Movie Mini-Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saving Private Ryan lost to Shakespeare in Love.

yeah....and it still grates. Life is Beautiful, The Thin Red Line, Private Ryan...all would have been better. Shakespeare in Love does not stand the test of time too well.
 
The Revenant. 8.5/10

If you watched the rips that came out a while ago you cheated yourself. Possibly the most beautiful movie I've ever seen, and the sound design was amazing. Didn't think Sicario could be outdone for cinematography this year but The Revenant outstripped it by far.

That being said, Innaritu needs to be more disciplined with editing.

The acting was top notch, though if there was a choice for only one Oscar win for acting I think Tom Hardy deserves it more.

Agree with this. If the editing had been better, I would have given it an 8.5. The voice overs on the Indians were dam poor.
 
yeah....and it still grates. Life is Beautiful, The Thin Red Line, Private Ryan...all would have been better. Shakespeare in Love does not stand the test of time too well.

Watched it a couple of weeks ago and it most certainly does. Brilliant movie, as is Saving Private Ryan. They both make my best ever list.

The Thin Red Line 'tho... In case you missed me mentioning it here before, Terrence Malick has perpetrated the greatest fraud in Hollywood history by convincing people he can actually make a movie. I'm so done with him, oh, and I added ole' Alejandro to that same short list right after watching The Revenant.
 
Terrence Malick has perpetrated the greatest fraud in Hollywood history by convincing people he can actually make a movie. I'm so done with him, oh, and I added ole' Alejandro to that same short list right after watching The Revenant.

Tree of Life still has me scratching my head. Thought someone spliced a NatGeo special in it.
 
Watched it a couple of weeks ago and it most certainly does. Brilliant movie, as is Saving Private Ryan. They both make my best ever list.

The Thin Red Line 'tho... In case you missed me mentioning it here before, Terrence Malick has perpetrated the greatest fraud in Hollywood history by convincing people he can actually make a movie. I'm so done with him, oh, and I added ole' Alejandro to that same short list right after watching The Revenant.

We'll have to agree to disagree on both these.
 
Haven't seen Brooklyn, Room and Spotlight yet of the Oscar noms.

Of the ones I have seen (Mad Max, The Revenant, The Martian, Bridge of Spies, The Big Short), I'd be happy if The Revenant got best picture. The others range from being a fun time to being watchable drama (looking at you, Bridge of Spies) but not really what I think of when I think best picture.

Really keen to see Room.
 
Black Robe (1990) 9/10

An amazing film and far superior in my opinion to The Revenant.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X