Mini SUV under 300k

superskully

Expert Member
Dear knowledgeable MyBB folk.
We have been looking at a nice family car, does not have to be spacious, but must be Safe and Reliable (under 300k).
My wife seems to be set on the new Vitara or 2nd hand B-class.
My worry is on the reliability and resale of Suzuki - will Suzuki be around for the next 10 years?

Other options were HRV, Ecosport - but to me Vitara trumps both of them.
Trying to also find demo CX-5, Qashqai - but difficult.

We initially wanted a demo Honda Ballade, but the build was shoddy.

ozziej

Have you thought about the Opel Mokka? 1.4T engine.
There is also the Nissan Qashqai, 1.2T for under R300k
Renault Duster?

superskully

Expert Member
Renault Duster?
Hi, sorry forgot to mention it must be Auto - that pushes the price up.
Bad experience with french, but will check on the Opel, thanks.

MIA7171

Suzuki was SA’s second fastest-growing car brand last year, and its national dealer network has been steadily expanding. So it should still be around in 10 years.
For mini light suv crossover, I would go for Mazda CX-3 or if you need space go for Honda HRV. Other options such as Citroen C4 Cactus or Suzuki Vitara.
For compact suv you could get a new Mazda CX-5 for R 309 900 at certain Mazda dealerships or a 2014 Honda CRV Demo around R280 000. Nissan Qashqai Demos are available under R 300 000 but they are all manual, Auto are more expensive.

Ry4n

Renault Duster?
Who in their right mind would buy a Duster?

Ugly, Renault, Name, reliability, price all suck.

neoprema

Expert Member
Not sure if the Ford EcoSport comes in Auto? or might be too small for you.

As for Ry4n's comment - are you speaking from experience? I just ask because in my lifetime I've had 10 Renault vehicles right the way to new ones and never had a single one breakdown on me, and usually cost less to repair once out of maintenance than my friend's VW's and the like.

The Nissan-Renault alliance is No 6 in the global Top 10 in sales figures, and Nissan is in the top 10 respected brands (globally).

So lets rather call it what it is - some people have good experiences with some cars, and others don't. Thats why each person makes his/her own choice and thats why we have so many car companies out there. :)

Ry4n

As for Ry4n's comment - are you speaking from experience? I just ask because in my lifetime I've had 10 Renault vehicles right the way to new ones and never had a single one breakdown on me, and usually cost less to repair once out of maintenance than my friend's VW's and the like.

The Nissan-Renault alliance is No 6 in the global Top 10 in sales figures, and Nissan is in the top 10 respected brands (globally).

So lets rather call it what it is - some people have good experiences with some cars, and others don't. Thats why each person makes his/her own choice and thats why we have so many car companies out there. :)
Yes I am! :( and know well over 20 people with the same or similar experience plus Renault are a client of ours and I've heard stories from Renault sales guys no less. In fact my mates Renault broke down right outside our gate when Renault were having a show at our office, was pretty funny watching these sales guys trying to fix a Renault - we had to call a flat bed.

Last edited:

4ftersh0ck

Agreed. Wow Mazda makes some seriously good looking cars. Even the 3 and the CX5 are stunners too. And the quality on these vehicles is great too. Definitely want to get a Mazda for my next car.

superskully

Expert Member
Suzuki was SA’s second fastest-growing car brand last year, and its national dealer network has been steadily expanding. So it should still be around in 10 years.
For mini light suv crossover, I would go for Mazda CX-3 or if you need space go for Honda HRV. Other options such as Citroen C4 Cactus or Suzuki Vitara.
For compact suv you could get a new Mazda CX-5 for R 309 900 at certain Mazda dealerships or a 2014 Honda CRV Demo around R280 000. Nissan Qashqai Demos are available under R 300 000 but they are all manual, Auto are more expensive.
Interesting to note, did not Suzuki is growing so fast.

New Mazda CX3 is gorgeous.
Agreed. Wow Mazda makes some seriously good looking cars. Even the 3 and the CX5 are stunners too. And the quality on these vehicles is great too. Definitely want to get a Mazda for my next car.
Yes, did have a Renault, was stranded 13 times in 3 years.

The CX3 has one issue - it has 4 star safety rating, Honda CRV also not so safe (maybe too big windows).
I agree though, Mazda is stunning.