Modem/router combo VS modem + router home network

sdub

Hi
I am looking to improve my home network, I am using a telkom supplied D-link adsl-2750u . I use it to connect my smart tv, xbox , 2 laptops and 3 cellphones to the internet and home network.

So do i buy a 'future proof' modem/router combo or a 'future proof' router and stick with my old modem for now?

I am weighing up the : Asus DSL0-AC52U dual band 802.11ac wifi ADSL/VDSL modem/router
and the: Asus AC1200 Dual Band wifi router
This options are not set in stone but looks good and fit my budget (<R2000)

Extra info: I have a 4Mbps line (best/fast option for my town)

Any help is welcome

thanks.

RoganDawes

Expert Member
Best option is to get a decent "WAN" router (i.e. ethernet WAN port) and a standalone DSL modem, if you want to be future proof.

e.g. something like a DLink 2500U (if you can still get them) + whatever router you want. dlink in bridge mode, then the WAN router establishes PPPoE, the dlink is effectively invisible. (Only downside is trying to monitor the ADSL line stats, if your WAN router cannot allow direct access to the dlink)

Personally, I'm going with a simple WAN router running OpenWRT, with the wireless stuff disabled, talking to the fibre CPE. I have a separate Unifi providing wifi throughout the house.

w!shfulth!nk!ng

So do i buy a 'future proof' modem/router combo or a 'future proof' router and stick with my old modem for now?

I am weighing up the : Asus DSL0-AC52U dual band 802.11ac wifi ADSL/VDSL modem/router
and the: Asus AC1200 Dual Band wifi router
This options are not set in stone but looks good and fit my budget (<R2000)
Having (in the past) used a D-Link 2500u (they're unavailable now, but there's the odd retailer that keeps similar wired modem/router options around R250) with a TP-Link router, I prefer an all-in-one setup - only one interface to need to log into and setup.

If you're set on wanting dual-band, then this should be as good an option as those ASUS ones :

TP-LINK Archer VR400 AC1200 Wireless VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
https://shop.dbg.co.za/td-wacvr400.html

Product Code: TD-WACVR400
Brand: TP-LINK
R1,339.00 Excl VAT / R1,526.46 incl VAT
If all you're looking for is single-band (2.4GHz), then you can do much better price-wise with this :

TP-LINK W9970 300Mbps Wireless N VDSL2/ADSL2+
https://shop.dbg.co.za/td-w9970.html
R799.00 Excl VAT
R910.86 incl VAT
Haven't used either, but maybe others on the forum can recommend them from personal use.
Also, for having registered on this forum, they should give you a discount when purchasing from them - just include your username when ordering.

stroebs

Expert Member
The primary reason to split the functionality is because the majority of devices are either good WAN Routers with Wired LAN and Wireless capability OR they're good modems with good Wired LAN functionality. A device that performs modem, WAN, Wired LAN and Wireless LAN all-in-one are generally underpowered and prone to overheating/performance issues. That is, of course, unless you spend a decent whack on an all-in-one.

Personally, I split it even further. Modem is one device, WAN and wired LAN is another device, Wireless LAN is a separate access point.

Modem: Telkom/Openserve GPON CPE (Would be a DSL modem in your case)
Router: MikroTik CCR1009 (Overkill I know, but any device with wireless disabled would do the trick)
Wireless: UniFi AP-AC-Pro

Easily able to achieve 100Mbps Speedtest on Wired & Wireless with the above combo.