MTN Black Friday Discussions

RVR

Expert Member
Quick question.

Does the price change? Example you buy a promo/black Friday deal for like R500

Will the price remain the same over the years of the contract.

floatpoint

500 gb + 500 gb product code 2020991 CT 00024 BF
00025 is a iPhone 11 deal
Wow, and here I was set on cancelling in the next week and MTN does this. Today, I think I will lock in this offer if it is available to me (BF2016), else I see there is also talk of 150GB+150Gb for the same R299 I am paying for my current 60GB+60GB. As noted by I.am.Sam, we should have a 10day cooling period in which to cancel or choose a more preferred option should something else come up during black friday week. I would suggest those who are interested in the 500GB offer also lock it in as there might be limited slots available like some of the offerings I remember from the BF2018 period.

The new CEO probably doesn't want to start his term by losing a whole bulk of customers so instead captchas us for another 2 or 3 years by offering these ridiculous packages. The fact that 1TB of data can be offered for basically 50c/GB shows how much these ISP's are really coining it.

Quick question.

Does the price change? Example you buy a promo/black Friday deal for like R500

Will the price remain the same over the years of the contract.
I would assume so. If you enter into a contract at X amount, then that is the amount you will pay for the duration of the contract unless it is explicitly mentioned in that contract, or atleast until the last month of the contract where a balls up with accounting happens and you get a +R1000 bill instead of the usual R299 (hopefully that gets fixed soon).

rodga

Honorary Master
I would assume so. If you enter into a contract at X amount, then that is the amount you will pay for the duration of the contract unless it is explicitly mentioned in that contract, or atleast until the last month of the contract where a balls up with accounting happens and you get a +R1000 bill instead of the usual R299 (hopefully that gets fixed soon).

You would think that would be the case. But they increased the price of a bunch of peoples contracts after a couple of months of the last upgrade.

wizardofid

Executive Member
You would think that would be the case. But they increased the price of a bunch of peoples contracts after a couple of months of the last upgrade.
Actually those increases were related to the vat increase, mtn wasn't willing to absorb the vat increase.I paid R29 more on two contracts combined.We are unlikely to see that again soon. So what you are saying is they should have absorbed the vat increase like the good little overlords they are, or forget when you sign up for the contract they can increase the price, and should you not agree with increase you are able to cancel at any time. Makes sense.

It is clear people do not read the terms and conditions they sign up for and when some thing happens which MTN or any network provider is entitled to do, blame their overlords for some thing they should have been well aware of could happen. Boggles the mind. lol :)

If you aren't happy, DO NOT take out a contract, DO NOT use their services..........simple, no ?

sand_man

Honorary Master
Billie jean is pretty awesome and generally handles all the issues I had in the last few months that normal channels couldnt sort out.So guys dealing with her is in safe hands, she does have a full plate so replies might on the slow side but generally gets things done.
Sounds like you and her might be lovers.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Wow, and here I was set on cancelling in the next week and MTN does this. Today, I think I will lock in this offer if it is available to me (BF2016), else I see there is also talk of 150GB+150Gb for the same R299 I am paying for my current 60GB+60GB. As noted by I.am.Sam, we should have a 10day cooling period in which to cancel or choose a more preferred option should something else come up during black friday week. I would suggest those who are interested in the 500GB offer also lock it in as there might be limited slots available like some of the offerings I remember from the BF2018 period.

The new CEO probably doesn't want to start his term by losing a whole bulk of customers so instead captchas us for another 2 or 3 years by offering these ridiculous packages. The fact that 1TB of data can be offered for basically 50c/GB shows how much these ISP's are really coining it.

Network infrastructure, maintenance, battery theft, other losses is going to magically pay it self, you are aware MTN invested 20 odd billion in the last couple of years on their network, there has to be some return on the investment, and have a investment return goal. Last time I check business economics, return of investment is at the center of any large business.

Stevewarren

Guys that got the 500 + 500 what bundles did you get? I'm just interested to see if I got the same deal even though I was told it was 300 + 300.

Soapy_Bubbles

Actually those increases were related to the vat increase, mtn wasn't willing to absorb the vat increase.I paid R29 more on two contracts combined.We are unlikely to see that again soon. So what you are saying is they should have absorbed the vat increase like the good little overlords they are, or forget when you sign up for the contract they can increase the price, and should you not agree with increase you are able to cancel at any time. Makes sense.

It is clear people do not read the terms and conditions they sign up for and when some thing happens which MTN or any network provider is entitled to do, blame their overlords for some thing they should have been well aware of could happen. Boggles the mind. lol :)

If you aren't happy, DO NOT take out a contract, DO NOT use their services..........simple, no ?

It wasn’t so much that they changed the cost, but the changed contract type. 3 months in, I went from a contract that allowed me to purchase call bundles to a data only contract. I didn’t sign for a data only contract, but what can I do, right?

Duke of Hazard

There's more (different) deals on the MTN site now.

Interested in this but concerned about paying R250/m for a R750 mifi router.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201120-072635_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201120-072635_Chrome.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 81

Mshaikh20846

1TB anytime data
a9bcedd82d8115ca25fbefde3d89f191.jpg

Tech_

Just looked at my Nov bill and its R1604.16 from R419.00
I assume its due to the BF deal coming to an end and now they charging me for all the extras, I want to upgrade just waiting to find a good deal.
Should I contact them about this billing issue or are they aware?

wizardofid

Executive Member
It wasn’t so much that they changed the cost, but the changed contract type. 3 months in, I went from a contract that allowed me to purchase call bundles to a data only contract. I didn’t sign for a data only contract, but what can I do, right?

Um you call still buy bundles. MTN took away the ability to add ahoc voice minutes this was due to old contracts system before bigger data packages was on offer as it was clashing with their offerings in their current form.

So completely understand why they updated their contracts in this way. It wasn't unfair they were simply changing the way contracts work sure the value is worse for data contracts now but it is data contracts after all, they didn't sell phones with data contracts they sold modems and routers.Now they properly split their voice and data contracts at least.If you aren't happy with that you know what to do

voice.jpg

Duke of Hazard

Seems like it's best to go in store to upgrade,

I want to get the 150 +150 deal but not if it's locked to a specific router/without Data share, or the 100gb for R299 with the R750 cash router being R250/m of that R299/m

If anyone gets these deals, please post details, if I go first I'll post details this weekend.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Also it was more than a 1% increase which the VAT went up by.

I have no idea how they worked that out, but it isn't like they went out of their way to shaft people in the process, I went from R299 to R319 and when I upgraded from the mychoice 10gig to mychoice20 gig it is back at R299 again. R19 is peanuts and is reasonable enough, I can live with that.