Movie Mini-Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Holmes (2015) 8/10

Sherlock Holmes in retirement and losing his faculties, fights against his losing memory to solve an old case. Great performances all round, especially from the boy playing his housekeepers son. I really enjoyed this.
 
Bridge of Spies (2015) 8.5/10

My kind of movie. A cold war thriller based on fact with Tom Hanks in fantastic form as the lawyer brokering a spy swap deal. Lots of ups and downs and a host of great sets make this unmissable.
 
Star Wars: Force Awakens 7.5/10
Not a huge fan of the previous movies but I really enjoyed this. The 3d was subtle and effective, the story moved along at a good pace, cool battle scenes.
Good fun.

Reminds me...I didn't post a score or impression. 7.5 is fair given the script was written almost 40 years ago :p

It was alot of fun even if a reboot...JJ Abrams knew exactly what the fans wanted. Also enjoyed the 3D more than usual...proper use of depth of field that usually bugs me about other movies I suffer through 3D versions of.

It was a lot less young child-oriented than the previous movies which for me is a huge deal...I watched the previous movies over the last few weeks to prep and honestly, it was a bit of a chore.
 
How does the new Point Break compare? Keen to check it out but not sure if it's worth the price or if I should wait...
 
The Martian - 8/10

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it, never got bored.
 
Sicario 6.5/10. Was a brilliant, compelling original drama right until the last half hour when they chucked it all away and decided they wanted to become.... Well let's just say another kind of movie altogether.
 
Solace 2015 (have not seen, this is not a review)

"A former doctor with psychic abilities is drawn into a serial killer case only to find that the killer also is a psychic, leading to a showdown between the two who can detect each others every move."

Garbage, right?

Cast -
Anthony Hopkins
Colin Farrell
Abigail Cornish
Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Wtf?
 
Solace 2015 (have not seen, this is not a review)

"A former doctor with psychic abilities is drawn into a serial killer case only to find that the killer also is a psychic, leading to a showdown between the two who can detect each others every move."

Garbage, right?

Cast -
Anthony Hopkins
Colin Farrell
Abigail Cornish
Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Wtf?

watched last nigh, worth a squirt

a 6.5/10 imo
 
Spy - 5/10
I don't know why it was nominated for a golden globe, but I didn't find it funny, sure it had some funny moments but not enough for my liking.
 
Landmine goes click. Wow crazy dark intense movie.Kinda on the same level as Hostel, the old straw dogs and last house on the left.Can't say I enjoyed it as a film but it was tense, disturbing and had me on the edge of my seat.

Apparently only a million dollar budget and the acting and production were all good. If you like dark disturbing films you should give this a watch. First half is a bit slow and laboured but the final act was very unexpected. Hard to rate due to the nature of the film.But being low budget and pulling it off its a disturbed 7/10 for me.

Also don't watch this with your lady, she'll want it turned off in a hurry.
 
Last edited:
My 3tb drive died on me. I'm mourning now. All my media was on there - my movie collection, my series and the kids' stuff. Mostly I'm broken up about the movies, I put a lot of work into that collection.
 
My 3tb drive died on me. I'm mourning now. All my media was on there - my movie collection, my series and the kids' stuff. Mostly I'm broken up about the movies, I put a lot of work into that collection.

Are you going to try and recover some things?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X