrome: Google vs MS. Doesn't solve anything. Switched because why not?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I only have one small issue with chrome edge,

I need this set to google search, I don't think there is a way though. I've changed it to google in the address bar.

View attachment 676951
You can change the address bar search to Google under settings, privacy and services, address bar.

The only way I found to change the new tab screen is to use something like Bookmsrk Sidebar and set it to show when a new tab is opened.

I always use the address bar though.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

I need this set to google search, I don't think there is a way though. I've changed it to google in the address bar.

View attachment 676951
For now I've left Bing as the default search engine. Going to give it some time and see how it compares. Haven't had any problems thus far, but I also haven't had to research any particular issue or matter yet.

I really like how easy Bing makes jumping to Wikipedia pages. Google can be a pain in the ass sometimes with that.

What problem does it solve though?
This would be my basis for switching.
e.f Spotify to google play purely for the family package.
There's a pretty big benefit to switching from Chrome to C.Edge actually. With Chrome you're fine on desktop, and sync works well, but you're stuck with a mobile browser that does not block ads. And mobile ads are cancer.

With C.Edge you get more or less the same desktop experience with sync that also works well. But the mobile Edge app has built-in AdBlock Plus, so you don't have to deal with cancerous mobile ads.

I like the improvement in privacy, but tbh I'm mostly moving over just so that I can have ads blocked on both desktop and mobile whilst maintaining bookmarks. I'm not going to waste time with VPN ad blockers when I just need it done in my web browsers. YouTube Premium means no ads on YouTube, which would otherwise be the remaining issue.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

View attachment 676951
Check this section in registry and see what entries you have there.
Is the entry as reflected in my pic there or not?
regedit pic.PNG

ponder

Honorary Master
I like the improvement in privacy, but tbh I'm mostly moving over just so that I can have ads blocked on both desktop and mobile whilst maintaining bookmarks.
I use Kiwi on my phone which blocks ads and syncs to google.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I use Kiwi on my phone which blocks ads and syncs to google.
Thefuq. When did that start?! That's why I ditched Kiwi back in the day. Useless with isolated bookmarks.

Edit: I see no such option in the settings. Hopes and dreams crash to the floor.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If you try to modify Registry on the current version with a bat file, this is what will appear in registry".

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Protected - It is a violation of Windows Policy to modify. See aka.ms/browserpolicy
Not sure if that is what will happen in the Chromium version.

So you have to do it in a round about way.

Not much risk to it because all you need to do is make sure you know what to delete if it does not work.

Then you can add the parameter that allows you to get rid of bing on new tabs. and allow search engine changes as well if you want.

"AllowSearchEngineCustomization"=-
"AllowWebContentOnNewTabPage"=-
Both Dwords have to be as per the pic I posted earlier.

Note Disclaimer: You do this at your own risk. No guarantees it will work and be careful.

ponder

Honorary Master
That search you see there is generated with the homepage I believe so can't be changed.
It's the new tab page, you can set the home button to any site you want but it requires you to click on the icon.
Thefuq. When did that start?! That's why I ditched Kiwi back in the day. Useless with isolated bookmarks.

Edit: I see no such option in the settings. Hopes and dreams crash to the floor.
Ignore my post, i'm very confused.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It's the new tab page, you can set the home button to any site you want but it requires you to click on the icon.

Ignore my post, i'm very confused.
Yeah but you can’t change the new tab page.

So you need to press home every time then to surpass the behaviour.

_kabal_

Expert Member
On OSX the media keys don't work in Firefox which is an issue for me who uses YouTube Music etc.

On mobile FF is a dog. My experience on iOS was laggy, it got stuck every now and again etc.

Versus Chrome: Google vs MS. Doesn't solve anything. Switched because why not?
How do you find using non-safari on iOS?
I tried chrome a while back and it just wasn’t well “intergrated”
Are all browsers on iOS still just wrappers around safari?

I have been using Crystal + Safari and it is a great ad blocking experience that just works. Zero YouTube ads too (if you do YouTube in the browser and not the app, which i find horrible anyway)

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Yeah but you can’t change the new tab page.

So you need to press home every time then to surpass the behaviour.
Not following? If you switch it in you get the Bookmark Sidebar speed dial on the new tab page.

EDIT: Hold on a sec. I disabled it after a day because I prefer the regular new tab page, but IIRC you have to override it via the plug-in and not through the browser settings.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Come on man. Google is an advertising company. $24.1 billion of Google's $27.77 billion revenue for Q3 2018 was from advertising. (From a quick Google: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/020515/business-google.asp )

There is a very good reason almost all their stuff is free to use. They only care about how many eyeballs they can get looking at adverts. And the more info they have about those eyeballs, the more money they can extract from businesses who want targeted marketing.

Facebook is exactly the same, just much less tactful about it.
Not at all. Facebook actively sells your data. Google Home doesn't record your interactions whereas Alexa still does etc. I'm paying for Google services anyway like Youtube Premuim and I'll pay for Google One as well when it makes Gmail ad free (I've put in a request for them) since Outlook spam filters is still a joke and the interface sucks.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Edge updated today for me and thank god, the folder icons are no longer monochrome. Was too difficult to distinguish between folders and bookmarks before.

Now I just want the sharp edges of the regular Edge and that silky smooth scrolling.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Netflix still doesn't work for me. I only get a black screen with sound. Enabled Widevine and PlayReady without success.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Edge updated today for me and thank god, the folder icons are no longer monochrome. Was too difficult to distinguish between folders and bookmarks before.
Aaah yes, that is much better now.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Netflix still doesn't work for me. I only get a black screen with sound. Enabled Widevine and PlayReady without success.
Weird, just tried COnfession Tapes S2 and worked first time.

And I'm pretty much fully vanilla.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I gave it a proper go, but I can't keep using Bing. Google results are vastly more accurate, especially when using longer queries.

More than a few times I'd suddenly remember to try Google after struggling with Bing, which had me fruitlessly banning words from the results like -operating -system -windows -dog etc. to try improve the results. And each time Google would nail the answer I was looking for with just the original query.

After 3 weeks of almost exclusively using Bing, I am of the firm opinion that Microsoft has a massive amount of catching up to do. Google is on a different level I'm afraid.