More on SA cell towers

jcheek

Expert Member
Herewith some close up shots of an 8ta site I found in one of my libraries. Not sure where or when they were taken though. Should be interesting to hear what's what hehe!

9OsEuUZ.jpg

Nice pics, Fluffyct - thanks for sharing !

Any idea what was in the pink bags - spares ? Nuts, bolts, fuses, connectors ?

Also interesting is those two Clearline Ethernet surge protection units that are only connected on one side (top right, cable-tied to the grille of 1U ventilation rack module). Wonder if that's to plug in something external (like a laptop) ?

Fluffyct

Nice pics, Fluffyct - thanks for sharing !

Any idea what was in the pink bags - spares ? Nuts, bolts, fuses, connectors ?

Also interesting is those two Clearline Ethernet surge protection units that are only connected on one side (top right, cable-tied to the grille of 1U ventilation rack module). Wonder if that's to plug in something external (like a laptop) ?

Pleasure... I think the bags were pink to keep with TM's (then) pink colour scheme for 8ta... no clue whats in them tho

bertvz

Identifying cell towers

I used the OpenSignal app to find cell towers in my area. Are these same towers used for Internet signal? I want to find out which ones are used by Neotel (CDMA) for Internet signals. Is this at all possible? The app gives the CID and LAC for each tower. I have very bad internet reception. I have an external aerial and want to try and improve signal by changing direction. Is this at all feasible? Any advise will be appreciated.

cavedog

Honorary Master
MTN parked this tower inside the Richards Bay Ski Boat club for the new years celebration. Outside these walls were 160 000 beach goers and the tower was still able to push 60Mbps download on LTE and 12Mbps on 3G.....

MTN had the whole beach area covered with epic coverage and when we phone midnight new years not a single call was dropped and it worked flawless.

Pretty epic well done MTN. The tower ran on a generator 24/7 they just came and refueled it and off they went again.

IMG_20170102_102320.jpg

IMG_20170102_102326.jpg

IMG_20170102_102529.jpg

Azimuth

Expert Member
Great post, cavedog, thanks! I know that area all too well. I'd imagine that coverage would be limited to the ski-boat club area, the beach parking lot (which is massive) and perhaps the beach on the ski-boat club side. Coverage would drop off by the old super tubes and would never reach the swimming beaches.

These types of "pop up" base stations are very popular in the U.S. It's nice to see our local service providers going the extra mile like this - because nothing is really forcing them to do so.

More abp

UPGRADING FROM 2G/3G FOR TELKOM BASE STATIONS TO LTE
LTE stands for long term evolution

To increase Broadband capacity
To increase processing speed to get the fastest Internet with the network.

Basic Theoretical background

BBU
Telkom base stations is mainly using BBU3900 or BBU3910.BBU stands for Base Band Unit.Base band unit refers to original signal or unmodulated signals that is signals which occupy the lowest range of frequency. BBU processes these signals of original frequency before it is modulated(modulation is the addition of information to an electronic or optical carrier signal while carrier signal is the one with a steady waveform with constant height pitch and frequency.)
In Base band unit ifrequency is not shifted to some other frequency band by means of modulation.
BBU have DSP (digital signal processor) that processed the conversion between analog and digital signals.It is known as the heart of communication because it serves for communication link between two ends.
BBU along with RRU( Radio Remote Unit) formed as BTS.BTS stands for Base Transceiver station .In short RRU process the incoming radio signals and sends signals,receives signals from the antenna EM waves through hollow guided jumpers.
BBu is connected with RRU Thru CPRI(Common Public Radio fibre cable for making BTS.

FUNCTIONS OF BBU
provide common public radio interface CPRI ports or optical link for communication with RRU and process uplink and downlink baseband signals.
provides S1 Ports for communication between E -UTRAN node B( enodeB and an MME/S-GW and X2 port for communication between enodes Bs
Provides clock ports fort clock synchronisation, alarm monitoring, port for environment monitoring and universal serial BUS (USB) ports for commissioning using USB flash drives
Manages the eNode B through the operation and Maintainance and signal message processing.

BBU consist of the following ,FAN,LBBP,UMPT,LIPEU and other empty slots where necessary additional control cards can be slotted for needed operation a brief description of each is given below:

FAN
The fan dissipates heat from BBU 3900.It monitors the inlet temperatures and controls the rotation speed of the fans and report the status of fans to the LMPT or UMPT in BBU 3900

LBBP
This stands for LTE Base band Processing unit.Huawei 3900 series have 3 different LBBP:LBBPa,LBBPb,LBBPc,but in Huawei 3910 LBBP is termed UBBP.LBBP &UBBP main difference is that LBBP is for LTE or 4G Communication while UBBP is for 2 G and 3 G communication. UBBP also have 3 types 1 to 3
Both LBBP and UBBP functions to: (1) Provide CPRI port for communication with Radio Frequencies(R.F modules).
(2)Processes uplink and downlink baseband signals.

UMPT
UMPT stands for universal main procession and transmission unit and its functions are as follows:
1.Mainly performs OM functions including configuration,management equipment, management performance, monitoring, signal processing and active standby switchover.
2.Provides clock reference,transmission ports and maintenance link connecting to OMC.The OMC can be LMT(local maintenance terminal) or M2000 client.

TYPES OF UMPT
All UMPT have the same appearance on the upper left of the UMPT panel there is a silkseree UMPT and on the lower left of UMPT panel there is a label indicating type of UMPT Board. The Base station need is supported by I.P sec and PKI.
When the site is configured with UMPT a2 and a NodeB needs to be added at the site,the existing UMPT a2 can be used as the Main control board of Newly added node B.
If the site requires a GPS reference clock a USCU is prefentially configured.
When a site is configured with UMPT a1 and LTE FDD base station need to be added at the site, the existing UMPT a1 can be used as the main control board of newly added LTE.
When base station need to be converted to support multiple nodes including LTE TDD a UMPT2 must be configured.
When each mode in multimode base station needs to meet preceeding requirements for GSM,UMTS,LTE, FDD,LTE TDD a UMPTb1 is required.
How to determine the working mode of UMPT indicators R0, R1,R2 on the UMPT panel are used to determine working mode of the UMPT board.
UMPT has a CI port which does not exist on other main control board used to achieve BBU interconnection through UCIU plus UMPT in The other BBU.
UMPT is connected to a computer to implement local BBU maintenance, the USB port on UMPT is used for connecting UMPT to a computer .To connect UMPT to a computer you do as follows: connect the USB connection at one end of USB to Ethernet cable to the USB port on the UMPT and connect at the other end of cable to the computer.
UMPT cannot be used as a spare to replace WMPT or LMPT.If LMPT or WMPT need to be replaced by UMPT software configuration need to be modified after the hardware replacement is complete. Interim of hard core operations of replacing WMPT with UMPT are the same as those of replacing WMPT with s new WMPT
UPEU
Stands for Universal power and environment interphase unit and its functions are:
1.converts power of - 48volts input into +12volts with 300watts and 650watts power needed for BBU operation and processing.
2.It takes EMUB signals through RS485 serial communication and convert Bolean signals. Thus act as an interphase unit for BBU and EMUB.EMUB is environment monitoring unit for sensors alarm.

BBU consist of GPS sensors which track BBU installed location and if BBU is stollen the GPS coordinates is traced and send back to the Telecom operator control room.

They are many BBU models manufactured by various telecom companies and top 5 are: Erickson, Alcatel-lucent,HuaweiTechnologies,Cisco systems, and ZTE corporation. These vendors have their own type BBU models though The basic knowledge is the same.The difference is that their power efficiency and processing as well as working speed.

RRUs
Stand for Remote Radio Unit

FUNCTIONS OF RRUs
Perform data processing, modulation, combination, and division of R.f signals sent to the antenna.
Receives R.f signals from the antenna and perform demodulation as well as amplification of A/D conversions,filtering the signals and sending the signals to BBU for further processing.
Process the Baseband signal for processing for GSM
Controls power
Provides detection voltage standing wave ratio(VSWR)
Provides power for tower mounted amplifiers (TMA) and control signals for RET antenna.
Generates CPRI clock signal and regenerates CPRI signals in The event of loss of synchronisation and perform detection alarm.
RRUs are amounted near Antenna which reduces Attenuation over feeder.Mounting RRU near antenna also improves BTS performance connection between RRU and BBU is done with fibre optical cable. For proper work on RRU need to be powdered by 48 volt D.c voltaLTE

cavedog

Honorary Master
Maybe someone shed some light. Is it possible for 2 networks to share the same sector antennas.

Vodacom installed the tower and has a tower mounted amplifiers or whatever you call them behind each sector antenna.

Tower up and running. So basically MTN comes and joins the party. Now Rain is on the tower too but it looks like they just installed the tower mounted amplifiers because it looks like they running to the same sector antennas because the initial setup did not have them. They have 6 mounted around sector antennas.... :confused:

Will add a pic a bit later.

dotcat

If each antenna has 3 pairs of connections then it should potentially be able to take 3 frequencies from 3 different providers?

dotcat

If each antenna has 3 pairs of connections then it should potentially be able to take 3 frequencies from 3 different providers?

Or can 1 array not broadcast up to 4 different networks. So Vodacom may be broadcasting Rain or vice versa.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Well here is the pic. The black circled ones are the original ones installed by Vodacom/Huawei when the tower was put up first. MTN added the second sector panels and now Rain has made that adjustments.

Looks like 6 tower mounted amplifiers if that the correct word for them. 2 of them are wired to the same sector panel and they weren't before when it was only Vodacom on the tower.

I know it's Rain because the box at the base of the tower has a GPS pole sticking out of it for TDD LTE timing

20180101_133740.jpg

20180101_133818(0).jpg

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Unrelated to the above post of mine. Just a picture of MTN and Vodacom temporary towers installed at the beach in Richards Bay. Both LTE towers speeds peaking at +- 40Mbps down and 25Mbps upload.

MTN:

mtn_mobile_tower.png

Vodacom:

vodacom_mobile_tower.png

dotcat

Here are some pics of the new Telkom tower in Ramsgate KZN. Still needs the cabling run to the antenna.

IMG_20180204_142534.jpg
IMG_20180204_142541.jpg
IMG_20180204_142619.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Beer

Executive Member
This thing made a sudden appearance behind the local shopping centre last week. No branding or anything. I'm guessing it's a cell tower? The things is huge.

tower.jpg

Stevewarren

is it possible to have two cell id's from the same tower? i bounce around two different cell ids and one has better latency than the other. I ask because its unlikely the have two towers where I am.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
is it possible to have two cell id's from the same tower? i bounce around two different cell ids and one has better latency than the other. I ask because its unlikely the have two towers where I am.
Yes, a tower usually serves multiple cells. Most South African network operators use the first digits of the Cell ID to identify the tower, and then the last digit to identify the cell on that tower.

e.g. 12340, 12341 and 12342 would be three different cells, all mounted on tower 1234.