Movie Mini-Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, it being a "black" movie aside, that I thought it deseved an Oscar nomination when I compare it to The Revenant. It really was one of the better movies of the last year.

Have to agree. I didn't really expect to enjoy this "Black" movie; not really hip-hop & rap but its an interesting story & well-told. The movie sells the "story" well.
 
Landmine Goes Click. 5/10. Nothing more than a vehicle for misogynists to get off on. Good idea turned into B movie exploitation.

We are what we are. 7/10. Slow to the shocking climax but thought provoking and well acted enough to keep you interested.
 
Oh yea thanks I'll watch this tonight.

Moon is excellent, one of the best sci-fi movies of the last few years.

Keen to hear your thoughts. Rylance is excellent. Well deserved, his Oscar nomination.

Anyhoo: The Revenant - 8.5/10.

Loved it. I understand some of the criticism, but I found it beautifully made. Lubezki is a shoe-in for the cinematography Oscar.

Made me very happy that I didn't have to live in those times. Brutal.
 
^^, Sicario also in with a shout, I think...haven't seen the Hateful 8 yet (bit ambivalent about it).
 
The Big Short (2015) 7/10

Well laid out & explained biographical movie about the financial crisis of 2007–2008. Steve Carell is on a roll these days; his character takes it.
 
Decided I'm not going to content myself with DVDSCR any longer, so watched Mozart in the Jungle instead. Gael Garcia Bernal is so great.

There are BRRips out for Bridge of Spies... but I couldn't watch it either... had unexpected visitors... I was so pissed off :mad:
 
Love (2015) - 5/10.


From the perv you brought you Irreversible. A love triangle peppered with unsimulated sex scenes. This is porn not art.
 
Spectre - 7/10
Not as bad as I thought it would be and not nearly as bad as many out there claims it is. But its not as good as Skyfall.

Pros:
Daniel Craig is not a cheesy bond ala Brosnan or Roger Moore.
Action scenes were good in my books, but could have been amazing.
The storyline was more linear. A welcome return to the storyline of Bond tracking the Evil guy to his hideout type story.
Also a welcome return to a proper henchman on the evil mastermind's side.
We got to see a bit more of Q and M which is always welcome.
That car!!

Cons:
Could have been a little bit funnier. It needs to find that good balance between a serious Bond and the overly funny (and cheesy) Bond of the 70's. Think more like Sean Connery and less than Roger Moore.
(Spoiler Alert! (For what its worth): Blofeld is Bond's stepbrother? Dafuqq? This is silly and overly dramatic and not needed. What's coming in the following movie? He finds out that Moneypenny is in fact his sister? :eek:
Christoph Walz was ok as Blofeld, but I expected more. Not as good a job as Javier Bardem did in Skyfall. It must be hard to be such a good actor as Christoph Walz. Everyone expects his next performance to top his previous one.
I wanted more gadgets. Not cheesy ones mind you, but proper spy gadgets that would feel welcome in a Stuff magazine. :)
 
Last edited:
Decided I'm not going to content myself with DVDSCR any longer, so watched Mozart in the Jungle instead. Gael Garcia Bernal is so great.

Yeah, I never bothered with any of those screeners. Watched it in full HD goodness.

Mozart in the Jungle is very good. Started watching it last week, too.

Thought Bernal looked familiar. Che's been busy...
 
Yeah, I never bothered with any of those screeners. Watched it in full HD goodness.

Mozart in the Jungle is very good. Started watching it last week, too.

Thought Bernal looked familiar. Che's been busy...

Yeah it takes some chutzpah to outshine Malcolm McDowell effortlessly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X